Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kia sent us few official images of 2021 Kia Optima yesterday.
New Kia Optima looks very polarizing at first, but let’s see
what the new guys has compared to Kia Optima 2019.
I just wanted to quickly share the design of new Kia optima with you guys.
Alright let’s get started!

Attachments

·
Registered
533 Posts
I think it looks stunning. The front has a 90's Mitsubishi Galant thing going on, but in a good way. I much prefer it to the current model.

I'm absolutely fuming that we're not getting this car in the UK though, yet Kia are happy to sell us the Stonic, Niro, Sportage, Xceed and Sorento - an endless stream of SUVs that I'm simply not interested in owning.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I'm absolutely fuming that we're not getting this car in the UK though, yet Kia are happy to sell us the Stonic, Niro, Sportage, Xceed and Sorento - an endless stream of SUVs that I'm simply not interested in owning.
The styling isn't terribly important to me and, besides, one man's meat is another man's poison.

That said, although I can't get worked up about it, if indeed the Optima range is deleted from the UK market, then it will be as a result of advice from their bean counters. To be fair, it hasn't been a big seller in the UK in recent years as more and more style-conscious buyers have opted to join the herd buying these lookalike SUV-type vehicles, which KIA seems happy to provide for every sector of the market.

There is a few that I find fairly appealing but I prefer estate cars so I'll weigh up the situation in a couple of years, by which time the market may look quite different from that of today.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I just wish Kia would continue to sell the Optima. Being 6ft 7 it has the perfect blend of interior space married to sensible running costs. None of the other SUVs in the range can match this for me. The only one that gets close is the Sportage, but even that isn't as roomy inside, as nice inside or as frugal as my Optima.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
The only one that gets close is the Sportage, but even that isn't as roomy inside, as nice inside or as frugal as my Optima.
I agree that I find the Sportage disappointing and a little cramped inside compared to my car and unless KIA come up with something akin to my SW before I start a short-list for my next car, I shall probably look elsewhere.

That's still quite a long way off but right at this moment, I'm finding myself attracted to Volvo's V60 & V90 range.

·
Registered
226 Posts
What a shame! The Optima, especially the Sportswagon model is just so underrated.

Don’t know what the annual unit volume sales might be, but there is very much a half decent demand sector for estate cars in the UK and I just wonder how much the lack of marketing effort by Kia has contributed to this.

It seems like a bit of inertia to me, especially when Skoda (Superb and the brilliant new Octavia), Volvo (V60 and 90), Mercedes C and E class, BMW 3 and 5 series........... continue to supply this sector with models which continue to evolve in design and new features, even still including diesel variants.

Kia definitely missing a trick in the UK somewhere.

As Indalo comments, it’s probably the bean counters and as a retired bean counter I have to say they can be an absolute menace in the boardroom.

·
Registered
533 Posts
It's a shame because before the 2016+ models came around the Optima was an extremely rare sight on our roads, but since then, and especially since the SW came on stream I see a lot of them on our roads, sure not as much as say the Sportage but I no longer go 'ooh an Optima' when I see one, which is daily now instead of maybe once a month. In this age of offering a niche car for every segment, this seems like a step backwards for Kia. A large saloon, and especially an estate make for excellent family cars. I can see myself going over to Volvo or Skoda because of this decision.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I know it seems trivial to mention it here but I'm composing a list of items in my SW that I would really like to see in any replacement vehicle I might consider. These three are must-haves for me although there are several others I would be loath to sacrifice:

1) Heated steering wheel.

2) Electric handbrake.

3) Auto-hold.

It seems that very few of the current range of KIAs actually have all of those features and while I am not enamoured by the Hill-hold utility on some models, the Auto-hold feature is a whole, different animal, having proved faultless in my three-year ownership.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I know it seems trivial to mention it here but I'm composing a list of items in my SW that I would really like to see in any replacement vehicle I might consider. These three are must-haves for me although there are several others I would be loath to sacrifice:

1) Heated steering wheel.

2) Electric handbrake.

3) Auto-hold.

It seems that very few of the current range of KIAs actually have all of those features and while I am not enamoured by the Hill-hold utility on some models, the Auto-hold feature is a whole, different animal, having proved faultless in my three-year ownership.
My wish list is:

A torque converter auto box (unlikely but I don't like the sound of these current DCTs)

Self park

Auto Hold (this has been brilliant in my auto Optima)

Heated leather seats

A stereo that's as good as the one in my Optima

·
Registered
97 Posts
I recently went from my Optima GT Line S to a Tucson - it was only Hyundai and Kia that could match my must-have list

Keyless
Glass roof
Opening Sunroof
Electric Tailgate
Electric seats
Heated seats
Cooled seats
Adaptive Cruise control
12v boot
Camera - rear
Camera - 360
Blind spot Alerts
Cross traffic alert
Android auto
8 Speakers
Auto wipers
Auto headlights
LED headlights
Sunglasses holder

·
Registered
226 Posts
I recently went from my Optima GT Line S to a Tucson - it was only Hyundai and Kia that could match my must-have list

Keyless
Glass roof
Opening Sunroof
Electric Tailgate
Electric seats
Heated seats
Cooled seats
Adaptive Cruise control
12v boot
Camera - rear
Camera - 360
Blind spot Alerts
Cross traffic alert
Android auto
8 Speakers
Auto wipers
Auto headlights
LED headlights
Sunglasses holder
These are all definite "must haves" .

The sliding, tilt panoramic sun roof is just a pure treat. It is so much better than other many other prestigious makes and sad that Kia haven't apparently got it right in the Stinger.

·
Registered
519 Posts
My vote goes to the contactless opening rear tailgate - really useful when returning to the vehicle hands full of shopping in a wet car park!

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
My vote goes to the contactless opening rear tailgate - really useful when returning to the vehicle hands full of shopping in a wet car park!
It's a great boon when laden with shopping bags. Some cars demand that one waggles a leg beneath the rear bumper or whatever one calls the back end these days - fine for some perhaps but I'd probably fall on my arse if I tried that!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts