Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering changing my Sportage for the smaller Niro Hybrid and wondered is there a space saver wheel I can buy to fit the Niro. The Niro Hybrid I'm considering has 18 inch wheels.

·
Super Moderator
4,314 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Just remember that its unlikely the Niro has space under the floor to fit a spare, the ProCeed GT didn't hen we looked at it. You will need to sit it in the boot and loose space so make sure before you buy the boot will be big enough.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just remember that its unlikely the Niro has space under the floor to fit a spare, the ProCeed GT didn't hen we looked at it. You will need to sit it in the boot and loose space so make sure before you buy the boot will be big enough.
Thank you a very good piece of advice.

·
Super Moderator
4,314 Posts
It has. Well certainly my 2020 HEV has.
There is a removable storage tray (would take pic, but its too cold out) which when taken out gives plenty of room.

Nice u-tube video showing exactly what you want.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
I am considering changing my Sportage for the smaller Niro Hybrid and wondered is there a space saver wheel I can buy to fit the Niro. The Niro Hybrid I'm considering has 18 inch wheels.
I fitted a full-size spare wheel and tyre into the well of my 2018-plate Niro 4 with 18" wheels.
I bought it brand new, for about £180 or thereabouts, from my dealer Birchwood Motors, Washington, West Sussex. OK, its only a a steel wheel and a budget tyre but it is only for emergency use, and I wouldn't be restricted to 50mph.

Reactions: iooi

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
I fitted a full-size spare wheel and tyre into the well of my 2018-plate Niro 4 with 18" wheels.
I bought it brand new, for about £180 or thereabouts, from my dealer Birchwood Motors, Washington, West Sussex. OK, its only a a steel wheel and a budget tyre but it is only for emergency use, and I wouldn't be restricted to 50mph.
I forgot to mention that the spare came with tools (jack, wheel brace etc) and the correct foam wheel fittings. It struck me as a very good price and it was bought from a Kia main dealer and was guaranteed to fit correctly.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Yes you would. Had 4 cars with full size steel spares with OEM sized tyres (2 came as standard) and because the steel wheels are a different construction to the road wheels you are still restricted to 50 mph. The cars they came standard on was a Ford Puma and a Ford Mondeo. When I saw the yellow 50mph sticker I went back to the dealer to find out why I had a full size spare that i could not use like a normal wheel, he explained the construction and use rules about mixing wheel types and all was clear. The Mondeo we had a few years later was the same.

Wife had a Nissan Note that came with 15" alloys with 185 65 15 tyres and no spare. We bought a steel wheel/tyre from an internet supplier in exactly the same sizes as standard and a sticker was supplied but not applied since some Notes came with steel wheels. A few months later we bought a full set of steel wheels with winter tyres and whilst we were restricted to 50 mph using the steel wheel with 3 alloys on the car we could use the steel wheel with 3 steels on the car with no speed restriction (other than the speed limits of course). The rules seem strange at times.

But beware, should you have an accident with the steel spare on the car its very possible that the insurance company will decline you cover if its proven you were doing more than 50 mph.

Regardless of all that I still prefer a full size wheel to a wheelbarrow wheel even if I cannot go any faster legally.

And why pay £180, most we have paid on the internet (MyTyres and Oponeo) is about £80 all in for a new wheel and budget tyre.

Here is the cheapest on Mytyres. Its a 16" rim but the overall circumference willl be the same and that all that matters. Complete steel wheels with summer tyres for Kia NIRO HYBRID @ mytyres.co.uk..

No need for TPMS on the spare. £107 all in.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Yes you would. Had 4 cars with full size steel spares with OEM sized tyres (2 came as standard) and because the steel wheels are a different construction to the road wheels you are still restricted to 50 mph. The cars they came standard on was a Ford Puma and a Ford Mondeo. When I saw the yellow 50mph sticker I went back to the dealer to find out why I had a full size spare that i could not use like a normal wheel, he explained the construction and use rules about mixing wheel types and all was clear. The Mondeo we had a few years later was the same.

Wife had a Nissan Note that came with 15" alloys with 185 65 15 tyres and no spare. We bought a steel wheel/tyre from an internet supplier in exactly the same sizes as standard and a sticker was supplied but not applied since some Notes came with steel wheels. A few months later we bought a full set of steel wheels with winter tyres and whilst we were restricted to 50 mph using the steel wheel with 3 alloys on the car we could use the steel wheel with 3 steels on the car with no speed restriction (other than the speed limits of course). The rules seem strange at times.

But beware, should you have an accident with the steel spare on the car its very possible that the insurance company will decline you cover if its proven you were doing more than 50 mph.

Regardless of all that I still prefer a full size wheel to a wheelbarrow wheel even if I cannot go any faster legally.

And why pay £180, most we have paid on the internet (MyTyres and Oponeo) is about £80 all in for a new wheel and budget tyre.

Here is the cheapest on Mytyres. Its a 16" rim but the overall circumference willl be the same and that all that matters. Complete steel wheels with summer tyres for Kia NIRO HYBRID @ mytyres.co.uk..

No need for TPMS on the spare. £107 all in.
Very interesting. I checked my spare on reading your post and it doesn't have the yellow sticker, or anything referring to the construction ad use rules, speed limit etc. I'll enquire when it goes in for service next month. Meanwhile, I'll bear it in mind if I get a flat. Many thanks.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I'll enquire when it goes in for service next month. Meanwhile, I'll bear it in mind if I get a flat. Many thanks.
Don't take it as gospel if they tell you all is OK because its not. Its quite simple, a wheel/tyre that is different to the other 3 (even if its the same size) is regarded as temporary and restricted to 50 mph.

Taken from the internet "Spare tyres vary and can be full-size or temporary space saver tyres which are much thinner than a standard car tyre and are not intended for extended use. They are designed to get you home or to your nearest garage and usually cannot be used at speeds of more than 50mph. The maximum speed at which you can use the spare is usually printed on a sticker on the side of the wheel. However, if your spare tyre is lacking this sticker, try to keep your speed to a maximum of 30mph until you can reach help"

The last line seems a bit extreme but I suspect they are simply covering themselves. But they also fail to mention that a wheel identical to the other 4 (including material) has no limit.

·
Super Moderator
4,314 Posts
Not sure on the above.

If you are going to quote the internet, than at least provide a link to the quote. As it is possible it relates to another country.

The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986
Makes no mention of not being able to mix steel & alloy wheels.

This is the only mention of spare wheels.
(3) Save as provided in paragraph (4) a wheel of a vehicle may not be fitted with a temporary use spare tyre unless either—

(a)the vehicle is a passenger vehicle (not being a bus) first used before 1st April 1987; or

(b)the vehicle complies at the time of its first use with ECE Regulation 64.

Again makes not mention of any difference in wheel construction material.

Tyres on the same axle must be of the same size and aspect ratio, again no mention of the wheel.

Reactions: Llanigraham

·
Registered
169 Posts
Very interesting. I checked my spare on reading your post and it doesn't have the yellow sticker, or anything referring to the construction ad use rules, speed limit etc. I'll enquire when it goes in for service next month. Meanwhile, I'll bear it in mind if I get a flat. Many thanks.
I can find no reference in Law about having a speed restriction because one wheel is of a different construction to the others. The only reason I can find that says that speed is restricted and that the wheel must have a warning affixed is where the wheel size and tyre width is different to the other wheels fitted.
I do know that the few Skoda Yetis that were fitted with 16" alloy wheels (poverty spec models!) could be supplied with a 16" steel wheel of the same size and same tyre size and that they did not have any speed warning fitted.

That is confirmed by iooi's post above.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Done some more research and found a couple of urban myths regarding the restriction of speed if the wheel is a different material. Most common seems to be the wheel nuts/bolts used for steels is different to alloys and do not fix a wheel on properly. If that were true the manufacturer and driver would be held responsible for causing an accident should a wheel come adrift. But I know its does not happen since on the cars we have had with steel spares the nuts/bolts have always used the same seats.

Another urban myth suggests its the way parts are fed onto the production line and some cars get wheels with stickers when they don't need them and some cars don't get stickers when they do, as daft as the above reason.

But looking on one forum I use some members have a very bad attitude to this, they simply suggest taking the sticker off and ignoring the warning.

I for one will continue to travel at 50mph if I need to fit a spare made of a different material (even if its the same size but the rest you can continue as you like. But if a car ever runs into me and I spot it has a steel spare fitted with no sticker I will be calling plod immediately. Where there's blame there's a claim.

·
Super Moderator
4,314 Posts
I for one will continue to travel at 50mph if I need to fit a spare made of a different material (even if its the same size but the rest you can continue as you like. But if a car ever runs into me and I spot it has a steel spare fitted with no sticker I will be calling plod immediately. Where there's blame there's a claim.
So you assumption is based on "urban myths" & not actual regulations or laws....

Feel free to do as you wish, but do not be disappointed when your claim is thrown out.

This is one of the dangers of the internet. people see something, take it as gospel, do not make any checks to see if someone is simply joking and then spread it on.

It is very much like the 10%+2 mph that people stated by many, was law on speed limits (so doing 36 in a 30 was legal). Failing to take note that it was only a guideline from the Police and Crime Commissioners. NOT the actual law that meant 31 mph in a 30 could see you fined for exceeding the limit.

·
Registered
963 Posts
So you assumption is based on "urban myths" & not actual regulations or laws....
Do you not read past posts before making making assumptions that are incorrect.

To put the record strait my first comment about this matter was in post #8 where I said "Had 4 cars with full size steel spares with OEM sized tyres (2 came as standard) and because the steel wheels are a different construction to the road wheels you are still restricted to 50 mph. The cars they came standard on was a Ford Puma and a Ford Mondeo". For starters I do not believe anything I read on the internet before checking it out but in 1999 when we bought the Puma we did not have smart phones or the internet. then I went on to say "I went back to the dealer to find out why I had a full size spare that i could not use like a normal wheel, he explained the construction and use rules about mixing wheel types and all was clear" and since then I have read further info that says exactly the same thing. But what advantage was it for the Ford dealer to lie to me?

No apology needed, not that I would expect one.

·
Super Moderator
4,314 Posts
As I said in #11 where is your proof other than 2 wheels in cars (were they exactly the same size wheel & tyre, and not different rim/tyre size?) & urban myth.

As you can see from the C/U regs. There is no mention of such regulation. So was your dealer just explaining that due to different size that is why, but not worded it well?

·
Registered
963 Posts
As I said in #11 where is your proof other than 2 wheels in cars (were they exactly the same size wheel & tyre, and not different rim/tyre size?) & urban myth.

As you can see from the C/U regs. There is no mention of such regulation. So was your dealer just explaining that due to different size that is why, but not worded it well?
If you had read post 8 you would see that in the first paragraph I had clearly stated that the wheels were full size steels and the tyres OEM size. I have pasted that part of the post below.

Yes you would. Had 4 cars with full size steel spares with OEM sized tyres (2 came as standard) and because the steel wheels are a different construction to the road wheels you are still restricted to 50 mph. The cars they came standard on was a Ford Puma and a Ford Mondeo.
Last night I checked the price lists for the 2 Superbs and the Fabia we have bought since 2017. Skoda fit glue and compressor as standard but offer a "Temporary space saver steel spare wheel" or a "Temporary Steel spare wheel". The space saver is obvious, the temporary steel spare should be as well but to confirm on our cars it is a full size steel wheel with and OEM size tyre. In the price lists there is a single asterisk after each item and when you refer to the bottom of the page its clearly states that "spare wheels are restricted to 50 mph", that is why they have a 50 mph (80 kph) sticker on them.

So the C & U may not be 100% correct but since Ford in 1999 and 2002 and Skoda in 2017, 2018 and 2020 clearly use the same rules its surely not just to use up stickers.

Looking on the Skoda forum it seems many owners have a solution, they remove the stickers and drive at whatever speed "they" think is safe despite Skoda knowing a lot more than they do.

Just to confirm I am not making it up to annoy you, this is the facts on 5 cars we have owned or still own.

Are you comfortable about advising owners to use the steel spares at any over 50 mph now? What happens if they follow your advice and have an accident or get pulled by the Police and get a fine. Don't think that "I have read its OK on the Kia Forum" will work.

Its not an Urban Myth with the Skodas, I have the info in front of me.

·
Super Moderator
4,314 Posts
I'm not advising anyone. People can make their own minds up.
All I have done is linked to the relevant regulations.

I do not think you are doing it to annoy me. Debate is good. Just linking to prove a point, helps no end. But I get what you are saying about Skoda.

The argument "well it I saw it was legal here" would not wash with the police anyway. Thankfully, they believe in personal responsibility, if you are breaking the law :)

Anyway. We will agree to disagree.

·
Registered
963 Posts
The argument "well it I saw it was legal here" would not wash with the police anyway. Thankfully, they believe in personal responsibility, if you are breaking the law :)
Several Forums I am active on remove posts that give advice that could cause the Forum problems should that advice cause financial loss, injury or be illegal on the basis the Forum could potentially be held partly liable. Clearly the owners of this forum have no such concerns possibly since they are not in the UK.

·
Registered
169 Posts
If you had read post 8 you would see that in the first paragraph I had clearly stated that the wheels were full size steels and the tyres OEM size. I have pasted that part of the post below.

Last night I checked the price lists for the 2 Superbs and the Fabia we have bought since 2017. Skoda fit glue and compressor as standard but offer a "Temporary space saver steel spare wheel" or a "Temporary Steel spare wheel". The space saver is obvious, the temporary steel spare should be as well but to confirm on our cars it is a full size steel wheel with and OEM size tyre. In the price lists there is a single asterisk after each item and when you refer to the bottom of the page its clearly states that "spare wheels are restricted to 50 mph", that is why they have a 50 mph (80 kph) sticker on them.
And the spare wheels Skoda supply on those models are thinner and of a different diameter to the wheels fitted as standard, therefore the speed restriction is correct.
I can also confirm that the wheel nuts used by Skoda are interchangeable between steel and alloy wheels, and have been for over 10 years. I have driven Skodas equipped as such since 2010!

So the C & U may not be 100% correct but since Ford in 1999 and 2002 and Skoda in 2017, 2018 and 2020 clearly use the same rules its surely not just to use up stickers.
Considering that the Construction & Use Regulations are the Law I doubt very much that Ford or Skoda have not been abiding by them!

Looking on the Skoda forum it seems many owners have a solution, they remove the stickers and drive at whatever speed "they" think is safe despite Skoda knowing a lot more than they do.

Just to confirm I am not making it up to annoy you, this is the facts on 5 cars we have owned or still own.
All that proves is some owners are idiots and are willing to break the Law.

Are you comfortable about advising owners to use the steel spares at any over 50 mph now? What happens if they follow your advice and have an accident or get pulled by the Police and get a fine. Don't think that "I have read its OK on the Kia Forum" will work.
If the wheels and tyres are the same size as the other 3 wheels and tyres fitted to the car then it would be perfectly legal and safe to drive at ANY legal speed limit.

Its not an Urban Myth with the Skodas, I have the info in front of me.
Forums are full of urban myths, BriSkoda especially!!
They do not make the Law.

Reactions: Drwho2
1 - 20 of 21 Posts