Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody make sense of them?
Last year, we insured with one company, thinking we'd be driving to and from Spain twice, so guesstimated the mileage to include 4,000 plus miles. Like everyone, we hardly went further than the local shops.
Renewal quote comes in, 20% HIGHER than expiring, yet we've hardly done any miles!!

Emailed to complain that in fact, we should receive a rebate based on the actual miles, not estimated.
Still to receive an answer

So, off to comparison websites, input all the details, both wife and I jointly pay for the car, so we change registered owner/keeper when we change car. Long story short, I completed it with her as owner/keeper and got a good price.
Quote only open for that day, talked it through and cover includes Europe; replacement car and still almost HALF the renewal quote from existing insurer.

Went to confirm on insurers website and price had shot up by 15% - so screen printed both the comparison website and insurers pages and sent them to both for an explanation.

By this time, it's a day later, so go to confirm price and it's a few quid higher, no real problem, so go and confirm on the insurers site. £25 loading as an "arrangement fee" with the comparison website!! Anyway, asked wife to go direct to insurers site to see what the quote would be. Surprise - on EXACTLY the same info, with her as policy holder as well as owner/keeper her quote was £100 MORE!

So, I've renewed at 60% of expiring premium for same coverages (or actually better) with £150 compulsory and Nil voluntary excess, AND apparently a £20 gift voucher (OK, they get £25 for arranging) and I still want to know why the price changed between websites...

Now, I used to be a Lloyds of London broker (OK, not motor) but at least I could calculate what likely premiums my underwriters would be wanting, but motor insurance premiums seem to be cast by wizards using runes....

So, do shop around, and we've also found that "renewing" with the same insurer but in the others name, same details etc gives different prices for the same car and drivers!!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I've had similar experiences with my insurance. A few years ago the renewal arrived on it had gone up from the previous year. Time to change I thought. Went to comparison site, entered all our details and the cheapest deal was the company we were with, £80 less than the renewal. Went direct to the companies web site, entered all the details again and it was cheaper than the renewal quote by £95. I saved the quote on the insurers web site and rang them to ask the why the difference and was told the renewal quote was with the underwriters my existing policy was with, the new quote was from a different underwriter.
Same insurance company, same policy, three different quotes. I never ever accept the renewal quote and I'm still with the same insurance company. Oh and I saved the £95.

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
Some insurers hike the renewal price regardless of circumstances. I never select "auto renew" and this helps to keep them honest. According to Martin Lewis you will also get lower prices if you start looking for new policies 30 days before the current one expires - they know you have time to shop around so you get a better price. Later you leave it the higher the quotes are.

Sometimes I have phoned my expiring company armed with the best quotes from other companies. I tell them that I do not wish to renew. They invariably ask why and I tell them that I have had better quotes with other companies - they usually ask how much have you been quoted. Sometuimes I tell them and other times I refuse and invariably the re do the sums and come up with a better price, but not always better than the best quote. If the other quotes are much better than teh renewal price I just don't bother - they are not loyal to me so why would I be loyal to them. LV seem to be better than most at keeping prices lower but your experience may differ as all insurance companies have different ways of calculating risk.

Same applies to house insurance.

·
Registered
321 Posts
i am with axa insurance, got my renewal through went up £10 from last year.:)

·
Registered
86 Posts
The short answer is no, you can’t make sense of them. Never expect a renewal quote to be good, never leave it until your old policy has almost expired to get quotes, and always hunt around the comparison sites and those few insurers who don’t appear on them.

You can save a few quid more by playing around with the small details in the quotes. Tweak your job title, add or remove your wife/mum/sister to the policy, change your annual mileage, and keep track of the resulting quotes. It’s surprising what difference these things make. Telling them you only do 3000 miles a year will probably end up cost more than saying 10,000. I lopped over £100 off a quote from an Alfa 159 I had by adding my wife to the policy as a named driver. She never once sat behind the wheel, but having her able to do so saved me money. Calling myself Systems Analyst rather than Computer Operator changes the prices - both are equally accurate titles though.

·
Registered
2020 Sportage 1.6 CRDi '4' DCT Mild Hybrid
105 Posts
Trying to make sense of motor insurance does definitely put most into a conundrum that can leave you feeling very perplexed.
#mr.mike is correct, juggle with the detail but keep it truthful because it could/can be crossed matched. I don't know about now but around the mid 2000's RBS owned well in excess of 20 motor insurance companies, which were mostly all the popular big internet and media advertised ones. I know they were trying to unload some but i still believe it to be one massive cartel.

·
Registered
514 Posts
What gets me is the way the insurers play by different rules to the customer vs their systems.
I had an accident in 2019, guy drove into me so my insurers assured me they would treat as non-fault. I got my car fixed but needed to pay excess. Okay, so then they say its not final so I will wait for an excess refund. At renewal time I go through the usual, selecting non fault for the 2019 incident and complete payment. 2 days later I get a letter of premium increase, from the new insurers, as the insurance database shows the 2019 incident as a fault claim on my behalf. Great! A few discussions later, they either cancel or I pay the extra. I paid up.

Having thought this was all behind me, a few days before Xmas I get a court summons, addressed to me personally, suing me for the other guys insurer's losses. Wtf? My insurers have provided solicitors to deal with it but I don't know why he came after me personally and not my insurers?? Anyway, he's just had notification of a counter suit where I'm claiming three times what he has. Court within 9mths I'm told so we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Have always shopped around each year and you will find the same companies will give differing prices day to day. But 3 years ago finished up with mine and wife's policy's both with Tesco and both of them have actually gone down each year so not bothered to look further since.

Reactions: kia62

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Some years ago my wife started making site visits for her work, as a consequence was changed our insurance cover to Business, Social and Domestic. We fully expected the premium to go up, but no it went down by a fair bit. It makes no sense, the car was getting used more and was at more risk, but apparently not!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Car Insurance - what a racket :ROFLMAO:
We all have to go through the same nausea every year,one cannot have any loyalty to any particular company as the majority of them seem to play the same old game of punishing long time customers.
I think the longest I have stayed with one insurer was 4 years and then of course all of a sudden the premium inexplicably shoots up - so back on the internet again :confused:

Reactions: mr.macspot

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't know about now but around the mid 2000's RBS owned well in excess of 20 motor insurance companies, which were mostly all the popular big internet and media advertised ones. I know they were trying to unload some but i still believe it to be one massive cartel.
Yes, definitely keep it truthful. But they don't have 'senior systems administrator' in the list of jobs, so you have to pick something close, which gives you options. You can't just pick any old thing though.

I'm not sure you can really describe it as a cartel, in fact most motor insurance firms don't really make any money at all because competition on price is so severe. The reason service is rubbish is because they don't make profits, and they don't make profits because accidents are so expensive to put right, with repair charges, stupid compensation claims, and accident management companies charging the earth. Most of these claims management companies are actually owned by motor insurance companies. This is why they charge ridiculous fees for hiring out a heap of junk Corsa for three weeks whilst dragging out the repair times forever - it's so they can carry on charging the at-fault driver's insurers £300 a day whilst doing so. Worse, the contracts you sign for these companies then put that charge on you if the other guy's insurer successfully challenges the claim or cost.

Finally - be careful what you wish for. Everyone thinks they are a great driver and it's always going to be the other guy's fault, but reality is very different. Everyone screws up sometimes, and the whole point of insurance is that you pool the risk around between lots of people, most of which rarely if ever claim. If the algorithms get too accurate, a large proportion of road users will become uninsurable - which at some point, will include all of us.

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
What gets me is the way the insurers play by different rules to the customer vs their systems.
I had an accident in 2019, guy drove into me so my insurers assured me they would treat as non-fault. I got my car fixed but needed to pay excess. Okay, so then they say its not final so I will wait for an excess refund. At renewal time I go through the usual, selecting non fault for the 2019 incident and complete payment. 2 days later I get a letter of premium increase, from the new insurers, as the insurance database shows the 2019 incident as a fault claim on my behalf. Great! A few discussions later, they either cancel or I pay the extra. I paid up.

Having thought this was all behind me, a few days before Xmas I get a court summons, addressed to me personally, suing me for the other guys insurer's losses. Wtf? My insurers have provided solicitors to deal with it but I don't know why he came after me personally and not my insurers?? Anyway, he's just had notification of a counter suit where I'm claiming three times what he has. Court within 9mths I'm told so we'll see what happens.
Because it is you who has the alleged liability. and not the insurers - they were not driving the car. Just pass it on to your insurers,

·
Registered
514 Posts
Because it is you who has the alleged liability. and not the insurers - they were not driving the car. Just pass it on to your insurers,
I get that but I've never been personally involved in the after effects of an accident, it has always been handled by the insurers. Same goes for my wife. The only personal part was for injury claims.
The other thing is its the driver suing me, not his insurers, so again why is it not being sorted company to company instead of person to person?
Ultimately I don't have to worry, as above, its already being handled by the solicitors assigned by my insurers. No one I've spoken to about it has ever heard of it dropping from insurers to being a personal case between two individuals, always argued out by the insurers.

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
Yes, definitely keep it truthful. But they don't have 'senior systems administrator' in the list of jobs, so you have to pick something close, which gives you options. You can't just pick any old thing though.
Agree

I'm not sure you can really describe it as a cartel, in fact most motor insurance firms don't really make any money at all because competition on price is so severe. The reason service is rubbish is because they don't make profits, and they don't make profits because accidents are so expensive to put right, with repair charges, stupid compensation claims, and accident management companies charging the earth.
Of course they make profits - there would be no point ine being in the business otherwise.

Most of these claims management companies are actually owned by motor insurance companies. This is why they charge ridiculous fees for hiring out a heap of junk Corsa for three weeks whilst dragging out the repair times forever - it's so they can carry on charging the at-fault driver's insurers £300 a day whilst doing so. Worse, the contracts you sign for these companies then put that charge on you if the other guy's insurer successfully challenges the claim or cost.
[/QUOTE]

Run a mile from the accident claims management companies. They are makng a fortune out of ripping off "the other guy" - which as you say can end up being you through no fault of your own or for anything you have any control over.

I was rear ended (gently) by an enterprise contract hire car. My insurer accepted it as not my fault and then tried to throw me to the wolves by referring me to (I presume) a related claims management company. Their website made it very difficult indeed to read and understand the terms (teeny tiny font, much repetition of similar but subtly different conditions, a 20 minute time out when it is surely impossible to read it all and understand it all - hoping peeps will skim through it and agree)..When I finally thought I understood it (took three return visits to teh site) I was pretty unhappy about the outrageous hire car cost being ultimately my responsibility and the transparent attempt to conceal the true nature of the deal from me. Knowing that Enterprise were in the rentals business I called them and they were delighted to provide a spanking new Mercedes 350GLE for free (I guess that was a lot cheaper to them than the sharky claims management co. Needless to say I will never do business with my former insurance company again and Enterprise have gone way up in my estimation.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Well , my 2010 Piccanto 1 insurance has recently come it at £10 less than the previous year. So I will stck with it as it is £165 for self and wife , comprehensive inc legal; and 6000 miles. But we did not do 6000 miles last year of course. Full NCB thankfully, Both over 70 BTW.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just had my renewal come back from Chris Knott who we've used happily for years. I always shop around but rarely beat the price they give. This years renewal came back 12% higher and I wasn't happy. Went online and got a quote from Tesco for £140 less (it's lower than my premium last year and the year before). Sent that to Chris Knott who promptly matched it. Don't understand why people wouldn't shop around every year. To be honest it's the first time I've beaten their price in years. What annoys me is the insurance companies take the P... and could just send you the cheaper quote, but they try and scam you if they can. I like insurance companies as much as I do politicians.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Agree

Of course they make profits - there would be no point ine being in the business otherwise.
Run a mile from the accident claims management companies. They are makng a fortune out of ripping off "the other guy" - which as you say can end up being you through no fault of your own or for anything you have any control over.

I was rear ended (gently) by an enterprise contract hire car. My insurer accepted it as not my fault and then tried to throw me to the wolves by referring me to (I presume) a related claims management company. Their website made it very difficult indeed to read and understand the terms (teeny tiny font, much repetition of similar but subtly different conditions, a 20 minute time out when it is surely impossible to read it all and understand it all - hoping peeps will skim through it and agree)..When I finally thought I understood it (took three return visits to teh site) I was pretty unhappy about the outrageous hire car cost being ultimately my responsibility and the transparent attempt to conceal the true nature of the deal from me. Knowing that Enterprise were in the rentals business I called them and they were delighted to provide a spanking new Mercedes 350GLE for free (I guess that was a lot cheaper to them than the sharky claims management co. Needless to say I will never do business with my former insurance company again and Enterprise have gone way up in my estimation.
[/QUOTE]
I quite like enterprise, one of the more honest renta companies.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I quite like enterprise, one of the more honest renta companies.
Agreed - used them numerous times when I used to travel a lot within the UK on business (flying up and down from London to Edinburgh or Dundee every week), and they were always very straightforward and hassle-free to deal with.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You'd be surprised. Insurance companies make their money by taking the premiums and investing that money elsewhere - it doesn't just pile up in a bank account waiting for claim. So they have two sources of income, premiums and investments, and if the investments do well then they can be more competitive by reducing premiums for customers.

With more motor insurers operating in the UK than France, Germany, and Italy combined, the competition for premium income is ferocious. If the investments have a bad year (have you seen how the markets behaved these last 12 months?!!) then they can't pay out all the claims without raising premiums - so they will rise. Which is, on average, exactly what's been happening.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts