Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Yesterday I was unfortunately had to drive through a very strong storm, and inside "heavy waters" due to floods. I realized that soil had ingressed under the driver's door hinge. I remove it, however, Ι accidentally move a foam separator between the front wheel dome and the door. Is any danger of my action? I attach a photo where I show the "problem"

Where are the drainage holes located in our cars? Maybe I had to clean them...

·
Registered
983 Posts
Removing The foam spacer won't be a problem, it's a good idea to leave it out for a while to let warm air circulate there.
How deep was the flood water?

The sills, subframe, may have water inside but that should dry out OK during a Greek summer.
Perhaps at the end of summer before rain comes you can treat your car to some "fluid film" in the doors, sills, subframe so that it will be ready for the next floods.

The only drainage holes are in the sills at the seam, otherwise in the doors at the lowest points.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Removing The foam spacer won't be a problem, it's a good idea to leave it out for a while to let warm air circulate there.
How deep was the flood water?

The sills, subframe, may have water inside but that should dry out OK during a Greek summer.
Perhaps at the end of summer before rain comes you can treat your car to some "fluid film" in the doors, sills, subframe so that it will be ready for the next floods.

The only drainage holes are in the sills at the seam, otherwise in the doors at the lowest points.
Hi Jack,
that's a good idea, to have some kind of "fluid film". Could you suggest me one?
Furthermore, how can I remove the foam spacer? The water was about 5-6cm with strong flow. Actually, a stream of rain water hit the driver's door from the left when I was driving forward.

I have one more question... When I opened the boot, the door seal was wet, not outside but on its upper side. It seems water has somehow ingressed from the boot.Is that a normal behaviour? The seal is new, genuine and undamaged. Only thing I can think about is the cracked third stop light.

New edit: In my attempt to remove the plastic boot cover, I accidentally broke two guide plastic "screws". Would this cause any type of problem? The cover is positioned right despite the broken plastic guide screws. I also poured 3 liters of water just on the 3rd brake light. No water ingress was observed.
After the heavy rain this is the spot where the water concentrates, like a small "lake". And eventually some drops have been found in the spare tire well.

Any help will be more than valuable!!!!!!

·
Registered
983 Posts
the best anti rust treatment that I have used is Fluid Film.
www.fluid-film.com
it comes in a standard spray can with a long thin hose and a nozzle making it easy to use in the doors, sills and anywhere you can insert the hose really.
it's also available in 1kg tubs to brush on places like the subframe or tow bar if you have one.
I see now that you only moved the spacer, not removed the spacer. In that case it's probably best to leave it there as it's bound to be glued in place. I would assume that this foam spacer is well ventilated so that it does not remain wet for long other wise it would have caused rust long ago.

I have not experienced water ingress around the tailgate seal, perhaps the rain in greece is heavier. Because the climate is mostly warm and dry there, the car probably wont be wet long enough to be a rust threat. If it was a cold country where the water may lie against the steel for weeks on end then that would be more likely to cause rust.

Testing for a leak with 3 liters is probably not enough, you may have to leave the garden hose on the roof for 10 minutes or more to see water leaking in past the hi mounted stop light.

5-6cm of water depth should not be a problem either, or strong rain. These cars are used in places where it rains for weeks on end, or have snowy slush sprayed along the same areas for weeks on end.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
the best anti rust treatment that I have used is Fluid Film.
www.fluid-film.com
it comes in a standard spray can with a long thin hose and a nozzle making it easy to use in the doors, sills and anywhere you can insert the hose really.
it's also available in 1kg tubs to brush on places like the subframe or tow bar if you have one.
I see now that you only moved the spacer, not removed the spacer. In that case it's probably best to leave it there as it's bound to be glued in place. I would assume that this foam spacer is well ventilated so that it does not remain wet for long other wise it would have caused rust long ago.

I have not experienced water ingress around the tailgate seal, perhaps the rain in greece is heavier. Because the climate is mostly warm and dry there, the car probably wont be wet long enough to be a rust threat. If it was a cold country where the water may lie against the steel for weeks on end then that would be more likely to cause rust.

Testing for a leak with 3 liters is probably not enough, you may have to leave the garden hose on the roof for 10 minutes or more to see water leaking in past the hi mounted stop light.

5-6cm of water depth should not be a problem either, or strong rain. These cars are used in places where it rains for weeks on end, or have snowy slush sprayed along the same areas for weeks on end.
As always you are more than explanatory!

I should mention that I saw the water on the trunk lid after opening the boot just after the rain stopped. No signs of water in the boot except from these drops on the spare tire well. Also, the perimeter of the seal seemed to be dry. That is strange because I thought that the water travelled from a higher point to the lower one via the lid channels.

I also suspect rubber boot lid stoppers. How do I know if they are adjusted properly?

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts