Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have you ever stumbled upon something and thought what a *&^%$£@ stupid idea, which muppet came up with that ?? I have been trying to resolve a poor radio reception issue (posted and solved in another thread). As part of that journey I had to remove the interior light to get to the aerial. At this point all was working fine. Upon reassembly I discovered that all the lights listed in the title of this post had stopped working ?? A Google search showed others having asked the same question but there were no solutions. So perusing the wiring diagram it was clear that all of those shared a common fuse. Sure enough the fuse (found under the bonnet) had gone. Replacing it saw it blow immediately, so I figured sure there is a dead short somewhere so I retraced my steps and disconnected everything I had reassembled. Now with the interior light dangling loose I replaced the fuse again and this time success.......that is until I put the light back on whereupon pop, lights out again. Having a good look at the light ALL the contacts on the top of it are exposed including the positive rail. The light mounts onto an EARTHED bracket again with ZERO insulation and so whilst offering up the light to screw it back in I was inadvertently touching the positive to the earth, Clearly when I reassembled the first time I had done less than a perfectly square fit and so again it was touching. I have now insulated the positive rail and all is good. My advise is that if you are going to fiddle in this area remove the fuse first. See pics below. Hopefully this will help someone in the future. PLEASE NOTE: The fuse should be a 10AMP and NOT a 4AMP as shown in the picture. The 4AMP was all I had at the time of testing, I have since replaced it.

·
Banned
5,229 Posts
Thanks for posting. Agree it is a really bad design - or should there be some kind of insulation which has gone missing?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for posting. Agree it is a really bad design - or should there be some kind of insulation which has gone missing?
Well it's a one owner car and this is the very first time I have ever needed to take that light off so if there should have been a cover then it was never fitted to mine at the factory. TBH I can't see anywhere on the housing where one would fit. I think it is really as simple as being just a plain stupid idea.

Reactions: phil866

·
Registered
417 Posts
I guess on the production line it doesn't get powered up until the end of the journey so bare connectors during assembly aren't really an issue.
<cynic mode>
Probably a thing dealers know about and a way to get DIYers in a panic and into the service bays
</cynic mode>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts