Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a Kia rio 1.3 lx, and the ignition leads are arcing badly. I bought a new set, but still have the same problem, I can see them arcing all along the leads in the dark, and the car is running badly. The plugs seem to be ok and have the correct gaps, so i'm thinking all that's left is the coilpack. Does anyone know if The coilpack could cause this.

Thank you, Kev.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I can't think its the coilpack if the leads are arcing to the engine. It is bad insulation or a breakdown/crack of the insulation on the leads.
You cant really tell by looking at a plug to say its ok. The plugs could be cracked internally or the resistance has failed in them. I would renew the plugs and get a good quality set of leads.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Davy,
Thank you for your quick reply. I have just bought brand new leads, but these are also arcing all the way along them. I will try your option and buy some more plugs.

I really appreciate your help.

Thank you, Kev.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi Kev does sound like the plugs could be suspect.
If you are getting a high resistance at the plug end, this could cause the leads to breakdown.

But if the leads are a bit damp then at night they can look light Christmas decorations?

Bob

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I'd check the plugs if I were you. Got my Rio 1.3 with 76K miles on the clock with a full history. Had a look through it and couldn't see any bills for spark plugs. Took one out and the gap was 2mm!!! Put some nice new NGKs in and it ran a LOT better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts