Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 First Edition
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s official. Kia Europe have now given us access to update our infotainment systems ourselves.

if you download the macOS version you need to go into system preferences and allow the app to open. I can’t speak for windows.

it took me 3 attempts to do it, and even then I didn’t think it had worked as speedometer units are now separate from the infotainment system and accessed via a menu via the steering wheel. I had to physically stick a pin in the reset hole to restart the infotainment system and my menu item appeared.

I believe it sorts out the efficiency figures from the June update.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Any different to this update?...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had two goes at downloading the update on a Windows 10 PC. On the second go I had bought a new 32GB usb stick (3.1) and it took a long time to complete; about 6 hours. The download was a small part, it was the copying files bit that took the time. I just left it to it.
I successfully installed; it took about an hour and the process differs from the help screens provided. It is however a simple process but has more stages. It was at about 90% installed and switched back to the "update" screen - and nothing had changed. I turned off the car - and then it came-up with "do you want to install the update - it will take 8 minutes". I chose yes and it reverted to a slider and % bar - true to it's word it took about 8 mins. Slightly unnerving, it said "don't turn off the car" - but I had already! It then restarted the system - and I restarted the car. (It hasn't changed the annoying noise cacophony that accompanies that!)
The result seems OK but different and you have to go through a set-up process again as you would expect. I also had a problem finding Android Auto on the new screens. It is hidden in "Media" - also the phone and car seem to have a phobia about the cable - the new phone (Google Pixel 6) rejects more cables than the previous (Nokia 8) and didn't respond to any I had - I have just bought a new one and it seems to recognise that. The Phone should be wireless for Android Auto but it needed to connect with a cable first - and that is still to be resolved!
When I first used the car - it had changed to Km - and I had to pull-up and find how to change that!

·
Registered
2021 Soul EV FE
281 Posts
I don't understand why Kia made it necessary to install an app in order to select and download software. I'm mostly a Linux user. I can usually work-around this annoying Windows/Mac dependency bo***cks, but I resent the idea that any of us need an app to do what a web-site/web-app should be capable of doing.
Make a website which asks for your VIN then provide a download for whatever is appropriate for your car... be it latest software, latest mapping or the PDF of the manual.
Of course it would make sense to get you to login, so that they have some control of who has access.

The only usefulness of an installed app is if it will do some local machine validation of the SD card or USB pen drive and can format it and copy the software to the right place. I can see that it can provide certainty about getting the software in the right place on a card in the right format when you can't always trust muppets to follow instructions!

But... We shouldn't have to trust and install apps, even if we have Windows or Mac.

·
Registered
2019 Ceed first edition
479 Posts
At above the vin number method is how Ford work it, however there were many folk who would then try to unzip files to the wrong place. Yes, not reading instructions, but maybe Kia decided they would try to combat that.

·
Super Moderator
3,427 Posts
RobinB I am pleased you have the knowledge, and the will, to bypass Windows/MacOS and negate all that app/updater stuff. Unfortunately the majority of car owners don't have your abilities, they just want to update their sat nav as quickly as possible and have no idea what Linux is, let alone that it even exists. I think you will find they outnumber the the tech savvy owners like your good self.

·
Super Moderator
9,456 Posts
The Phone should be wireless for Android Auto but it needed to connect with a cable first - and that is still to be resolved!
When I first used the car - it had changed to Km - and I had to pull-up and find how to change that!

Head unit needs to be enabled for Wireless AA to work. And it seems this is not going to happen. Unless you have one of the few new cars that it has been activated on. Looking at specs Soul EV is not one of them.

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,497 Posts
Head unit needs to be enabled for Wireless AA to work. And it seems this is not going to happen. Unless you have one of the few new cars that it has been activated on. Looking at specs Soul EV is not one of them.
The Head unit needs to support 5 GHz WiFi - i.e. the hardware has to be 5 GHz capable. I believe that only recent units meet this requirement. Older Nav units will never, natively, support wireless AA .

Reactions: iooi and mr.macspot

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,497 Posts
Exactly & the Gen 5 units we were told had this & just needed a software update to enable it. Which has since been confirmed that this will not be happening.
I can only assume that Kia may not have accurate records of which cars are equipped with 5 GHz WiFi units. It may well be that LG (who make them I think) did not even declare to Kia the hardware in each unit they delivered - it would not surprise me to find that a mixture of WiFi modules have been used and Kia is not willing to release the AA SW lest it divides owners into groups of haves and have nots.

·
Registered
2021 Soul EV FE
281 Posts
RobinB I am pleased you have the knowledge, and the will, to bypass Windows/MacOS and negate all that app/updater stuff. Unfortunately the majority of car owners don't have your abilities, they just want to update their sat nav as quickly as possible and have no idea what Linux is, let alone that it even exists. I think you will find they outnumber the the tech savvy owners like your good self.
Well I may have the knowledge and will, but they've made it needlessly tricky (for what I freely admit is a minority audience).
So far I haven't rushed to update, because we got the spring update to our Soul EV weeks after taking delivery in May and I saw the problems some people were reporting and thought I would stay a few steps behind the bleeding edge. ...So I haven't begun to try yet.
Prompted by your reply I thought I'd at least download the updater software and try running it... I was blocked at the first hurdle. If I click the download button for downloading the Windows version it
says
Can't download this version for your OS
Please download the Navigation Updater for Mac
Guess what it does if I try to download the Mac software? It suggests I try to download the version for Windows!
I only wanted to run the updater software to see how easy and intuitive it made the task of selecting the right car firmware.

I'll get over these hassles (when I'm ready to) but it probably won't be until the new year. I don't fancy messing with car firmware a week before Christmas travels! ;)
Damn silly of Kia to use browser detection of the OS and then make it difficult to download the software when the user has been asked explicitly which OS they want to run the software under.
Before ubiquitous home broadband it was quite common for people to download things at work because they had faster connectivity, then take the file home on a pen drive.

Reactions: mr.macspot
1 - 13 of 13 Posts