Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went to take my daughter to work car started no problem cleared the snow off then drove 5 miles at the most engine cuts out.
first thought cam belt gone tools in car so checked that still in tacked (thank F for that).

then noticed that the immo light does not go out like it used to.

20 mins latter car starts so drove it back home as sone as i got home i turned it off and yes will not start again.

the car runs fine no problems at all plenty of power and no smoke and has allways started first time every time.

any help would begreatfully received.

martin

·
Registered
702 Posts
dmc said:
went to take my daughter to work car started no problem cleared the snow off then drove 5 miles at the most engine cuts out.
first thought cam belt gone tools in car so checked that still in tacked (thank F for that).

then noticed that the immo light does not go out like it used to.

20 mins latter car starts so drove it back home as sone as i got home i turned it off and yes will not start again.

the car runs fine no problems at all plenty of power and no smoke and has allways started first time every time.

any help would begreatfully received.

martin
If it cut out whilst driving it sounds like a loose wire. I dont know what colour the wire is on a Mk2 Sedona but on the MK1's as you look at the the immobiliser the top right hand corner is the one I had trouble with not putting power in to the Immob to take the light out. I would check all the connections first.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this the first time it has happened.

i have a white and black wire from the anttena coil.

been wriggling them and nothing.

its been sitting a long time now going to see if it starts and pull some wires about to see what happens.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
engine cooled down starts again no problem and runs fine turn it off and now wont start again.
i have unpluged the immo coil andthe light does not come on when itsunplugged.

as soon as its connected it come on as it should as soon as the car started it whent out.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just been out and yet again it started first time.
this is starting to get on my nerves now cant see it beeing fuel related.

but going to change the fuel filter and see what happens

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Hi dmc<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

If the replacement fuel
filter hasn't been effective it might be worth booking your car into your local
dealer. If there's an electrical problem this might be very difficult for you
to trace at home.

Your local dealers contact
details can be found on our website - www.kia.co.uk/find-a-dealer.aspx

Kia Customer Service

0845 6017521

Visit www.kia.co.uk

Join In www.facebook.com/kiamotorsuk

Enjoy www.youtube.com/kiamotorsuk

Call centre opening hours:

Monday to Wednesday: 8:30am - 6pm

Thursday: 9:30am - 6pm

Friday: 8:30am - 6pm

Saturday: 9am - 1pm

Sunday: Closed

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok update time.
not sure what the problem is now as i am able to unplug the the immo coil round the ignition

barrel and it will still start no problem.

and have unpluged the the immo box at the bottom the stearing coloum and it will not start but plug back in and starts no problem.

what i would like to know is when you fist get into the car put key in the ignition.

should it bring up the immo light and go straight out before starting or should it be

stayon then go out when started.

as i am sure mine went out as soon as i turned on the ignition as in quick show then go out.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@ kia customer service
i am now waiting for kia service department to ring back.

on as to how the immo light should function.

Edited by: dmc

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Hi dmc<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Good luck with the diagnosis
and please let us know if we can be of any help.

Kia Customer Service

0845 6017521

Visit www.kia.co.uk

·
Registered
702 Posts
dmc said:
ok update time.
not sure what the problem is now as i am able to unplug the the immo coil round the ignition

barrel and it will still start no problem.

and have unpluged the the immo box at the bottom the stearing coloum and it will not start but plug back in and starts no problem.

what i would like to know is when you fist get into the car put key in the ignition.

should it bring up the immo light and go straight out before starting or should it be

stayon then go out when started.

as i am sure mine went out as soon as i turned on the ignition as in quick show then go out.
Hi DMC

It sounds as if the immobiliser is tuffed. If you unplug the immob coil from the barrel it should not start, the immobiliser light when the key is inserted and turned should come on for around 30 seconds and start. Send me your email address in a pm and I'll send you what I have on the immobilsers system fitted to the Sedona, if you wait for KCS to ring you back normally the answer is bring it in and we'll stick it on the machine which if we had deep pockets full of cash and no other bills would be the first port of call for all of us . Alas how many times have we seen on here customers have done exactly this and after a lot of money and stress been left exactly how they started with the same problem and a lot less money

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hi Bruno thanks for that answer pm with email on its way.
and yes i know what main dealers are like i have worked for ford and peugeot.

but i just hate electrics.

gone are the days when a electrical fault was easy to find and non starting

could have been plug points etc all cheap not now. lol

·
Registered
422 Posts
Kia Customer Service said:
Hi dmc

Good luck with the diagnosis
and please let us know if we can be of any help.

Kia Customer Service

0845 6017521

Visit www.kia.co.uk

Hi, What further help can Kia Customer Service offer to owners whose vehicles are well out of warranty - from looking at a lot of the replies given to Forum members the only advice is where to find your local Kia Dealership and to take your car there for any investigation/repair. This is not what the majority of members need. The idea of this Forum is for members to exchange information and advice, that enables us to carry out our own maintenance, servicing and repairs, and hopefully avoid the cost of an expensive trip to the Dealers. If you scan through the different sections you will see that there are a lot of very knowledgeable and skilled members who carry out complicated and difficult repairs and are very willing to pass this information on to others. We would appreciate technical advice from Kia - not a stock reply giving a link to web site where we can find our local Kia dealer. We know where they are already!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
alcutler said:
Kia Customer Service said:
Hi dmc<O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>
Good luck with the diagnosis and please let us know if we can be of any help.<O:p></O:p>
Kia Customer Service <O:p></O:p>
0845 6017521<O:p></O:p>
Visit www.kia.co.uk<O:p></O:p>
Join In www.facebook.com/kiamotorsuk<O:p></O:p>
Enjoy www.youtube.com/kiamotorsuk<O:p></O:p>
Call centre opening hours:<O:p></O:p>
Monday to Wednesday: 8:30am - 6pm<O:p></O:p>
Thursday: 9:30am - 6pm<O:p></O:p>
Friday: 8:30am - 6pm<O:p></O:p>
Saturday: 9am - 1pm<O:p></O:p>
Sunday: Closed<O:p></O:p>
Hi, What further help can Kia Customer Service offer to owners whose vehicles are well out of warranty - from looking at a lot of the replies given to Forum members the only advice is where to find your local Kia Dealership and to take your car there for any investigation/repair. This is not what the majority of members need. The idea of this Forum is for members to exchange information and advice, that enables us to carry out our own maintenance, servicing and repairs, and hopefully avoid the cost of an expensive trip to the Dealers. If you scan through the different sections you will see that there are a lot of very knowledgeable and skilled members who carry out complicated and difficult repairs and are very willing to pass this information on to others. We would appreciate technical advice from Kia - not a stock reply giving a link to web site where we can find our local Kia dealer. We know where they are already!

i agree Many thanks to Bruno for what he has emailed me as it does look like its the immob that has packed up.

just need to find out now if anybody else can do the reprograming of the immob or do away with it.

if not just hope kia dont charge a fortune. but having worked for a main dealer i know how they can charge. its not good when you can do all your own work on it then when this happens you are stuck with having to pay for it.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hope you get your's sorted our's goes in on wednesday for intermitten none starting due to the immobilizer, sometimes our's will not come on! We take out warranty just incase things like this happen! But this is the second time something has gone wrong with it!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well its booked in for monday as they are fully booked my local dealer does not whant to know atall so have a 20ml drive on monday.
there excuses was that it was a old car and they have only been doing kia for the last 4 years so there fitters would not know where to look for the fault.
im not impressed with them.

will post more - update when its done just hope its not going to cost a fortune.
sorry of corse it will its going to the main dealer £95 just to diagnose the fault.

·
Registered
702 Posts
dmc said:
well its booked in for monday as they are fully booked my local dealer does not whant to know atall so have a 20ml drive on monday.
there excuses was that it was a old car and they have only been doing kia for the last 4 years so there fitters would not know where to look for the fault.
im not impressed with them.

will post more - update when its done just hope its not going to cost a fortune.
sorry of corse it will its going to the main dealer �95 just to diagnose the fault.
I know you are not near Leicester but it sounds very like the reply I got when asking a question of on of the 2 dealers here " we dont do many Kia's". Although I did notice the Large Kia dealer a well know multi franchise car dealer in the East Midlands are having a new Kia garage only built on the London raod in the city. Maybe they will get some dedicated Kia technicans as oppossed to the ford ones they seem to have(I know it must be the warmer weather making me optimistic). One of the problems that seems to crop up on here and the other forum is the seemingly scatter gun approach of some main dealers ie. £80 to plug your shiny pride and joy into their state of the art 22nd century diagnostic machine only for it to not throw out any fault codes so the dealer just changes things in no seemingly organised way starting at the dearest and working their way down the price list until its cured/you've traded it in/ gone to another garage/lost the will to live or the wallets empty(pick any of the above) This does seem to be a problem with main dealers only getting cars that are still under warranty or the driver is ignorant of the fact he can take his 8 year kia somewhere else probably near and cheaper. Hope they fix your immobiliser problem without you having to decide which kidney you can live without

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hi Bruno i live by the dartford tunnel.
i have spoken to a motor electrician who has done work fo the local kia garage he has said they have looked into removal of the immob on a sedona they did for them and said it cant be done.

he also told me that they was not very good there as they sent all there electricel problems down to them even just a bad earth problem on the rear lights which was just a bulb shorting.

just shows how good they are there but i do remember them saying in there parts department that it took them nearly 2 days to do a cam belt on one.

i will be speaking to the service manager when i get there as i wont to see what it comesup with on the diagnostics before any work goes ahead.

i know im looking at a bill at £150 min just hope it dont go much over £200

just got to wait and see i will post up results and the shocking cost of it all fingers crossed it something small

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
update time its in kia and no fault found and no ecu fault codesso the fitter says but would not start after i got there.
they took it up the road still saying no fault found so waiting in reception for and waiting for the car to come round 5 min later still no car the get called saying it wont start so checking again

and they are saying its the camshaft sensor that is faulty.

so just the wait no to see if it fixes it.

Question is does the camshaft sensor affect the immobilizer light ?

·
Registered
702 Posts
dmc said:
update time its in kia and no fault found and no ecu fault codesso the fitter says but would not start after i got there.
they took it up the road still saying no fault found so waiting in reception for and waiting for the car to come round 5 min later still no car the get called saying it wont start so checking again

and they are saying its the camshaft sensor that is faulty.

so just the wait no to see if it fixes it.

Question is does the camshaft sensor affect the immobilizer light ?
Hi mate
Sounds like headless chicken mode down there
. As far as I'm aware the camshaft sensor would stop it running/starting but weather it would affect the the immobiliser I'm doubtful. If the camshaft sensor was faulty it would flash a code of its own. Why when you remove the sensor from around the ignition barrel it starts is very strange as its suppose to pick up the chip in the key and pass this to the immobiliser unit, if the chip in the key is faulty or the sensor is faulty then it shouldn't start. The 2 things are seperate from the camshaft sensor. I hope you get it fixed by Kia but if not I woyuld look for a really good auto electrican to have a look and follow any wiring diagrams for the immobiliser he should be able to sort the problem without resorting to anything other than a multimetre , experience and his training

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thats exactly what i thought have spoken to few people since i got home and its one thing i am going to bring up again when i speak to them next on the phone.
the wasn't to keen on me waiting around this morning to find out on what faults they find. I had 4 differnt busses to get home and nearly 1.5hr of traveling.

i do hope its it if not a may get abit angry as to why i was told it was the cam sensor when it clearly was not as if it still does it they have not looked at what it was there for as they was told immobalizer fault and about the light on the dash not doing as it should and still starting with antena coil round the barrel disconected it still starts.

so Kia Customer Service do you have a answer this time

1 - 20 of 34 Posts