Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the thread title says, my ignition key has snapped - not the key itself but the metal swivelling bit that holds it in, does anyone have any idea what to do? I've seen replacement fobs for sale for less than a fiver but that involves swapping the internals out of my key into the new one, which I'm not confident of doing. Would it be advisable to go to a Kia dealer?

·
Registered
821 Posts
If you have a Timpsons local to you they can repair your existing remote or non remote key, or replace the whole thing for more money. I'm sure there are other companies out there but I've only used Timpsons before. Pretty much a 'while you wait' service.Phil

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really? Timpsons will do that? I thought they could just cut you another house key.

·
Registered
821 Posts
smellmet said:
Really? Timpsons will do that? I thought they could just cut you another house key.
I know, i was surprised. Just googled it and this was the result

https://www.timpson.co.uk/services/car-keys
As I say they mended my broken Skoda remote key by just replacing the actual metal bit.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's great info I'll give them a try.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just had it in Timpsons. They're fitting my the internals of my fob into a new shell and key. £35. Can't really argue with that.

·
Registered
49 Posts
both my keys have hairline cracks worth everyone having a look at your keys!they crack at the base of the key,there is a tutorial on youtube on how to change internals,dont forget the little black chip glued in it in it though! I bought the shells with key blanks,changed the guts over and a local key cutting shop cut the blank for £10.00 so £13.00 all in. It is fiddly though,and if you bust the chip its game over!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Old thread I know...

I broke both keys in my Kia, same issue - started with hairline crack, stupid engineering...
Both keys repaired with the blank body bought of Amazon for £6.99 it was fairly easy to transfer chip from one to another(not even glued) and the bayonet just needed a small grind with precise file.
Just leaving it here for anyone having same issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts