Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Had my Venga a few weeks now and seem to have a problem with the stop and go. Some times it does not work i can drive more a mile or so and when i stopit does noe engage. Also does not work when stuck in traffic which i thought is the whole idea of it. Any one else had thi problem and how does yours stop and go. I have it booked in the dealer for them to check it out

·
Registered
887 Posts
It won't work unless a silly amount of pre-conditions are met, as long as the isg light isn't flashing then then it will work when all conditions are met.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a similar issue with my wifes car that we bought a few weeksago along with another problem.

She took the car to the dealers on Friday and they kindly informed her that the stop start doesn't work if the air con is turned on. At no point in advance of buying the car were we told this.

Its not really a problem this time of year but in the summer it's bloody pointless. One of the reasons I purchased the car was to made the most of the high mpg and I don't expect my wife to turn the air con off in the summer just so this will work.

I had a BMW 123D and the air con didn't effect the start start so why has Kia cocked up.

The other problem is that the ABS comes on when you sometimes start the engine. First time it happened I thought i had pulled away with the hand brake on.

The garage to be fair have booked in it for next Wednesday to look into this deeper as they couldn't find anything last Friday.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi There, I would agree with the post about the I.S.G. it does seem to have a mind of its own sometimes but mine DOES work with the aircon on but not on the Max setting. I am now just getting use to it after 6 months with the car if I remember all presets before it kicks in, And it does seem to save fuel- my consumption is between 58 and 62 m.p.g. Average. On along journey I can just about get up to 70 m.p.g. if I drive carefully.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,
I've got a Venga 3 1.4 with ISG. It works fine except when idling with the headlights on when it either will not work or will restart and, when the car has not been running for very long. Both these seem logical to me, you wouldn't want the engine to stop if the battery wasn't up to the job of restarting it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sorrymurphwiz but I disagree.The conditions under which ISG operates are listed in page 5.14 of the manual. To me they seem well thought out, not at all 'silly'. Without these 'intelligent' features the system would at best be a pain, at worst possibly even dangerous.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Just looked in my Ceed handbook and the conditions (expect them to be the same as the Venga) look to be pretty much the same as they are with my BMW 118D. It hasn't worked now since mid November but if it did in these weather conditions I would be worried. It didn't work in the cold weather earlier this year either but once the weather warmed up a bit it was back to normal.

Paul

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have only had my new Venga since Dec 1 and the ISG has worked a occassionally, but not when it has been really cold. The manual states it has to be +2C or more. Mine did operate at some lights, at night with main beam on, but re-started almost immediately with no intervention from me. Disconcerting at the time but it seems to be within the stated parameters. I was initiallyscepticalof ISG but my confidence in it has grown, especially after reading the extensive conditions that have to be met for it to kick in (or out).

·
Registered
34 Posts
My ISG kicked in twice today during daylight when the external temperature was -2C and -3C. So much for what the manual says!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi I have similar problems with ISG. Bought car three weeks ago, pre-registered. After 450miles ISG light was still on. Took car back to dealer who checked it and said all ok just keep driving. Eventually they had the car in and could not charge the battery. A new one is now fitted, but the ISG still has a mind of its own. Usually have to drive 8-10 miles before it will work, but then it doesn't always cut in even when hot. I travel 30 miles to work into Bristol. On the way honme it does not cut in until I get clear of the traffic some 8-10 miles outside the city centre, so not much use. Anyone within the city boundary hoping to save fuel have no chance. ABS lights have come on twice and ESP twice, MPG resets itself three times a week. Doors have to be slammed hard to shut and child locks appear to reset themselves.Not impressed to date doesn't do what it says on the can (brochure).

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi miniman,

I had the same trouble withmy pre-registered car. The sales folk had been using a booster to start it when the battery became flat, and it seems that they didn't follow the jump starting instructions in the handbook. result was a new battery and a new voltage sensor (although I suspect the sensor was OK) The ISG has been working ever since, and the off light has never come on.

On the occasions where it has not operated when I expected it to, I had not gone above the minimum speed since the last ISG, or had downshifted at a very low speed just before stopping. This last bit isn't in the book but it happens consistently, as if the ISG had armed in anticipation of coming to a standstill but had disarmed as I depressed the clutch on the downshiftat very low speed. This might be a load of tosh, but there might be something in it.

Mine has just been in to have the random reset of the mpg attended to (electronics upgrade or a new control module; I don't know which), but it did it again at the weekend!!!!

My passengers can't get a hold of the door closing force required yet. It has to be due to the airtightness of the car. I always leave my door to last to be closed, or open the drivers window an inch before the passengers get a chance to try and fail to close the doors. It always works, and the doors close nicely. Good thing or bad thing? (You might see Kias floating along in a tsunami near you soon!)

Back to the dealers soon for the EPS (turning itself off) fault and the boot floor to be done, all with the best will and helpfulness from the dealer.

I am a bit pragmatic about these faults. Over the 45 years I have been driving it has been pretty common to have teething problems with new models. (The man who drove the recovery truck became a close friend of my neighbour who had a new, top of the range Merc, which had so many software issues. He was locked in it, out of it, unable to start it, unable to stop it.... and he had paid over 70 grand) The Vengais not just a new model, it is a new line in a new factory. As long as there is a will in Kia to solve these issues, I am fairly relaxed about them. To a point. None of the folk I have spoken to at the dealership or at Kia customer service have looked at this forum to see what people are saying. Lets hope the few dealers who are involved on the site, will shout loud for fixes to be found.

Bob

·
Registered
8 Posts
ISG works after 8 miles so not much use on short runs. I have same problem closing doors, I just blamed the wife. MPG still rests three times a week, usually after a short run. Child locks appear to stay off if I swith them off with the red door switch unlock the car with fob and then press the unlock again. It works but does not say this in the booklet.Seems to be a combination of the central locking, button on the dash and locking when you move off which confuses things.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I stopped yesterday in the middle of the road for traffic lights,and let the clutch out as you do and isg engaged,all fine..the lights went to green,i put foot on clutch.......and nothing happened! Tried again,nothing, then resorted to turning ignition off and starting engine manually,phew it started,and i was off,abeit slowly due to the diesel flatspot problem,i get really fed up with the car sometimes,but sometimes i love everything about it,just annoying that kia hav nt kept their side of the bargain by selling a car where everything works,other manufacturers have been selling working cars for years.If Vw s were nt so drab and boring,id have one.James.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Now, now, James! You don't mean it really! We share many common niggles but I have to say that my ISG works impeccably since it was repaired. You seem to have more niggles than most though. Reconsider after they have fixed "the problem".
Bob

·
Registered
218 Posts
OK I just drove 30 odd miles with everything turned off even the radio and this bloody thing still wont work, its in for service tomorrow whill be having a few choice words with the service department.

Oops sorry mines a ceed not a venga

Edited by: Chappie

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
jamesskye said:
I stopped yesterday in the middle of the road for traffic lights,and let the clutch out as you do and isg engaged,all fine..the lights went to green,i put foot on clutch.......and nothing happened! Tried again,nothing, then resorted to turning ignition off and starting engine manually,phew it started,and i was off

I have noticed that if you start to move into gear while depressing the clutch the ISG will not restart the engine. The vehicle needs to be in neutral until the clutch is fully depressed, the engine will start, then you can engage the gear.

I only noticed it when I engaged 1st while ISG was active just as I started to press the clutch - no problem with crunching gears as the engine was not running

I had to shift back to neutral then depress the clutch again, all OK

·
Registered
29 Posts
Had this on my ceed, it works about 2% of the time is all. I vary rarely have the A/C on.It seems to be down to battery voltage, a fully charged 12 battery will have 14v in it, on the Kia the charge rate is around 12.4 volts so it will never reach full voltage.
I have done 700 mile in a 12 hour period and it is still not fully charged.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts