Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
help please!!!!!!

I have a 2001 Y kia sportage 2.0 petrol that has developed an intermmitent problem of not firing up.

The RAC reckons it is probably the "crank sensor" that is possibly dirty or on its way out.

Can anyone tell me where to find said censor?

He ruled out the transponder in the key but he did not have his diagnostic kit with him

any help much appreciated

ta

ian

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,

I am having the exact same problem with my 56 plate Sportage!

I have had the car since last October and the problem has got gradually worse and worse to the point where this morning it took me 3/4 minutes to get the car to fire up!

It just turns over and over and will not fire up.

It is very intermittent and can go for a week without doing it and then it will start again.....

The garage round by me think it may be something to do with some little brass plates inside the ignition that wear down over time and dont make contact with the key properly?? But that seems unlikely to me as if these said plates wear down then they are worn therefore the car would not start at all ever? .........Well in theory.

I am going to book the car in to have these little brass parts replaced and see if it makes a difference....im not holding much hope though.

Luckily I took out warranty through Warranty Direct a few months ago and so I can claim back any costs for the problems.

Ill let you know if it fixes it

This is just one of a load of problems I am experiencing with the car, I am just about to search this forum to see if anyone knows why I can smell burning rubber coming from the back end of the car after a car journey and also why it bangs when going over bumps???

Edited by: helen-marie

·
Registered
197 Posts
helen-marie said:
Hello,

I am having the exact same problem with my 56 plate Sportage!

I have had the car since last October and the problem has got gradually worse and worse to the point where this morning it took me 3/4 minutes to get the car to fire up!

It just turns over and over and will not fire up.

It is very intermittent and can go for a week without doing it and then it will start again.....

The garage round by me think it may be something to do with some little brass plates inside the ignition that wear down over time and dont make contact with the key properly?? But that seems unlikely to me as if these said plates wear down then they are worn therefore the car would not start at all ever? .........Well in theory.

I am going to book the car in to have these little brass parts replaced and see if it makes a difference....im not holding much hope though.

Luckily I took out warranty through Warranty Direct a few months ago and so I can claim back any costs for the problems.

Ill let you know if it fixes it

This is just one of a load of problems I am experiencing with the car, I am just about to search this forum to see if anyone knows why I can smell burning rubber coming from the back end of the car after a car journey and also why it bangs when going over bumps???

I wonder if the burning rubber smell is anything to do with the catalyser in the exhaust system? On the diesel this 'regenerates' every now and again and it does smell as though something is overheating (which it is but deliberately). It shouldn't happen every trip though.

·
Registered
887 Posts
The little brass bits will have no effect on starting as long as the key turns, theres no real way of replacing the cylinder internals unless you replace complete barrell.
Non start is usually one of 2 things, an immobiliser fault, or fuel, in the case of a diesel, probably injector high leak back causing an air lock, hence it will start after a lot of turning over.

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi , i had this problem back in march , it turned out to be the transponder antenna located in the rear of the ignition barrel , local kia dealer charged £15 for part and £40 to fit it and now all is fine again , had loads of probs getting it going before this , and have been told its a common fault on kia range , hope this helps
rob

·
Registered
3 Posts
hello, thank you for your replies. I will take it to Kia and mention what you have said. Hopefully I can get it sorted because it is really frustrating

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi,

How are you getting on with this problem?

I'm still mid-struggle with it on my 56 plate Sportage 2.0 XS diesel...

The key indicator on the dashboard (a little picture of a car with a key symbol in it) is what to look for. When you turn on the ignition, but don't actually attempt to start it, this light should come on.

The light means the car has successfully identified the key and will start. If the light does not come on, the key hasn't been recognised and the car will not start no matter how long you sit there cranking the engine!

When you turn off the ignition and back on, the car tries again to read the key. That's why turning it back off and trying again works sometimes.

Look for the light - it's on the far-right of the instrument cluster where the temperature gauge is on mine.

If the car is having trouble reading the key, the starting will be directly linked to whether that light comes on.

On my car, which still has the problem, I look for the light before even attempting to crank the engine. At least when it does not come on I know not to try and just switch off and back on.

As for curing it, the inept dealer around here thought it was both keys and duly charged me to replace them. It's still happening but another (ex-Kia) mechanic has told me it's a fairly common problem on Kias and it's the antenna which detects the key - which he is replacing for me next week so I should know soon after if it's cured!

It's a very annoying problem and even more annoying that a dealership doesn't know about it!

·
Registered
9 Posts
since they shanged my anntenna , my sportage starts no problem i have had no other issues with the car either exept the egr valve was replaced other than that , perfect

·
Registered
3 Posts
I took mine into the Local Ford/Kia garage and they sorted it for me no problem, they knew straight away what it would be.

I had the transponder replaced and also there is a newer EGR part available that fixes the common problem of loss of power. The total thing cost me £650 for a service, the EGR and the transponder
but atleast its fixed it I suppose.

Mine has developed another slight annoying fault now, it judders sometimes as I set off. I think its something to do with the 4wd system, so it will be going in for that looking at shortly too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi,

I understand your concern seeing these posts, but relax!

Don't forget there are thousands of Sportages on the road and people don't post messages on forums saying "everything is OK!"

People only post when there are problems so it probably gives a distorted view. Look at the forumsfor VW, Audi, BMW, Toyota, Ford... in fact any manufacturer - you'll find people posting problem after problem, most of them scary and expensive!

So don't worry, I am overall delighted with my Sportage and despite a couple of faults that have occurred it's been a marvellous vehicle that has carried me and my family all over Europe twice, right down to the Czech Republic, through the snow covered mountains of Austria - towed caravans, boats andtrailersand saw me good through the thick snow in the UK last year and even got me through the thick mud at Glastonbury one year with it's 4WD LOCK system...

They're good cars, enjoy!

And I hope your motoring is trouble free
If you do get a problem, the forum is here to help and it is extremely helpful.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I bought a 06 plate Sportage diesel new and now have travelled 110000 miles.

Fortunately I have had most of these problems fixed during the warrenty, although the EGR valvee, which I'm told can cause the hesitation seems to be playing up again.

The non starting could be the search coil for the key, which I have had changed, but get the fault code downloaded from the ECU, I bought a canbus reader from ebay for about £20, which is £20 cheaper than the local dealer wants to read the codes, it tells me when mine wont start that there is a fault in the crankshaft position sensor circuitry.

I'm trying to locate this to check the wiring and plugs and this seems to be an issue.

The burning rubber smell is a common thing, it's caused when the DPF (emmisions filter) goes into a cleaning cycle and heats the whole exhaust up, including the rear box, and as the spare is located above the box, the spare tire as well. It's more noticable when the pollen filter is blocked not allowing enough fresh air into the cabin, and enough stale air out of the vents at the rear. If your boot floor is hot when this happens, then that is the cause, perfectly normal but un-nerving.

I love the car but have had several issues, some major which have been fixed under the extended warenty, which was the best £700 I have ever spent.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
97 Posts
I agree with DCM3372 I was on the Astra owners club as i had a Zafira B, the only time i went on there was to ask for help, which to be honest i never got take a look there are listings for every vauxhall,s ERROR codes, DMF probs EGR valve probs which i had loads of. within the first 3 monthe i had to have the DMF replaced and the Clutch costing £860 ish the VX dealer wanted £1300 second was the Alternator broke down with the family and the Caravan on the back £280. third was on this years holiday to the isle of wight used a ful tank of Diesel to drive 210mile got off the ferry and the EGR valve got stuck and the DPF 80% blocked £400 on the second day of our holiday with car hire for two days, to be fair the VX dealer on the island was probably the best in the UK.
So as dcm states dont worry, the Kia's have there faults,, BUT not anymore than the other makes, there was a lady on the IOW who's husband had a Volve X90 less than a year old and it had to have the EGR replaced ????????

I love my Sportage and what happens, happens.

have fun with the motor

Lance

·
Registered
97 Posts
Back onto subject goto http://www.kiatechinfo.com/register and you will find ALL the info you kneed. Its like the dealer softwear that they use for servicing and theres the Bulletin section this is were you will find your info.
found it last night whilst reading some posts hope it helps.

Lance

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Again,

Found the sensor, it's at the back of the engine block below the Turbo and EGR, totally inacessable.

I had to remove all the air pipes and fumble blindly to find, remove and replace it.

As for the kiatech site, it is good, but only lists North American models, so if you have a diesel version it's OK on everything except the engine stuff.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts