Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Just after abit of advice. So had a few issues with my Sorento over the last 9 months and just got it back from the dealer.

One thing that looks different but it may be just me being paranoid is the instant Fuel Economy Gauge. When on tickover it drops to 0, I was sure prior that this used to go up to 50 or am I been nuts

Also on tickover the average mpg just above this Gauge drops rapidly, a minute of idling reduces it dramatically

Have I lost my marbles
Si

·
Registered
139 Posts
Instant mpg does normally drop to zero when stationary. How quickly the average mpg drops will be determined by how many miles it's averaging over. If it has only just been reset, it will obviously respond more quickly than if it's calculating the average over the last 500 miles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Trevor, that explains it then, the cars been having fueling issues so I'm now paranoid watching the stats constantly!

Thanks again for your help
Did you sort the MPG?
I have just bought a 2017 KX4 auto and the mpg is shocking! I have had it back to see why and they say it’s normal for a vehicle that age to only get 27mpg! I’ll get that mpg if I drive it in semi auto. The car seems reluctant to change gears in auto and when I switch it over to manual it tells me to change up!??

·
Registered
593 Posts
What type of journey are you doing? I get 28-ish with lots of cold starts and around town.

On an open A road, about 34mpg On a motorway a bit more unless I'm pushing it.

My wife gets 1-2 mpg less.

One thought - is the fuel computer set to US gallons?

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,438 Posts
As tigger say's, check it's set to imperial units not US units.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did chami yes, so it appears either the previous owner or the garbage dealer Kia Stockport put poor quality fuel in mine and there was debris in the tank.

Kia Stockport actually found this back in November when investigating and were instructed by Kia tech to flush the system and change the filters, but they declined for some reason.

Anyway I paid for it be flushed myself and never had any issues since, mpg has gone up to late 30s when pottering around

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did chami yes, so it appears either the previous owner or the garbage dealer Kia Stockport put poor quality fuel in mine and there was debris in the tank.

Kia Stockport actually found this back in November when investigating and were instructed by Kia tech to flush the system and change the filters, but they declined for some reason.

Anyway I paid for it be flushed myself and never had any issues since, mpg has gone up to late 30s when pottering around
Late 30’s!!! That’s great. The stats say 38mpg and I didn’t expect that but did expect somewhere in the 30’s. I get 25 mpg but they are short runs on a cold engine. I had a VW Tiguan that did 40mpg so I’m gutted about the fuel economy on this!
How much was it to flush the fuel tank and how did you find out about the debris?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did a 5 mile trip to the shop today and got 43mpg, but I'd say normally it's around 37mpg. Mine is manual though

I found out as I had issues literally from the day of picking the car up from Lookers Stockport, March 2020. The car would go into limp mode or just had really bad mpg around 21, unfortunately covid kicked in the day after pick up and the dealer played the covid card perfectly so they didn't have to actually do anything.

When we finally got the car into the dealer
in November 2020 after god knows how much chasing them, they did checks at the request of Kia technical, found the debris and was told to clean it, but just gave me the car back complete with a half can of coke in the center console and an empty tin of pringles on the back seat (height of covid). I found the latter out after contacting Kia direct as lookers still say they've never found any fault

I then took it into a local Kia dealer based in Sheffield and they did the flush along with a service which was around 460 quid, the car is completely different after they sorted it, more powerful and less stuttery

·
Super Moderator
10,561 Posts
Late 30’s!!! That’s great. The stats say 38mpg and I didn’t expect that but did expect somewhere in the 30’s. I get 25 mpg but they are short runs on a cold engine. I had a VW Tiguan that did 40mpg so I’m gutted about the fuel economy on this!
How much was it to flush the fuel tank and how did you find out about the debris?
25 M PG over what just a single trip, a tankful of fuel or the total average?

Kia's a well known for taking a while to warm up. I have seen 5 miles on a cold (that's above 0) day.
Stonic only did high 20 mpg on short (sub 10 mile local supermarket trips) Once saw 70 MPG after 11 miles. Yet averaged 40 mpg over 18K miles.

So never read much into single trip MPG.

·
Registered
6 Posts
25 M PG over what just a single trip, a tankful of fuel or the total average?

Kia's a well known for taking a while to warm up. I have seen 5 miles on a cold (that's above 0) day.
Stonic only did high 20 mpg on short (sub 10 mile local supermarket trips) Once saw 70 MPG after 11 miles. Yet averaged 40 mpg over 18K miles.
So never read much into single trip MPG.

It’s 25.9mpg avarage at the moment.
I used to get 26mpg towing my caravan with my vehicle Tiguan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.