Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had my iPhone XR for some time, and Bluetooth and usb connection and Apple CarPlay work just fine, but only tried to link to Connected Services via hotspot recently. Phone appears in Wi-fi available connections list OK, and when selected asks for password (which I have user set on phone). However after putting in password and touching OK, I get a message on screen saying ‘network error’ with options to retry or cancel.
I have tried everything I can think of, including network settings reset on phone without success.
My Galaxy J6 (with latest Android update) connects via hotspot OK, and I can Wi-fi connect car to my home hub with no problem on my drive.
Anyone else come across this, or have any ideas on how to resolve?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Anyone else come across this, or have any ideas on how to resolve?
I can't say I have encountered that problem 'Colr' but my first thought is: Does your provider permit tethering, as I am given to understand that not all do.

That apart, I suppose you have tried clearing all previous connection information for Wi-Fi. If you have rid the phone of superfluous Wi-Fi sources such as airports, coffee shops and the like; done the 'Forget This Phone' thing, then I can't think why it won't connect.

Is this another glitch, I wonder, that might miraculously disappear by turning off the fuse switch for a little while?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Indalo. Both iPhone and Samsung J6 are similar contracts with BT, both permitting tethering.
Resetting networks dumps all previous WiFi connections - that’s why I did it only as a last resort, since I now need to renew all the previous connections as and when I reconnect.
Fortunately, I don't seem to have much use for connected services anyway.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Thanks, Indalo. Both iPhone and Samsung J6 are similar contracts with BT, both permitting tethering.
Resetting networks dumps all previous WiFi connections - that’s why I did it only as a last resort, since I now need to renew all the previous connections as and when I reconnect.
Fortunately, I don't seem to have much use for connected services anyway.
That's not good 'Colr' and it would bother me as it should work. My phone is the iPhone X and since I adopted a particular routine, my phone has hooked up, showing the Wi-Fi symbol and providing tethering allowing data downloads to the satnav 99 times out of 100. Previously, connecting the USB sometimes failed to make the full connection although the phone was showing on the list.

For what it's worth, this is the routine I adopted:

1) Enter car via push button on door - keyfob in pocket.

2) Buckle up seat belt, switch on ignition and connect USB cable.

3) Select personal hotspot on phone and confirm password.

4) Start engine, select autohold - check infotainment screen for Wi-Fi symbol.

5) Select gear and drive away.

That is a little long-winded but I have tried different approaches to the connection business and this one seems to work almost every time.

Perhaps someone else who reads these pages with more expertise than me in electrickery can solve your issue.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK. For anyone interested, here’s an update. Tested with alternative SIM card - no change. Tested with someone else’s iPhone 8 Plus - worked fine. Concluded issue must be with my particular phone, so spoke at length with Apple support. Bottom line suggestion is back up, erase all, then restore via iTunes to get fresh copy of latest iOS installed, and retest hotspot connection as a ‘new phone’. Or wait for iOS 13 release. So I have to decide whether it’s worth the trouble for the dubious benefits of getting connected services via iPhone rather than Samsung J6. Still thinking about it. If I do decide to reinstall, I’ll post the result

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I have to decide whether it’s worth the trouble for the dubious benefits of getting connected services via iPhone rather than Samsung J6. Still thinking about it. If I do decide to reinstall, I’ll post the result
I'm interested 'Colr' and would be grateful if you would keep me (and, I'm sure, other interested forum readers) abreast of developments.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had the same issue as Colr, but then I just renamed my iPhone and paired it again. Now it connects every time.
Thank you so much RANE, it was that simple!
I have iPhone XR, and the phone name included the ‘R in a box’ as Apple show it. The car doesn’t seem to like that, because I’ve just changed it to an ordinary upper case R, and hotspot connection now works exactly as it should.
I had previously noticed that when car screen showed phone name there was a box without an R in it, but failed to recognise the significance.
Lesson learnt!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts