Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Does anyone know if any PHEV/ HEV now on the market is able to heat the interior of the vehicle without the engine running? I know you all have heated seats / steering wheels but that is not the answer.
I ask this because dealerships I have spoken to seem non plussed with the question
If PHEV/ HEV's cannot heat the interior without the engine running, using a EV type method, how can they the manufacturer claim any 'EV mileage range'?

Super Moderator
Niro 2020 HEV 4
No. Is the simple answer as far as Kia go.

Given the small size of the HEV battery it would not last long at all. I think some other manufactures PHEV's do have the option. But remember that this reduces the EV mileage & means a extra part/cost to the car.

EV range on a PHEV is based on how far it goes on just battery power. Not cheating the figures. If you check the WLTP test is based around 23C. Which as you can guess requires no car heating.

In the case of the HEV 2 to 3 miles MAX, is the best I have managed from a full battery, even that required some delicate right foot work to avoid ICE kicking in.. Which is why there is no quoted EV range on HEV's

Registered
No they can't and not everyone has heated seats or steering wheels!

Super Moderator
Niro 2020 HEV 4
No they can't and not everyone has heated seats or steering wheels!
Yea... The ceed PHEV I looked at did not have either. Dealer breaker...

Registered
When I ran my PHEV in the summer the engine never came on at all. In winter it is running (idling) even when driving in pure EV mode as the outside temperature needs the ice to heat up the cabin. When the cabin is up to temp then the ice turns off a lot of the time.

If this concerns you then buy a pure EV.

Registered
Driving a PHEV in winter means reduced pure electric range due to outside temp. You will get better range on a summer's day than this time of year. If you are also using the hybrid battery for heating this is even further reduced. With the heating on in winter, my Mercedes c350e has only half the electric range compared to summer. Therefore I tend to drive with heated seats on and heater off when in EV mode (which isn't particularly far and not long enough to get very cold!). Expecting to be doing much longer EV mode journeys in the Ceed SW PHEV even if the engine is needed for some heating.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts