Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seems to have been a recent upsurge of newbies who seem to lack event the most basic manners:

1st post simply states a problem or symptom - no hello, no please, not even actually a question.

1st post not in Introductions - so clearly not interested in joining the forum, just want free help.

1st post is in Introductions, but it's not an introduction it is asking a model specific question

Seems to me that these folk are joining the forum for only selfish reasons and I for one am disinclined to help.....or is it just me being a grumpy old git?

·
Super Moderator
2,442 Posts
You have to remember not everyone is internet/forum savvy.

Would be nice if you come to a forum for help. you at least say thanks for any answers and stay around. But that is not the way many people use forums.
Probably find these people used to pop into a garage and ask the same questions and then go elsewhere.

Personally been using internet for 20+ years. I started pre Freeserve. Have been a mod & run my own forum long ago.

·
Administrator
7,438 Posts
It's a well known fact that most who join a forum like this its because they need help/advice with an issue.

We're a open public forum and easily found on Google search which accepts instant membership to post your question.

Once the question is asked and subsequently answered you don't hear from them again because the issue is sorted and, as you state, they didn't join. here to be part of a community, but to find the answer to their problem.

However, even though this 'frustrates some here, we all do it in a way.

For example, I rang my internet provider with an issue with my fibre broadband and the guy was very helpful and sorted it....but I confess, I have no intention of ringing again and now that it's sorted, that's it.

However, there are some who do stay and be part of the community....I joined eight years ago to find out what people here thought of the Venga, then got friendly with other members and been here ever since.

Since my joining, I have made many online friends here and even great friends with an ex Mod here who my wife and I visit in Edinburgh and holiday with them in the Lake District.

This is why I stay as your Admin, as to ensure that we cater for members who simply want a instant fix answer and for those, like yourself, stay and be part of this community.

Even though if a member wants to only ask a question, I happily help if I can in the knowledge I helped someone.

In summary, for those the kiaownersclub helped sort your Kia out.....your welcome.

For those who stick around and post often.... I, other regular members and the one question gone tomorrow joiners thank you.

Paul

Admin

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
1st post not in Introductions - so clearly not interested in joining the forum, just want free help.

Seems to me that these folk are joining the forum for only selfish reasons and I for one am disinclined to help.....or is it just me being a grumpy old git?
I agree that there does seem to have been an increase of late in exactly the kind of posting ’Turnup’ describes.

The worst culprits, in my book, are those who head straight for KIA Customer Support, completely bypassing the plebs - the ordinary forum members - thinking they will head straight to the top with a post usually devoid of any internet forum niceties.

There was one yesterday from an Optima owner, as yet unanswered, which fitted that description and it can remain that way, as far as I’m concerned. The poster can easily find the answer to his question by popping into his nearest KIA dealership.

·
Super Moderator
2,442 Posts
Indalo.
Just had a look at that post.
Don't know if you noticed but the user is from Italy. (flag under username) I also checked their IP.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I do understand that some new users join to find some help with a particular problem they have and some do stick around and become parto of the community so fair enough. This does not excuse the plain rudeness, no please no thankyou no confirmation that the problem was found, and sometimes not even asking for help just stating the problem.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
the user is from Italy. (flag under username)
Unless I’m mistaken, the flag you mention is the Irish tricolour. As an Irish passport holder since a couple of weeks ago, I can vouch for the colours of the Irish flag!😄🇮🇪

ps The Italian one looks like this: 🇮🇹

·
Registered
150 Posts
I am on a couple of car related websites and I would say that it has become much more common for people to make just one post with a question and then never post again after being replied to.

·
Super Moderator
2,442 Posts
Unless I’m mistaken, the flag you mention is the Irish tricolour. As an Irish passport holder since a couple of weeks ago, I can vouch for the colours of the Irish flag!😄🇮🇪

ps The Italian one looks like this: 🇮🇹
I stand corrected.
You are correct sir.
Time to brush up on my flags 🍌

1 - 11 of 11 Posts