Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,Just noticed on the Chrome surround of the Gear Selector is starting to tarnish. Nothing has been spilled on it, only wiped over with a dry microfibre cloth to remove dust etc. I know it's a small thing but would this be covered by warranty. Car was brand new in Sept.

Looks like its starting on the left side as well

Regards

Phil

·
Registered
475 Posts
Never seen anything like this, think you should be speaking to your dealer about this. If as you say nothing has been spilt on it then there is a fault with the finish.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
It will be covered, just pay your dealer a visit. It may take them a week or so to get the replacement part though.
Edited by: TerryB58

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yes. I know someone who got his wheel centre caps replaced under warranty for deterioration. Hopefully this won't become a common issue...

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys for the quick replies
, Visit to the dealer on Monday I think

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi All - Small update

Car now booked in to be seen on 14th Dec, thats the earliest I can get to the dealers to look at this, the stain has now spread to the top of the trim as well. I will let you know what happens as soon as I can.

Now spread to the top(circled)

regards

Phil

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally All Resolved - Had to wait for OK from Kia as this is the only case they have had on the Sportage Range - All Covered under the Warranty..

Before - Note how the stain spread

After

Well Happy, Only a small thing but still done under warranty

Cheers

Phil

·
Registered
196 Posts
Glad its all fixed now Phil, looks great. Thanks for the pics and sharing a potential problem.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update 09/03/17

Had the trim replaced under warranty, but I have been back to my dealer as the staining has come back again on the new trim, Car was with the dealer all day to inspect and photograph to send to kia again,

just been told that this will NOT be covered by Warranty as it's happened to quickly after the initial claim?

The trim has NOT been cleaned with any product - area only wiped with a dry cloth

I know that this is a small thing but I am not happy - especially happening twice

Think I will copy KCS into this as well

Regards

Phil

·
Registered
425 Posts
Please keep us advised on the outcome as I am about to take delivery of the same model. many thanks and good luck although it must be a manufacturing fault

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Joseph,

Will do, just put something up for KCS, I know it's only a small thing BUT something is causing it and I know it's not something I have used, because I have only ever wiped area with a dry cloth.

It doesn't mean I am not enjoying the car, still loving the car

Regards

Phil

·
Registered
149 Posts
Seems strange you have had 2 occurrences when nobody else has reported any issues so I can understand the response you received. Do you clean the car yourself? Could it be the vacuum hose running on the plastic. I had this on a previous car from a valet.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Stuart,No hoses or anything like that, I use a handheld hoover and it's mainly the carpets only that get hoovered. The deterioration seems to start under the top layer not on the surface which is smooth, the only thing I can think of is where 2 different metals touching can sometimes react against one another (Galvanic Corrosion), maybe something is missing underneath the trim and it's touching something. I don't Know.

All I know is that nothing has been spilled, no cleaning products have been used any where near it and its only ever been dusted over with a dry cloth.

It's just bugging me _ If all else fails I will remove it myself and clean it up and paint it black or something.

Phil

·
Registered
222 Posts
Are any of the heater vents pointing in the direction of this trim or being deflected towards the trim .
the only thing I can think of is heat that is causing this , or a windscreen cloth chemical ?
some of these windscreen cleaner chemicals are smelling like they have acetone in them .
a well known chemical used for cleaning and de-greasing glass .

if you are useing a damp cloth maybe the water damp has got at the trim , at the end of the day some of these trims you have to be really careful what you apply to them
I just use a Mr sheen type wax polish on mine , this will not only clean trim but apply a thin wax to seal them up from dampness or sunlight ultraviolet discoloration .
mine have not suffered from the corrosion that yours seem to be going through TWICE !

it seems that 99.9% of buyers of these cars fitted with the same trim have not come across this problem , so I'm afraid with it happening twice it may be down to something you are doing .
Don't be upset that I have suggested this , I think you really have to go back and think what could have caused it by any cleaning process

maybe Kia to replcae a third time FREE , but if it happens again to just YOU and no other kia owners then from the results it will be something you are doing .

Edited by: Kigoiuk

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is just frustrating - It's not a big deal but I would like to know what is causing it, I have not used any cleaning products or damp cloth only wiped as I said with a dry cloth, No one else has been in the car with any food or drink, no food or drink has been spilled and the staining is under the surface, still smooth on the top.

Think I will just see how it goes, and may be take it off and clean it and paint it black or something - it could be worse, it's only a minor thing......

Phil

1 - 17 of 17 Posts