Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I bought a second hand 2003 sedona last week, it's had a service and MOT done the week before, fsh. had no problems until I lost power on the M25 while the car started overheating (engine still running but noacceleration). The problem was that the thermostat had gone and there was no circulation.

So, I replaced the thermostat, but then the same day lost power again. It happened in 5th gear at about 70 mph. The acceleration kicked in a couple of seconds later, but the cooling needle was rising (although it went down, obviously the fan kicked in.) The AA man didn't think there was enough water circulating so we put more in. He read on his computer that iron filings in the fuel filter could cause this power failure, so we drained the filter but so no iron filings. I'm having a new fuel filter fitted regardless as I think it's the original.

I've read on another forum that a leak from the heating valve and pipes can also cause this but wondered if anyone had experienced a similar problem and could give me and my mechanic a starting point?

Cheers.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Almost certainly head gasket, get your mechanic to check top hose when it's warmed up, should be reasonably soft still, if it's rock hard the head gasket or head are toast I'm afraid.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hy,I had similar problem earler this year,I changed hoses and thermostat and still had same problem,took it to workshop for investigation only to find that several of the hose clips had broken and alowed water to escape after getting hot ,replaced all clips with genuine jubalie clips and the problem is solved and no troubel since.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts