Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of days ago i decided to fill up the rank with Shell 90 octane diesel.
Having driven 10 miles i started to notice the car seemed to be pulling back on me wgen i tried to accelerate.
This only seemed to get worse. At the end of my journey some 110 miles later i parked it for a few hours.
When i returned to restart it, it turned over for a while, before starting with a cough and a splutter. When pressing on the accelerator pedal, it felt as though it was mis firing. The car will drive but is still hit and miss and every time i turn off the engine, getting it started again is a nightmare.
I was told it was probably dirty fuel?
I have run the tank down now, as i was going to take this to a garage.
Is this my only fix or would filling the tank from my normal garage flush out the dirt? Any advice would be appreciated as money is tight at the moment. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
530 Posts
did you put the correct fuel in ? if your car is diesel try smelling near the fuel filler for petrol fumes (preferably check the receipt)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2 questions:
Is your motor vehicle diesel or petrol?
Was the tank filled up with diesel or petrol?

... I ask because you specified 90 octane.
This is something i have wracked my brain with since putting it in. My car is a diesel and ive almost emptied all that was put in plus more so surely the engine would have seized by now if i had put the wrong fuel in??
Totally useless when it comes to cars i have to admit

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You cannot buy 90 Octane petrol in the UK. E10 is 95 octane, E5 is 97+ octane.

Diesel is not rated by an Octane number, its rated by the Cetane number. Standard diesel is 51 Cetane, Super diesel is 53+ cetane.

So what did you actually fill it with?
Im going back to the petrol station to double check it. My head says diesel but now i am doubting myself. I thought unleaded pipes wouldnt fit a diesel outlet. Or is that something else ive bolloxed.

·
Registered
296 Posts
This is something i have wracked my brain with since putting it in. My car is a diesel and ive almost emptied all that was put in plus more so surely the engine would have seized by now if i had put the wrong fuel in??
Totally useless when it comes to cars i have to admit
How much of this mystery fuel did you put in?
How much was already in the tank before you put this fuel in?

A few accurate details go a long way to allow people to help you....

If you only put £10 in when the tank was half full it might have been the wrong fuel, it'd run but not very nicely. If you put £60 it was almost certainly the correct fuel as You'd not get 100+ miles if the majority of the fuel in the tank was petrol.

The engine would not seize if you put the wrong fuel in. It would stop running and refuse to restart (very different from a seizure)
If you were unlucky you might suffer damage to injectors and fuel pump. However Most mis fuellling incidents can be sorted by draining the fuel and putting the right stuff in, without further damage being done.

If you have any sort of warranty then keep the car away from a Kia dealership.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
The engine would not seize if you put the wrong fuel in. It would stop running and refuse to restart (very different from a seizure)
If you were unlucky you might suffer damage to injectors and fuel pump.
From the original post

At the end of my journey some 110 miles later
So it looks like the OP did 110 miles. If there was substantial amount of petrol put in the pump will without doubt be damaged.

Lets hope it was not petrol but bad diesel containing water that is causing the issue.

·
Super Moderator
9,448 Posts
If it was the wrong fuel, this thread is a good starting point...

But would be really nice to know what car @stevepwh1264 has, to rule out known issues...

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
...surely the engine would have seized by now if i had put the wrong fuel in??
not necessarily, I don't know what car or engine you have, but some older tech diesel engines will run just fine with some petrol and no permanent damage will be caused. Petrol can be used to raise the freezing point of diesel, but only according to the user manual of course.

I have run the tank down now, as i was going to take this to a garage.
...would filling the tank from my normal garage flush out the dirt? ...money is tight at the moment.
You can spend money on preventative maintenance, or just hope for the best.
If you do not want to spend more money on it then fill the tank with new diesel, and keep it full for the next few weeks so that if there is actually any petrol in there it will be as diluted as possible. Add a few ml of 2 stroke oil in the tank, about 5ml per tank, to add additional lubrication for the diesel pump.

If you have a replaceable diesel filter, then replace that.

Worst case, you may experience more trouble later on, but any damage that may have occurred is probably already done by now. Many people who have filled petrol into diesel by mistake report that no further problems.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Proceed CD GT Line 1.4 T GDI
107 Posts
I had a 2011 Cee'd 1.6CRDI, regular trips to the dealer to get fuel filter changed out (at least 3 in the 5 years I owned it).
And I rarely used supermarket fuels...except the one time (Tesco) that the car started acting up the same way the OPs car was...almost got to the stage of a total fuel lock and caused the car to cut out. Had to limp home (10km). New fuel filter sorted it out.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I have always used supermarket fuel and never had any problems.
Has Jack Daniels said you can put petrol in diesels. Back in the 70/80's I used to put a gallon or two of petrol in with the diesel to stop it freezing up. I imagine the put in some additive nowadays.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I have always used supermarket fuel and never had any problems.
Has Jack Daniels said you can put petrol in diesels. Back in the 70/80's I used to put a gallon or two of petrol in with the diesel to stop it freezing up. I imagine the put in some additive nowadays.
When we bought our first diesel (VW Golf) the advice given in the handbook was to add a certain percentage of petrol (dependent on the temperature) to prevent the diesel waxing. In the 7 years we had that care we never needed to since by the mid 90's all UK garages sold "winter diesel" between November and April to prevent waxing, just like they still do. But that diesel was old school, mechanical pump and none of the complicated common rail systems like todays cars. Would also guess that the modern DPF would not appreciate petrol either.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts