Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an iPhone 12 Pro and a new Kia Sportage GT Line S HEV. My phone connects to the car and when I get in it updates recent calls etc. However, it will not store or show the contacts list from my phone. When you hit the download button in the contacts page it appears to download the contacts but then it shows the message "No Contacts". I've tried my son's iPhone (same model) with exactly the same results. Any suggestions please?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I take it this is via Bluetooth & not using cable?

Which version IOS?
Yeas this is using Bluetooth. If i connect with a USB cable all of the contacts on my iPhone are available on the KIA screen, but I really don't want to have to connect and disconnect every time I get into and out of the car. I'm just staggered that a car with so much Tech stumbles over this relatively simple function .The latest IOS is loaded on the phone.

Super Moderator
There have been some issues with recent IOS version causing problems going back to IOS 14. As they change the API coding which breaks links.

Might be worthwhile to check your car has the latest software.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There have been some issues with recent IOS version causing problems going back to IOS 14. As they change the API coding which breaks links.

Might be worthwhile to check your car has the latest software.

The car is the latest Sportage HEV model and I haven't had it a week yet so I'm guessing the software is as up to date as it can be. I have an appointment at the local Kia dealership to see if they can sort it for me. I'll let you know the outcome.

Registered
Terry,

I am having the same problem with my HEV, in addition, to when you make a call the number is displayed on the screen during the call, instead of the name and this is the same when you receive a call. However, if you look at your favourites the name of your contacts clearly appear.

Let us know how you get on.

Sam.

Super Moderator
I have no knowledge of Apple products (far to expensive for my pockets), but is it possible the cars Bluetooth connection does not have the permissions to access contacts? On Android you access the Bluetooth link settings and it shows which permissions that link has, it is just a matter of enabling contacts permission. As I say, I have no knowledge of Apple product, so please don't shoot the messenger, its just an idea. :unsure:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Terry,

I am having the same problem with my HEV, in addition, to when you make a call the number is displayed on the screen during the call, instead of the name and this is the same when you receive a call. However, if you look at your favourites the name of your contacts clearly appear.

Let us know how you get on.

Sam.
Just setting off to my local KIA dealership to let them have a look at the problem and determine what needs to be done to sort the problem. Fingers crossed..........

Registered
I have no knowledge of Apple products (far to expensive for my pockets), but is it possible the cars Bluetooth connection does not have the permissions to access contacts? On Android you access the Bluetooth link settings and it shows which permissions that link has, it is just a matter of enabling contacts permission. As I say, I have no knowledge of Apple product, so please don't shoot the messenger, its just an idea. :unsure:
I was going to suggest the same thing.

View attachment 14691
You are both correct, there is a permission prompt on the iPhone when you link the phones, however, it's only for your favorites, which you need to allow to see recent calls etc... When you go into the Kia entry under Bluetooth, sync contacts is automatically enabled when we first join the phone to the car.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You are both correct, there is a permission prompt on the iPhone when you link the phones, however, it's only for your favorites, which you need to allow to see recent calls etc... When you go into the Kia entry under Bluetooth, sync contacts is automatically enabled when we first join the phone to the car.
The service Tech guy at my local dealership was at a loss as to why my contacts don't show on the Kia screen. He tried linking his android phone with exactly the same results. He is going to contact Kia and let me know what they say.

Super Moderator
CarPlay, the function of screen mirroring works. But I am unable to make a phone call or see my contacts when connected via USB for CarPlay by using the call button on the steering wheel.
Does it not have voice commands?
Thought Siri worked under carplay?

I just press button & say "Call (whoever) (y)
Mind you I use Android.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Does it not have voice commands?
Thought Siri worked under carplay?

I just press button & say "Call (whoever) (y)
Mind you I use Android.
My Local Kia dealership at Perrys in Worksop, Notts had my car for an hour today to upload new software which rectified the problem. Everything is as it should be now with all of my contacts downloaded and voice activation for phone calls working as they should. Thank you Michael (service Tech) for dealing with my issue so promptly.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts