Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
E Niro 4+ - Watched a brief Kia You Tube clip last night, showing that the red light flashing on top of the dashboard near the windscreen indicates the 12v battery is being charged (even when the car is switched off & locked up). I thought it was to show the car was locked & the alarm was set !
I take it the 12v battery is being charged from the main high voltage battery pack - if so, very clever especially when parked up during the cold spell.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Wonder what it signifies on the HEV? Just the alarm?
I only noticed the other day as I was adjusting my windscreen cover.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Wonder what it signifies on the HEV? Just the alarm?
I only noticed the other day as I was adjusting my windscreen cover.
If its only when car is locked, then yes alarm.

Reactions: Llanigraham

·
Registered
107 Posts
The little red light is the alarm. It's one of the larger 3 green charging lights that flashes when the 12V battery is being topped up, I think.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry to disagree AlunS, but the green lights signify the charging of the high voltage battery pack when plugged in, but the red flashing light on the dash indicates the 12v battery is being charged ( irrespective of being plugged in or not) which I reckon the power to do so must come from the high voltage battery pack . I double checked the official Kia You Tube clip to confirm this red light function, but am open to other viewpoints in case I'm wrong.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'd be interested to see a link to that video. OK, so I have a PHEV, not an EV, but anyway ...

Regarding the small red light. On my car, this is always on and blinking when the car is locked, whether charging or not. Pretty much like every other car with an alarm that I've owned in recent years to be honest.

The larger group of three green lights do indeed flash and come on in sequence when the car is plugged in and charging, but they do so in order from left to right as viewed from inside the car.

What I'm talking about is just the rightmost green light blinking on it's own when the car is unplugged from the charger. It doesn't do this all the time, and you'll be very lucky to catch it doing so, but it does happen. Other people have noticed this too.

Here's a page from the manual that shows this behaviour too.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The You Tube clip is seen by typing "Kia E Niro 12v Charging Light", although I saw the same clip via Kia's own YT video (by chance). One or two comments disagree with the function but that's life ! Thanks for your info regarding the r/h green light, I'll certainly keep an eye out for that.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tonight, on taking the dog out, I noticed for the 1st time the right hand green light flashing as AlunS indicated. When I'd returned with the dog it had gone out - however, throughout all this the red light was flashing too. I unlocked the car to see if the red light stopped flashing - it didn't, indicating to me that it was not part of the alarm system. I did notice though, that the red light became fixed for a short while when re- locking. Maybe both red & green lights are charging indicators, with the red light also being part of the alarm system - many of my previous cars (BMW's, Mercedes Honda & 3 x recent Skoda's) have had a red flashing light to indicate the car is locked & alarmed. Apart from this puzzle the car is great, just wish I could drive it more !

·
Registered
165 Posts
I checked my HEV and the red light only comes on when I lock the car.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Tonight, on taking the dog out, I noticed for the 1st time the right hand green light flashing as AlunS indicated. When I'd returned with the dog it had gone out - however, throughout all this the red light was flashing too. I unlocked the car to see if the red light stopped flashing - it didn't, indicating to me that it was not part of the alarm system. I did notice though, that the red light became fixed for a short while when re- locking. Maybe both red & green lights are charging indicators, with the red light also being part of the alarm system - many of my previous cars (BMW's, Mercedes Honda & 3 x recent Skoda's) have had a red flashing light to indicate the car is locked & alarmed. Apart from this puzzle the car is great, just wish I could drive it more !
If you open the door, get in and press the start button the flashing red light goes out. Nothing to with the charging system at all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts