Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
I was having a problem with my key getting stuck and not moving in the ignition.
Someone on here surgested what I could do, which it did work, but now the key is starting to get stuck again. So I ve had a new unit to replace it.
I don't seem to be able to find anywhere how to remove old one to replace new one.
Any ideas would be from any of you would be much appreciated.
Attached what they sent.
HELP.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,329 Posts
What model? How old? Should be a warranty problem if quite new. I assume it's not the steering column lock giving you a problem?!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi.
Kia pancanto 999cc 2010
It's the bog standard kia.
And no steering lock is fine.
Definitely the barrel.
Di

·
Registered
222 Posts
The usual procedure in this situation is to change the key & its cylinder, not the barrel assembly.

somebody may be along soon who knows the picanto better than I ;)

·
Registered
289 Posts
get a locksmith to change the barrels over or a local garage to change the whole unit.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'd imagine the captive loop that goes around the steering column uses shear bolts (ie: the head snaps off once at correct torque - most cars do and normally you have to saw through or drill out and replace the bolts.
Remember that if you just change the whole unit, and assuming you haven't got an additional immobiliser unit you haven't photographed then it won't work as the key will not be coded to the immobiliser unit currently in your car. You will need to change the key blade from the new barrel / key onto your key fob which has the correct immobiliser transponder.
There are Youtube videos that show this

1 - 6 of 6 Posts