Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any Souls out there with well worn 18 inch tyres (but not illegal or anything yet) and noticing the car wandering a bit more. I have to watch the car constantly - on slightly bumpy roads it is needing constant correction to stay in lane. I know the 18 tyres have wide contact patches which can cause a slight tendancy to wander - but will this get worse as the tyres wear down?. No kerbs have been hit etc - the tracking is spot on as are the pressures..... thoughts please.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Does the wheel straighten up full after turning tightly or do you have to help it?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
All wide very low profile tyres have tendancy to react to surface changes more than their narrower breathrensince there is less sidewall to absorb the road imperfections. As the rubber gets older its charisteristics will change. Some years ago Bridgestone made tyres with harder rubber on the sufacewith gradually softer rubber below that was used as tyre wear progressed. In reality the softer rubber was just as hard as the original due to the aging process but the tyre was consistent for longer. When I raced we used to have the tyres shaved down to the softer rubber, simply brilliant. No real advantage because we all did it.

Paul

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Yes all wide low profile tend to react more,I have noticed it on my 18" Hankooks with nearly 20k on them,I used to get it a lot with my two seater as well with even lower profile than the soul on it.The trouble is you tend to be more aware if you know its there and notice it all the time.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes having noticed it, it is now bugging me. The country lanes round here are narrow enough - without the car making itself wider......lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
The taller tires will do that more so than the 16" wheels. That was a major factor in going for the
Soul + here. The Sport model had the larger wheels and could not be ordered without them.

I find the 16" tires much cheaper to replace than the 18" also. The difference is SIGNIFICANT

by nearly half the cost. The quality of the OEM tires is rather poor. Once I switched to a set

of Yokohama tires (only because of a good deal) the handling improved a lot. When these

wear out I will switch to Michelin or some other brand of that quality (Pirelli has some nice tires

to).

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
My Hankooks tyres are really good tyres and wear well they are not to noisy and they have 25k plus on them at the moment but should do another 5k at least before I need to replace them. The look of the 18" wheels are worth the extra cost which for my Hankooks replacements with the same tyres will be £123 fully fitted with nitrogen in them.I have also found that if you run them at 35psi front and 32psi rear for normal running they are very stable and do not wander around at all.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i have heard good reports on Falken tyres and they do the 18 size at sensible money.... anybody back this up?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dunno...... i have seen then advertised over here..... but only heard the Americans recommending them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts