Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed recently than when I stop and hold the car on the footbrake, at traffic lights or in traffic, the engine is not as smooth as it used to be and I can feel vibration. If I slip it into Neutral it goes away and the idle is smooth. It's as thought the clutch isn't fully disengaging and the car wants to go.

Any ideas?

Premium Member
When you stop the gearbox is still engaged and the 'clutch' is still active - this is why you get 'creep' on level ground.
Like yours mine being a 2L has a slightly different system to the 6-cylinder Stingers as we have a 'centrifugal pendulum absorber' type torque converter.
Being an engineer I usually slip into neutral at lights to stop the slight drag on the engine - especially if the engine hasn't warmed up yet! 馃

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you stop the gearbox is still engaged and the 'clutch' is still active - this is why you get 'creep' on level ground.
Like yours mine being a 2L has a slightly different system to the 6-cylinder Stingers as we have a 'centrifugal pendulum' type torque converter.
Being an engineer I usually slip into neutral at lights to stop the slight drag on the engine - especially if the engine hasn't warmed up yet! 馃
Thanks for the explanation.

Premium Member
Edited original post to add 'absorber'!

This is a type of dual mass flywheel which contain springs etc so eventually need replacing! 馃槙
Both my neighbours - one with an Audi and one with a Merc have had to replace their's - at around 5-7 years!

Manufacturers put them on 4-cylinder engines to smooth out vibrations caused by the increased output of modern engine designs.
6-cylinder engines don't need them so something to think about if getting a new Stinger.

For a fuller explanation see Wikipedia! I have posted on this topic just look for absorber.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.