Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there everyone.

My girlfriend has an 07 or 08 model Kia Rio (i can't remember exactly but it has the 1.5 cvvt engine) and it has some idle issues. When you turn on the air con the engine doesn't "idle-up". On all cars i've ever worked on the engines have idled up when ever you turn on the ac or headlights (+ other reasons, such as being cold). Her car does idle up when it is cold, but does not idle up for ac or headlights. This lack of idle up makes it damn hard to drive smoothly in very hot weather. The daft mechanic at the Kia dealer said that it is normal. Is he pulling my leg? Is there any specific electrical parts (fuses/capacitors/solenoids etc) that you know of that i should replace or clean. I consider myself very mechanically minded and I'm confident and willing to pull things apart.

Cheers for any help you can provide

Tom.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Sorry to hear your problem.

I can understand this sort of issue happening on a petrol engined car (alternator under heavy load, so it drags the voltage down making a small difference to the HT leads, spark plugs) but on a diesel I didn't think this happens (no HT leads, spark plugs).

I can only think that the engines ecu is not programmed properly.
I wouldnt have thought this was normal either.

sorry I cannot help further.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh sorry, the car is not diesel it is definitely petrol. I should have made it more clear that i'm in Australia. Maybe the Kia Rio's have different engines in different corners of the world. After a little research it sounds as though some part of the vacuum system is getting stuck somewhere. Is there an online manual that explains what parts of the vacuum system control certain things? Or if anyone is able to email it to me please do so [email protected]

Thanks again
I appreciate the fast response
:)

·
Registered
328 Posts
sorry tommy.
I thought the 1.5 cvvt was diesel.

You are correct to think that different engine options are available in different country's.
Here in the UK (and also Europe) there are 3 engine types (1.4l, 1.6l petrols and a 1.5l diesel).
In America only the 1.6l petrol is available.

Regarding the Vacuum system, sorry I cannot help you further.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts