Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my money pit Sedona, (2.9 crd GS auto, late 57 plate) with a modest 28,000 miles has just cost me another small fortune.

Service £250. reasonable i suppose.

However, new brake pads all round - £220. I had discs and pads done under warranty at 8,000 miles. I know its big and heavy but at this rate its going to need pads every 2 years/20k miles! Is this normal?

But worst of all because the emissions light keeps coming on under moderate to hard acceleration i need a new IMV valve which will be another £430 fitted. That's £900 in total!!!!!!!

I wish i had never bought it. But i'll lose a fortune if i sell it.

Anyway rant over;- Are there any alternatives to a new IMV valve, i have picked up comments here and there about these valves being a problem on early new shape Sedonas.

Thanks

I dread the next known fault biting me in the wallet!

·
Registered
31 Posts
£220 for 8 brake pads....was he wearing a mask & holding a blunder buss????

I've just upgraded mine to EBS carbon Iron mix pads for £128.00!

I'm having the sameissueunder hardacceleration, but only in first gear so have adjusted my driving style to suit for now.

I lot of people on hear are putting this issue down to poor fuel quality, i've been staying clear of supermarket stuff for a while andoccasionallybuying super plus highway robbery diesel, don't know if this has had much effect though.

·
Registered
437 Posts
You need to get the brakes checked to see if they are binding, if they are (usually on opposite corners) it will need the push rod in the brake servo adjusted. Also imv fault is very common, nothing to do with cheap fuel. Once replaced never seem to be a problem

·
Registered
536 Posts
see known faults are all well and good....But if its "known" is obviouslya fault thats been leaving the factory in a condition or design flaw thats not upto standard. A friend had a dual mass flywheel fault with a year old transit van that cost him £3000 to repair else it was worthless. the parts that went in were totally different and cured the problem...Ford wont admit liability yet have redesigned faulty parts!! I believe anything thats a "known fault" should be covered under warranty...regardless of consumability. At least for the first 3 years.

Sorry to hear about about the big bill MDS. At 30000miles i would be expecting to change the pads and disks the first time not the second. But its not just wear while driving. if you live next to the sea, dont use it everyday ect, corrosion can make them wear quicker. it may just be that the brakes have been borrowed from another kiaplatform and there not quite upto the job for the sedona...obviously that dosent help you! if your still under warranty then make due for a little longer but in the last year, if they need replacing again.. change them for a set of EBC redstuff brake pads. there compatible with standard disks and are alot harder. They will be around the same price but should last longer althought they do take a while to bed in
Edited by: RichieD76

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
A lot of garages are replacing DMFs with a solid flywheel not just Kia brand, no more problems after that.

·
Registered
536 Posts
yeah i'm awear. my passat had one and nearly all new cars do. The problem with the transit is clutch plate retainers apparently not being abl to hold the extra torque while under heavy load. snapping springs, retainers...whatever and locking with the flywheel and causing crank/bellhousing damage. Only on the 1 yearof the new type 220 transits. was fords first go at a front wheel drive transit so.. either way i got rid of the one i brought for my fleet and got a few vauxhall vivaro's instead. but like i say that was a friends problem. My point was that untill the manufacture is pressured into admitting fault, nothing gets done and the owner fits the bill. I for one am right behind the picanto owners getting together about the pulley bolt failure. Know faults are a Normalization Of Deviance. when you get away with a problem so you continue to repeat the problems of the past

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
DMFs are more bother than what they are worth. What the hell were they thinking when they came up with this load o crap. You never had problems with solid flywheels. Same goes for dampened crank pulleys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts