Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all. Had to have the car towed home this evening after the key turned to the first position and then refused to go either forwards or backwards. Have lubed, jiggled and hit it, but no joy. Garage believed it was failure in the barrel, possibly a broken pin (?).
Have seen some videos which look fairly straightforward for barrel replacement, but cannot find the part for love nor money. Anyone aware of a compatible or aftermarket workaround? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Replacing ignition barrel, also means replacing keyed door locks. Buy a used set, and swap out rfid immobilser module in the keys?
I have seen youtube videos where they disassemble the barrel and take out the stuck pin (key works on 4 of 5 pins) or remove all pins (preventing any future failures)
So it still acts as a turnkey switch requiring just the immobiliser tag on the key.
Good luck whichever way you go.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just an update. To get up and running, I removed all of the pins from the barrel. I can now start the car, but there is no security in the lock. Also the key just drops out as there is no tension on it.
It's a workaround, but I'll continue to look for a new cylinder.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Glad to hear your back up and running with the workaround.
I see plenty of used key and barrel sets on sale on ebay.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts