Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there has been a lot of discussion worldwide on the interior quality, robustness and scratch resistance on the early Souls interior plastics. Apparently in Canada now - kia are starting to replace the badly scratched interior panels under warranty with the later ones. What do the UK owners think??...is there enough early Souls around to ask for this???

·
Registered
76 Posts
It would be great if they do, but I think it is highly unlikely that Kia would cover scratched plastic under the warranty.An alternative solution for 'upgrades' like this is to offer customers who want the upgrade a heavily discounted rate for parts & labour. Something like 50% which would equate to roughly cost price. No big loss to Kia and good customer satisfaction for their customers.

As I have one of the earliest Souls, I have the standard 'Asian' suspension, rather than the UK suspension tweaked by Lotus. Apparentlythe bump stops and dampers are different and maybe more. I'd love to upgrade, as the rear suspensionregularlybottoms out when you hot potholes, particularly if there are passengers in the back. It would be great if Kia could give me a cost effective way of upgrading to the new UK spec.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats interesting about the suspension........i have the "lotus tuned" one and the ride was beyond rock hard and the 18 inch wheels dont help either (it is improving slightly with miles and age)....but i have often wondered if the asian ones are sprung softer and ride better.

As far as the interior goes.......if Kia start replacing the panels in Canada....why should the UK owners be left out???

·
Registered
76 Posts
As far as I understand the UK suspension is better. The ride of mine is rock hard too and terrible if you hit a pothole. It's the only thing I really don't like about the car. I've even reduced the tyre pressure to the lower limit to help.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i just firmed my tyres up by 4 pounds to try and improve the economy and reduce the tyre slap on motorways....its like driving on a washboard now.....will reduce them back tomorrow!!!!.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Maybe it's because I am used to hard suspension on my two seater but I don't find the Tempest with 18" wheels to bad at all,it's more than exceptable as a trade off for good handling for such a tall car.Try throwing some of the other cars around of this type and the better handling of the Tempest will be apparant.I think I have decieded to have the mudflaps fitted even though they do not give 100% protection,any is better than none.I have gone over the bodywork now and cannot find any stone chips so either the paint on my Tempesthas been put on ok or some of the others with problems have a manufacturing defect with incorrect application of the paint. I will be getting an expert report on mine should it give problems on the paint and I will take them to law if they refuse to repair it to my satisfaction ,I have done it before with another manufacturer and won .All in all the Tempest is great value for money and I have had not one problem with this one .

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dave R said:
Maybe it's because I am used to hard suspension on my two seater but I don't find the Tempest with 18" wheels to bad at all,it's more than exceptable as a trade off for good handling for such a tall car.Try throwing some of the other cars around of this type and the better handling of the Tempest will be apparant.I think I have decieded to have the mudflaps fitted even though they do not give 100% protection,any is better than none.I have gone over the bodywork now and cannot find any stone chips so either the paint on my Tempesthas been put on ok or some of the others with problems have a manufacturing defect with incorrect application of the paint. I will be getting an expert report on mine should it give problems on the paint and I will take them to law if they refuse to repair it to my satisfaction ,I have done it before with another manufacturer and won .All in all the Tempest is great value for money and I have had not one problem with this one .
Im pleased you appear to have a good one......and i hope it stays that way for you......i take great pleasure in keeping my car clean and pristine and this car is hurting me!!!. I havent given up on the paint front....so thankyou for your advice.

As regards to the handling.....i have driven tall cars for years and whilst the Tempest does stay very flat on cornering and hangs on well...i find the constant fidgeting and bumping and weaving caused by the rock hard ride and the noisy tyres tramlining and droneing soon becomes hard work and tiring. On a super smooth road its lovely to drive........but not many of those around unless you drive out into rural wales.

To tell you the truth - my driving experience is probably being spoiled by constantly being aware of the chipping damage happening etc.....so am probably been too hard on the car......and looking back at my previous car with rose tinted specs.

Enjoy your Tempest.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Does the Tempest have Nexan tires? Mine need changing soon and I'll be glad to put something better on. I do find they can loose grip quicker than I expect/hope.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i believe all Soul come with the Nexen Tyre...the Tempest certainly does. I have recently opened a thread on the USA forum for exactly this issue......if you dont have access to it - i will let you know some other recommendations when the thread fills up. In the meantime the general owner opinion is that the Nexen tyre ranges from ok to terrible and is purely a cheap fit for Kia - nothing more. I find the nexens very noisy at motorway speed and am hoping to find a quieter replacement when the time comes.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I always read the tyre reviews. Some good ones are done by AutoExpress.

Some very good tyres are Marongoni Mythos, particularly for the price. I've used them (234/45 R17) on a previous Saab 9-5 and they wereexcellent. Also do well in the tyre tests. However, they aren't that easy to source in the UK. Mytyres.co.uk sell them.

On our current (other) Saab, I'm now trying some Kumho KU31 as these too did well in the tyre tests. I rarely use the Saab now (due to the fuel consumption) so don't really know how good they are. However, Mercedes fit Kumho to most of their models out of the factory now.

One problem is people often judge tyres by the brand, rather than the individual model. One Nexan tyre may be good, but one may not. A good gripping tyre will be soft and wear fast, so to have both there has to be somecompromise.

PS. Most of this forum is made up of use two chatting recently!

Edited by: d3matt

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Hi I have Kankook Optimo tyres on my Tempest as standard and allthey don't seem to bad with noise or grip.Kia don't seem to be very consistant with what they fit on the cars, I suppose it's what they can buy in bulk at the time.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
d3matt said:
I always read the tyre reviews. Some good ones are done by AutoExpress.

Some very good tyres are Marongoni Mythos, particularly for the price. I've used them (234/45 R17) on a previous Saab 9-5 and they wereexcellent. Also do well in the tyre tests. However, they aren't that easy to source in the UK. Mytyres.co.uk sell them.

On our current (other) Saab, I'm now trying some Kumho KU31 as these too did well in the tyre tests. I rarely use the Saab now (due to the fuel consumption) so don't really know how good they are. However, Mercedes fit Kumho to most of their models out of the factory now.

One problem is people often judge tyres by the brand, rather than the individual model. One Nexan tyre may be good, but one may not. A good gripping tyre will be soft and wear fast, so to have both there has to be somecompromise.

PS. Most of this forum is made up of use two chatting recently!
Its interesting how many Soul owners came form Saabs....i think your the 3rd i know!!!.....they used to describe Saabs as "thoughtful cars for thoughtful people"......maybe thats apt.

Kumho tyres is one of the good recommendations on the other forum. Autoexpress usually rave about Verdenstein tyres (i think thats the name)...as excellent allrounders.

The nexens usually get slated on the 18inch wheels and praised on the 15/16inch wheels.....whether that is down to the type of driver or the inferior ride on the 18 inch - i dont really know.

I think the choice might be limited on 18inch wheels due to lack of companies making that size....but it should be easier on the smaller wheeled variants......it does seem as tho the 18inch wheels carry lots of negatives as oppose the smaller ones........all in the name of looks!!!!

I agree about it usually just us chatting.....but these forums usually just get used by people voicing their moans.....so if there are only the two of us moaning - it shows that the Soul cant be that bad a car.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dave R said:
Hi I have Kankook Optimo tyres on my Tempest as standard and allthey don't seem to bad with noise or grip.Kia don't seem to be very consistant with what they fit on the cars, I suppose it's what they can buy in bulk at the time.
Thats interesting.....are Kankook korean too?.......let me know what the noise level is like on motorways at 70-80mph please.......because on some motorway surfaces my tyres really howl and its difficult to have a conversation.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hankook (not Kankook) are Korean, based in Seoul.They are the world's 7th largest tyre company and sell to 185 countries.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
sorry must get my eyes checked it's Hankook but I can say that the noise at motorway speeds is good and the grip is good as well.I believe that the price is mid range on these.On the other car I have Conti's 225/40 x 16" and they are much noiseir than the Hankooks.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Guys,

Thats another make to bear in mind come replacement time......its a pity this forum isnt a bit livelier....we could create valid recommendations if we had a wider source of opinions....lets hope it builds.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Problem with forums is that there are too many. I'm into (old) Land Rovers too and there are load of forums for these!At least with Kia, there aren't too many but there are now for the Soul. I just stick with this one and kia-forums.com as otherwise I'd never get anything done!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Nexen tyres not the best but I`ve driven on worse. What sort of mileage can I expect ,got 8k on mine and wear rate seems acceptable ?.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My Soul has done just over 20,000 miles and the front Nexan tyres need replacing. They are just on the wear indicators, but I measured the depth and my tool says 2mm. The rears are still very good.
I've swapped them around and expect now to change all four together in about 10,000 miles or more.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts