Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hadthe integrated side steps fitted and first impressions are there isn't really enough width to practically help you step in and out of the car if you are a normal fit and able person. However, if you need assistance they may be of some use but I have misgivings and they are very unlikely to assist anyone in the rear. Do they offer protection to the side of the vehicle? well its possible but I would have probably been better off with the side mouldings. The steps look the same metallic composition as the roof rail but whatI would add though is they actually do look terrific and a very good flush fitting to the car - pity its was an expensive way to find out!.
One interesting point when I took the FE in therewere twoSportage factory recalls highlighted one wasfor a software update and the other was mechanical - I didn't need the update on the FE inthe end but it was unclear what the other matter was relating to (under the car not the engine) I've got to go back again tomorrow so I'll post the details.

Picture below not the best it was going dark and the car is filthy also I've now two OEM front mudflaps going spare..

PS That Kia Rio is a shocker of a car it was my courtesy car today.

Edited by: Seasider

·
Registered
114 Posts
They look good, do they have any fixings under the car or are they just fastened at ether end ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car was up on a ramp and I believethe steps weresecured to existing bolt holes under the car there was no drilling required - they found it a tough job the car was with them all day and I picked it up at 5.45pm and it had only just come out of the service bay.

The chrome side protectors I mentioned will set youback £145 plus fitting.

Here is a better view of the whole side of the car with the integrated side steps.

Edited by: Seasider

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had the side steps fitted to my FE a couple of weeks ago. Must say they look good and set the car off!
Whilst at the dealers I was told of that I would need to return for an upgrade of the software.

The following week this upgrade was carried out. I enquiried what it was for and was told there were two upgrades, 1 for the power steering and 2 something to do with the battery managment.

I have to say that since the upgrade the steering does feel more positive, I did find it a bit wishy washy at higher speeds prior to this.

My dealer was really good, picking my car up from my place of work and returning it when the work was done.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Ilove the fact they mould well onto the existing bodywork. Any pictures of how they attach closer up?

Can I ask how much they were?

How strudy they feel?

Do they prevent chipping?

And most of all I assume that you can't fit mudguards as well as the steps? I've just bought mudguards you see.

I did see a site which was offering KIA coloured ones but I never bookmarked it. You could choose the steps to match your car colour.

·
Registered
662 Posts
your right you can't fit front mudflaps and steps

retail price ex fitting is £307.20

club special price is £267.13

carrage would be at cost you oryou can arrange your own

·
Registered
260 Posts
I guess its mudflaps for the time being and hope that maybe KIA will offer all drivers free skirts as a recall

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have posted this info on another post but as the title states factory recalls i thought it would be best here.

Have heard from Kia regarding the updates and they are as follows:-

'3 improvement actions' available for the FE

-ECU software upgrade ""“ dual mass fly wheel noise improvement
-Rear trailing arm bolt check
-ECU upgrade ""“ (Electronic Power Steering upgrade (EPS)

Hope thats worth while posting twice.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Like Seasider I had the sidesteps fitted before delivery and find them of little practical use, but the do enhance the look of the car.I have had my Sportage a month now do you think it will have the updates Seasider refers to ?.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm seriously tempted to get a set of side steps. After thoroughly cleaning the car this weekend then driving a couple of miles there is noticable mud splat in front of the rear wheels where the stone chip protection stickers are. I have doubts that these stickers will hold up to serious abuse and therefore the longevity of the paintwork in this area if I don't get something.

·
Registered
14 Posts
HGF69 said:
Ilove the fact they mould well onto the existing bodywork. Any pictures of how they attach closer up?

Can I ask how much they were?

How strudy they feel?

Do they prevent chipping?

And most of all I assume that you can't fit mudguards as well as the steps? I've just bought mudguards you see.

I did see a site which was offering KIA coloured ones but I never bookmarked it. You could choose the steps to match your car colour.

Hi<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

I too like these but have genuine concerns over there practicality verses the cost, as HGF69 has asked do they feel sturdy?

I've seen the bracket mounting and it appears to be a strip of steel which keeps ground clearance almost the same compared to aftermarket ones, but can you stand on these or will they break?

Do they really offer any protection from other people opening doors onto your car (car park cancer) like some people have suggested?

Any first hand experience with these and your opinions would be great, so thanks in advance for them.

·
Registered
65 Posts
FE stands for first edition, they were the first bunch of new sportages think they were all 4x4s but without sunroofs as for the side steps they are very solid items don't jeopardise ground clearance and are a great help when washing the roof.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Krammer some pics showing (the bestI can - the ground clearance with the side-steps).

·
Registered
65 Posts
hi there seasider notest you have the rear mudflaps fitted (i like the look of those). do you or anyone else know if you can buy just rears or do they come as a set. and any info on prices.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts