Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

When I first had my Pro_ceed I paid 500 pound for my insurance but its been going up constantly ever since and I just cant understand why? I have had no claims, no change in mileage.....basically no changes at all.

Has anyone else had this problem or can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi NickH, I had the same with my renewal, done a check on the compare sites and found a better company with better cover and approx £ 100 cheaper.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I found swift cover the cheapest on my Rio

£220 fully comp suits me quite nicely (and the wife's a named driver as well).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have tried every company known to man! Its really annoying....i just dont understand it!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey NickH - another South Wales member...yay

I work for a motor insurance company and to be honest with you there could be thousands of reasons why your premium is increasing. The main one will be simply because there are more pro cee'd's on the roads now so insurance companies are getting better (or worse!!) 'claim statistics' and adjusting your premium accordingly at each renewal.

The only advice I can give is to shop around...99.9% insurance companies give better rates for 'new business' than they do for a renewal...unfair but true. Don't be scared to tell your insurance company you've got a better quote elsewhere, most will try their best to match the cheaper quote you've got.

Good luck!

Ceri x

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was quite surprised with my renewal too. Previously I had been driving a big thirsty Mercedes, and the fully comp insurance with protected no claims was £225. Changed to the Kia and the renewal came in at nearly £300.

I phoned and spoke to my brokers who are excellent and I have got insurance for £210 with protected no claims and legal cover. I am quite happy to pay a little bit more than I could using a comparison site as the service I receive form my brokers is very good.

The model I insured was a 1.4 strike pro-c'eed.

I was hoping the Kia would be a lot cheaper than the Merc, but I guess when your only paying a couple of hundred there isn't that much more room for manoeuvre.

Ian

·
Registered
218 Posts
Just got my renewal quote for sport 2.0ltr £335 fully comp £200 excess and only 4 years NCD , enhanced c/car & legal cover from the CO-OP ins, thought it was ok because i had a claim last july for £3500 after hitting a deer (a dear deer) did do the go compare thing got a better quote on line but for a much higher excess. Castle cover £613 & RIAS £700+ a few others around the £350+ but not the same level of cover! was told by most companies that its an overall increase in premiums for most insurers and nothing to do with the car. OH and of course hitting the deer that jumped in front of my car (my fault).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have you tried Swift cover - every thing doneon-line?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Swift came in at £300+ along with Hastings , hastings on internet quoted £287 but not a high level of cover + high excess, think the CO-OP was best for me due to claim last year, next year i will go through the motions again .regards
geoff

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was quite surprised when I swapped my cover from my Corsa VXR (group 16) to the pro_ceed and they wanted an extra £80 a year. Same company so go figure, perhaps Kia's are expensive to repair?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is ridiculous......its gone up again this year, this cant be right! I have shopped around every insurer, have had no accidents or claims, got 7 years no claims and it just keeps going up! Ive included my best quotes over the last few years so you can see. If anyone has had the same problem or has got any suggestions please let me know as this is getting way too expensive now!!!!

23rd may 08 - £468

05th reb 09 - £531

25th may 09 - £567

15th mar 10 - £627

5th jun 10 - £701

23rd jan 11 - £823

Thanks

Nick

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
One thing you can do is play with youroccupation designation. This can make a surprising difference to your premium. There is a website you can go to check how this works, I think it's at money saving expert.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The pit falls of cheap insurance!!!!! got my car insured with the co-op last year seemed ok that is until you need to claim!! got hit in rear on the !6th Nov 2010 at 7.30 am by a lady driver who had been on a night shift and did not see me waiting at the traffic lights? drove my car home and contacted the co-op ins claims team @8.30 only to be told someone will contact me within 24hrs???? not a good start!by 1.30 pm i phoned them because i needed a courtesy car , only to be told 24hrs again, 2.30 i was contacted by a company called elite incident management representing the over parties ins company(FORTIS),they offered to put me in a courtesy car immediately and carry out the repairs!! so as no joy from my ins co this seemed the logical option, Terrible mistake!!!!! their aim is to repair the car as cheaply as possible!!!!! when i got my car back from MOTORWORLD CAR BODY SHOP Portsmouth it had dozens of paint defects and a crease in the rear quarter that no nobody had noticed???? got quote from a local body shop to put it right £800+ contacted elite and unfortunately by law you have to give them one chance to put things right , well they tried bless them!! but the bumper was appalling so i contacted elite yet again to arrange an inspection by the ins co (FORTIS) so as i carried with the normal daily grind over the xmas break WAIT FOR IT another lady driver drove into the back of my car at a roundabout!!! 28TH DEC 2010 only had my car back 13 days, bumper damage yet again!!!!! girls im not implying anything!!!! it must be me im a babe magnet!!!!! so that got elite off the hook!Let the co-op INS sort this one out, well its what ive paid them for, still a very slow process with them and they also hand it over to a management company thats really a hire car company?? new bumper now fitted and all seems ok? NOW FOR THE STING IN THE TAIL, my ins premiums will rocket???? got a fictitious quote from Lloyds £820 fully comp paid co-op £335 last year? looks like the 2 bumps even tho non fault do effect ins premiums???????regards and keep an eye on that rear veiw mirror
geoff
PS no i dont bang the brakes on, i was stationary on both occasions.

·
Registered
61 Posts
These quotes seem very high. Maybe there's an advantage to being on the arctic coast. I paid around £250 compfor a 2L CRDi Magentis from LV.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Insurance painfull ! IMO try bell there usually pritty good will insure anything and quite reasonable price or whack your excess up to £750 that does trick for me :) being a young boi it makes cost go down a lot ! Ps I know why pro ceed is dear to insure because they look like a Audi

Hope you find cheaper soon

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bit of insight for you guys, not that it helps a lot.
There are lots of factors taken into consideration, sex, postcode, use, where parked, age, annual mileage, occupation, claims history, convictions etc. Of these the major ones are postcode, age and occupation. If you are sub 25 then sex will make a huge difference. This changes the older you get so that when you get to late 30s/early 40s both sexes are roughly the same.

Unfortunately, you are only going to see premiums keep going up. Insurers haven't made any money on motor insurance for the past 10 or 11 years. Primarily this is due to the stock market (which is how they used to make money from car insurance premiums) but also the increase in personal injury claims. Solicitors are raking it in from grossing up personal inujury claims and it only ends up affecting the premiums we all pay in the long run. Every minor bump results in a couple of grand for whiplash etc. Cars are cheap to repair, it's the injuries that cost all the money plus the astronomical charges the hire companies make by operating through the claims management companies.

European legislation means that recently it was deemeddescriminatory that young men should pay more than young women (despiteyoung menbeing more likely to have an accident, and causing more damage and injuries when they do) meaning that from 2012, the girls will be paying the same as the guys. It's unlikely that the boys premiums will decrease. This may also apply to age descrimination but we'll have to wait and see.

There are all sorts of ideas being bounded around in an effort to reduce claims and therefore premiums. Unfortunately, the premiums of the many pay for the claims of the few which is frustrating when you have a clean driving record.

Anyway, that's my 2 pennies worth.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Forgot to mention, obviously the type of vehicle you are driving is the biggest factor of all. Age of car also makes a difference but value of vehiclemakes practically no difference at all. There you go.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts