Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok just joined the form and already asking questions. I've got a 2006 2.9crd, we had the problem within a couple of months of buying it
it turned out to be the starter solinod fault so changed that as they had quoted over 300 pounds to change the starter and fixed it for 15 pounds.
But now it will not start sometimes and is getting more frequent just turns over, fine when cold first thing in the morning.

Any answers, as the wife is getting sick of it!

·
Registered
390 Posts
HI, welcome. I had similar problem recently. Have ordered starter repair kit. Had battery checked.OK.
Noticed on these odd occassions that the fuel filter needed to be primed, 1 -2 pushes only. The car started ok. Found fuel leak in fuel return pipes from injectors. Cost to repair at dealers, parts, labour at £67ph was £58, with 12mth guarantee. I have not yet rec'd the starter repair kit(2 weeks now), therefore,original starter in,but when collected car from dealer started first time and that was after standing for 2 days. Had £900 of other work done on it and on way home turbo blew up. New turbo arrived today(7.15am) from 'Sedona Gary'. So could be slight fuel leak, check primer pump on top of fuel filter or an inline'bulb'.
Steve Gx Blackpool

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve, have phoned the main dealer who think's it might be imobilizer problem? it also was reluctant to start this morning so is random. Apparently there could be a problem because the imobilizer or engine light may not come on but the ECU will still store a fault code? so looks like l'll put it in their, but l will check the fuel lines at the weekend.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well it's completely stopped now and refuses to start, my wife would happly set the thing alight and toast marsh mellow off it! she absolutly hate's it and want's here toyota back!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Have you checked simple things like fuses?
I remember going out to a Renault Master in my old job as Roadside repair for Renault truck, the fuse had "CRACKED" but not blown. Very odd, simple fix, owner happy bunny after same symptoms as yours.

·
Registered
38 Posts
....and as if by magic the second i innocently query how to prime a fuel filter i am ALSO witnessing the intermittent start issue. A couple of times now she doesn't even turn over and no obvious sign of a click. One time i was at the local tesco, thought i would get some shopping before calling the wife to rescue me...when i came back it worked on the second attempt.

I have noticed that sometimes when i turn the key in the ignition there will be a 2,3,4,5,6 second delay before she fires!?!?!?!?.

So Stevegx and Bruno thanks for the priming of the fuel filter advice as that worked nicely on correcting this.

Can someone explain to me what the likely source of this will be.

I've bought the starter motor repair kit and when it arrives i'll do that anyway.

Stevegx, you mention a fuel leak above. Apart from that and the suspect starter motor is there anywhere else i be looking?

Regards
Cavey

·
Registered
422 Posts
cavey76 said:
....and as if by magic the second i innocently query how to prime a fuel filter i am ALSO witnessing the intermittent start issue. A couple of times now she doesn't even turn over and no obvious sign of a click. One time i was at the local tesco, thought i would get some shopping before calling the wife to rescue me...when i came back it worked on the second attempt.

I have noticed that sometimes when i turn the key in the ignition there will be a 2,3,4,5,6 second delay before she fires!?!?!?!?.

So Stevegx and Bruno thanks for the priming of the fuel filter advice as that worked nicely on correcting this.

I've bought the starter motor repair kit and when it arrives i'll do that anyway.

Stevegx, you mention a fuel leak above. Apart from that and the suspect starter motor is there anywhere else i be looking?

Regards
Cavey
Hi, Not sure what model year you have - but looking at your previous posts its the 2007 model! I have a 2006 cdrti - which I don't drive a lot - its the wifes - it won't start unless I press the clutch pedal to the floor - if I don't it does nothing - I usually do press the clutch on any car I drive to take a bit of weight of the starter motor but on the Kia its a must - are you sure you are pressing the clutch each time you start? I also believe it will not start if the sliding doors are open - bit basic I know but its caught me a couple of times.

·
Registered
38 Posts
......*shuffles feet and looks at the floor*.....err...yeah of err....course...i hadn't....err...thought of that one

thanks alcutler that seems to have "cured" my problem....i'm new to this big beast...that's my excuse and i am sticking to it!

As ever forum invaluable!

Cavey

·
Registered
422 Posts
cavey76 said:
......*shuffles feet and looks at the floor*.....err...yeah of err....course...i hadn't....err...thought of that one

thanks alcutler that seems to have "cured" my problem....i'm new to this big beast...that's my excuse and i am sticking to it!

Cavey
Glad your sorted - I know it sounded a bit basic but as I say it caught me a couple of times - before I sent my first reply I even dug out the handbook to confirm this - but I can't see anywhere that it says it is imperative that you press the clutch in before it will start or any mention of non starting with the sliding doors open. (Unless I've missed something - its pretty hard going to say the least) It does say when starting the car press the clutch pedal - but you would think they would explain the non start w/o doing this. Thinking about it there must be a switch on the clutch pedal that allows the car to start - so if that goes I would think this could create a non starting problem that will take some finding.

Edited by: alcutler

·
Registered
702 Posts
alcutler said:
cavey76 said:

Cavey
Glad your sorted - I know it sounded a bit basic but as I say it caught me a couple of times - before I sent my first reply I even dug out the handbook to confirm this - but I can't see anywhere that it says it is imperative that you press the clutch in before it will start or any mention of non starting with the sliding doors open. (Unless I've missed something - its pretty hard going to say the least) It does say when starting the car press the clutch pedal - but you would think they would explain the non start w/o doing this. Thinking about it there must be a switch on the clutch pedal that allows the car to start - so if that goes I would think this could create a non starting problem that will take some finding.
Alan

Not sure if it was on this forum or the other one but someone has just done a write up concerning the clutch switch on the Sedona

·
Registered
422 Posts
bruno1926 said:
alcutler said:
cavey76 said:

Cavey
Alan

Not sure if it was on this forum or the other one but someone has just done a write up concerning the clutch switch on the Sedona
Cheers Bruno, I would imagine its probably the same switch that deactivates Cruise Control when you press the clutch. I will look that up, Thanks. There seems to be a lot of non-starters at the moment. Do the pre 2006 models need the clutch to be pressed before they will start.

·
Registered
702 Posts
alcutler said:
bruno1926 said:
alcutler said:
cavey76 said:

Cavey
Alan

Cheers Bruno, I would imagine its probably the same switch that deactivates Cruise Control when you press the clutch. I will look that up, Thanks. There seems to be a lot of non-starters at the moment. Do the pre 2006 models need the clutch to be pressed before they will start.

Alan
I'm not I'm still trying to find the post I read. it was something to do with the car not starting unless the clutch was pressed and the switch being faulty, the user either by passed it or it was how to fix ix. I've read it somewhere in the last week but can't find it now.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hmmm. Looks like the USA idiot proofing has arrived over here now!Many years ago I was in San Francisco and asked to borrow my friends car to pop down the donut shop.

After 20 minutes of it just turning over I had to go tell him it wouldn't start. He came out, turned the key and brrmmm. Took us 10 minutes to realise that he was depressing the clutch! It was mandatory in California then as there had been cases of "intelligent" people buying a stick shift BMW etc, forgetting it was a manual, starting it in gear and crashing into other cars. There was a story (probably an urban legend) of a lady doing this in a multi storey car park and plunging over the edge to her death.

Don't fret about it - it's called learning by experience.

Oh, silly question, is there no mention in the manual of depressing the clutch?

·
Registered
422 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Quiltman said:
Oh, silly question, is there no mention in the manual of depressing the clutch?
I looked earlier in the Sedona handbook and can't see anything that specifically says you must depress the clutch pedal or else the engine won't turnover - but on the other hand it does say when starting press the clutch pedal........... As I said earlier I am in the habit of always depressing the clutch anyway before starting the engine on any car, and found out about it when I was working on the car and reached in through the drivers window to start the engine, the car was in neutral, but because the clutch was not depressed it would not turn over.

Edited by: alcutler

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
This type of set up stops you cranking the engine over when it is still engaged with gearbox as it could lurch forward. Just a safety device. Many motorcycles are fitted with clutch switches and have been for years, it will soon be standard on all new cars in future in my opinion..

·
Registered
390 Posts
cavey76 said:

Regards
Cavey
Hi. The fuel leak I found on mine was the small fuel retun pipes that conect to the fuel injectors. You can see these if you remove the 'top radiator' from the engine. There are four small pipes(5mm ish) with small clips. The last pipe is longer and goes down and round to return 'excess' fuel to the tank.
This was done at the Dealers...parts, labour and VAT came to £58 with their 12mth guaranteetoo. So was not worth me buying those parts and doing it myself, on this occassion.
Thanks Steve Gx Blackpool

1 - 20 of 35 Posts