Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello can anyone help solve my problem, i have a 2003 diesel sedona, periodically it loses power when changing from 1st to 2nd gear. also a couple of times (whilst on motorway over taking) the engine management light came on and then went outa couple of seconds later and at the same time complete loss of power. call AA who plugged it into diagnostic butbecause light came on only briefly no fault was found.

Also any idea were l can get workshop manual from?

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi sara
i have a similar problem, no show on diagnostic test,

my mechanic is sending ECU for testing on the 16th sept..

in the meantime if you have a solution please let me know,

perrymac..

·
Registered
8 Posts
had that with a ford turned out to be engine computer and it will not show fault.got shot of car,check wiring around the injectors and connections as this causes said light to come on and lose of power will sound rough at idle its an injector not firing in order.good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi thanks for suggestion but no had AA out and he checked those and said all was fine with them

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello Sara

When you say "engine management light" are you talking about what is referred to in the owners manual as "malfunction indicator"?

If so, I've just had a very similar problem sorted out. The cause was described to me as being a slight leak somewhere in the fuel system, leading to air getting in. I can't remember where but will try to find out if it would be of use to anybody. I got the impression that it was not an uncommon problem.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi
Hope someone can help on this one I can see others have been having similar problems with their sedonas,my sedona was bought 2004 and has had no problems up to the past few months when it started intermitantly loosing power when changing to higher gear. tonight though was scary doing 80 on the motorway middle land and it starts looosing power and was lucky not much traffic and pulled over into layby. witthin a few seconds it gained power again but it got much worse on the way back home also notice the gage for the water temp was going way up i stopped to check and the water was fine. so it feels like it is something electrical but not a mechanic if anyone has any ideas would be grateful thanks Maria x

·
Registered
662 Posts
engine has a fail safe if its temperature rises the car will go into limp home mode check your waterlevel at the pressure cap WHEN COLD ONLY suspect you have a coolent leak and this is causeing your problem

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have this problem also with my 2003 53 plate sedona. It has had the problem for over a year now but has been so rare I have not bothered until now. It has started doing it much more often now and nearly caused an accident the other day so I must do something about it.

What is happening is that the warning light comes on for about 3 seconds max then goes out and all is fine again. While the light is on the engine goes to idle speed not limp home mode. You can do what you like while this is happening but nothing happens and it is like the accelerator pedal is disconnected.

I wondered in fact if there is a problem with the sensor on the pedal. Has anyone had to have this replaced before ?

Our local Kia garage is not good and I know that if I take it there I will pay out alot of money for nothing. My friend who bought the same car on my recommendation ended up having to sell it because they were unable to sort out an electrical/ engine management problem. i wouldn't mind paying the money for a diagnostic check if I felt more confident in the garage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
sara,,
mechanic sent ecu away and said they found a dry joint, so soldered it back car was fine for 2 days now back to as it was, frustrating to say the least.......

perrymac

1 - 10 of 10 Posts