Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have just last night noticed that the instrumentation lights were flickering a little on my 1.6crdi when I had the sidelights on. The illumination for the audio display was also flickering, although this stabilised when the sidelights were turned back off.
Any suggestions? I'm thinking maybe a slightly loose fuse, as I've heard of issues with loose fuses before.

·
Registered
226 Posts
My guess is that if the fuse was loose the sidelights may also flicker. Its not easy for car fuses to get loose but its worth a check.
Another possibility is the dashboard brightness control. Try moving that back & forth and see what happens, it may be dirty.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The rheostat for the dashboard lights WOULD have been my first suspect, but as there isn't one on mine...
Have checked the fuses, at least the ones on the side of the dashboard as the 'cluster' fuse seemed to be the most likely one. None seem to be particularly loose, but have not had another chance to check lights as yet. A wee bitty hard in broad daylight, and Sat. nite is beer/wine nite

·
Registered
226 Posts
I suppose it possible, though rare, that a fuse can fracture, leaving it to make contact sometimes and not others. Usually temperature affects problems like this.
Keep an eye on it, my guess is that the problem will return.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Latest update. Last Monday night, the whole thing 'died'. No start, not even turn over. All the dashboard displays threw a wobbler when I turned the key. Called out the AA. Top bloke, diagnosed an earth fault between the engine and bodywork (as primary earth from the battery goes to body only, bit of a design flaw I'd suggest). Fitted temporary earth direct between engine and battery, problem solved. Fault rectified 'permanently' by dealer on Friday whilst car was in getting a new air-con condenser fitted.(New earth cable fitted I presume)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts