Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I have recently purchased a standard second hand Kia Venga headunit (see photo attached) from ebay and with some help I was able to security unlock it. Now I can enjoy the endless possibilities of bluetooth in my car. The problem I have is that since my previous headunit had no bluetooth, there's also no microphone installed in the car which makes phonecalls using bluetooth not possible. I can purchase a second hand original microphone from ebay but I'm unsure if I would be able to connect it. The pinout diagram of the headunit states (see photo attached) that the connector C1 is used for microphone so I thought I'll just search for the neccessary wiring and connect the microphone straight to the C1 section of the harness. The problem is that there's already two wires connected to C1 section of the harness (where microphone should be connected) but as I mentioned before, my car doesn't have a factory fitted microphone. Has anyone have any idea what might be connected there and maybe there's a possibility that if I traced the two wires to their other end I would find find some sort of factory fitted connection for potential microphone installation? Or maybe it's possible to connect the microphone straight to one of the missing slots on the C1 connector? I have also attached some photos of the actual harness connector where you can clearly see the wires and the back of the headunit where the connector goes in.
Thank you very much for your opinions.

Kind regards,
Tadas

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Are you sure the mic is not factory installed, in headlining panel above the driver (look for a circle of holes)?

we had a 2013 Venga 2 with bluetooth, unfortunately by modern standards the overall system performance was very poor :( Sorry

·
Registered
683 Posts
Long time since I dealt with ISO connectors. The C plug was in three different coloured sections which slotted together. Before that it was red with ten terminals the same size as in the power and speaker plugs (3mm was it?) But I go back to just wires out the back, with bayonet connectors for the speakers and Lucar for the power. (On Philips car radios) Before the Japanese arrived with thin bullet connectors.

Still the doctors are pleased that I've stopped looking at antennas (aerials) now.

The pinout is looking at the mating face of the socket or the rear face of the plug. So after some brain twisting and inversion (you could have held the plug the same way round as in the socket photo) C1 1&2 do seem to be occupied. Unfortunately Kia do not follow the old international wire colours and the conventional pinout for C connectors all relates to remote CD players and remote amps. So what you need is a Kia wiring diagram. Car Audio ISO connector pinout diagram @ pinoutguide.com As you see here originally they were pins 1-20

Over the years motor manufacturers have wavered between putting every option on all harnesses as it saves stock lines, picking time and line fit time AND the cost saving in copper, plastics insulation, terminals, housings and weight.

So you defo need the full cct diagram. Which is probably in Korean. BTW It looks like the early Soul could have the same pinout. KIA Car Radio Stereo Audio Wiring Diagram Autoradio connector wire installation schematic schema esquema de conexiones stecker konektor connecteur cable shema. Sorry!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Are you sure the mic is not factory installed, in headlining panel above the driver (look for a circle of holes)?

we had a 2013 Venga 2 with bluetooth, unfortunately by modern standards the overall system performance was very poor :( Sorry
To be clear i'm referring to the bluetooth performance being poor. Examples are, only possible to dial last number called on your phone, no phone book / contacts, music streaming was possible but worked better through usb.

I was considering a Pioneer carplay double din unit, fitting kits available via the likes of Connect2 etc. Late in the day l'm afraid but l think you will be disappointed with the bluetooth performance by modern standards.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. Im sure there's no factory fitted microphone in my Venga. The original head unit had no bluetooth so it would make no sense to fit a microphone to a car as well. When I make a phone call through bluetooth I can hear the person at the other end clearly but when I respond they can't hear me. This suggests me that since there are some cables connected to the microphone pins on the harness, the head unit recognises a possible microphone connection and uses it for that reason.

Tadas

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Long time since I dealt with ISO connectors. The C plug was in three different coloured sections which slotted together. Before that it was red with ten terminals the same size as in the power and speaker plugs (3mm was it?) But I go back to just wires out the back, with bayonet connectors for the speakers and Lucar for the power. (On Philips car radios) Before the Japanese arrived with thin bullet connectors.

Still the doctors are pleased that I've stopped looking at antennas (aerials) now.

The pinout is looking at the mating face of the socket or the rear face of the plug. So after some brain twisting and inversion (you could have held the plug the same way round as in the socket photo) C1 1&2 do seem to be occupied. Unfortunately Kia do not follow the old international wire colours and the conventional pinout for C connectors all relates to remote CD players and remote amps. So what you need is a Kia wiring diagram. Car Audio ISO connector pinout diagram @ pinoutguide.com As you see here originally they were pins 1-20

Over the years motor manufacturers have wavered between putting every option on all harnesses as it saves stock lines, picking time and line fit time AND the cost saving in copper, plastics insulation, terminals, housings and weight.

So you defo need the full cct diagram. Which is probably in Korean. BTW It looks like the early Soul could have the same pinout. KIA Car Radio Stereo Audio Wiring Diagram Autoradio connector wire installation schematic schema esquema de conexiones stecker konektor connecteur cable shema. Sorry!

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. So any thoughts what might be connected with these two wires? Please correct me if I'm wrong but if the two top pins on the C1 connector are dedicated for microphone nothing else can really be connected there? Do you reckon Kia dealerships would be able to provide me with some information? Thanks

Tadas

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To be clear i'm referring to the bluetooth performance being poor. Examples are, only possible to dial last number called on your phone, no phone book / contacts, music streaming was possible but worked better through usb.

I was considering a Pioneer carplay double din unit, fitting kits available via the likes of Connect2 etc. Late in the day l'm afraid but l think you will be disappointed with the bluetooth performance by modern standards.
At this point I'm quite happy with the music streaming through bluetooth and having a good quality hands-free system would be even better. Google Auto is quite good with voice commands and it can do simple tasks like start spotify, call certain person, reply someone through messenger, etc.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I would think it quite possible that the wiring for a microphone is installed in the loom and connectors (cheaper to only make a single loom rather than making a second loom with wires removed) but that the microphone itself is not connected at the end of the loom.

If you can access the location of the loom you may find an unused connector lurking there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would think it quite possible that the wiring for a microphone is installed in the loom and connectors (cheaper to only make a single loom rather than making a second loom with wires removed) but that the microphone itself is not connected at the end of the loom.

If you can access the location of the loom you may find an unused connector lurking there.
Hi,
Thank you for your reply.
That's exactly my thinking as well. It would make sense at least. I can't think these wires to be for anything else and there has to be something at the other end. Even if it's just plain wires isolated, that would allow me to connect the microphone in some way. I'll see if I can trace the wires to see where they're going. Thanks

Tadas

·
Registered
61 Posts
I also found these in Kia Venga Service Manual, but it doesn't seem to give any additional info.
I have a 2016 KIA VENGA 3.I would to fit a front parking camera. I would like this to play on head unit .there is a rear camera fitted that plays on the head unit. the rear camera feed wires are white/blue/white/green/red/black/ I will need to switch feed between cameras and head unit.

Is this possible is there any company that makes a loom to do this.

there are a number videos you tube where it has been done but no details of where to get a loom hope you can help me to do this.
JIMSAAB THANKS.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Something like these?

Although they are sold as four camera units you don't have to connect four cameras.

What you want to achieve is not a complex exercise in wiring / electronics terms but there are probably few 'plug and play' solutions that will not require some electronics / electrical knowledge.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts