Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a number of posts in the Kia Models section with people complaining about the quality of their paint jobs. When I went to the main dealer to look at a Rio for the first time, it was a blue CRDi Strike and I was not impressed. It looked like it had been done by a dodgy back street garage, coveredlike the peel of an orange and even with overspray incertain areas.

I eventually got the Graphite model and the paint job on that is great and after 18k miles, no stone chips at all. However, today I did notice on the sills, the rubber drain hole grommets (there are several of them, about 1.5 inches wide) have simply been painted over and now that paint is peeling off. I'm hoping this is just a top protective layer for the sills and there is some paint around the edges of the holes!

What's your experience?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I'm down to the primer.But hey I've went from tropical red to grey without costing me a penny. For a scotsman thats good.
. No seriously no probs with the paint job.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I would have thought the paint work was under warranty for 5 years (please correct me if I am wrong).
7 years on the new Kia's

For me 2 months after owning my car, I noticed rust on the rear boot lid.
Took it into Kia and they resprayed the rear boot and surround without any questions asked.
I then phoned kia and asked just when did my 09 reg Rio arrive in the UK.
They told me it came off the production line end of January and arrived mid February in this country.

I think Kia were really on the ball with this and top marks to them for fixing the problem.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
davy said:
I'm down to the primer.But hey I've went from tropical red to grey without costing me a penny. For a scotsman thats good.
. No seriously no probs with the paint job.

Less paint keeps the excess weight down I suppose! lol

But Diddy, have a look in the Soul model section, for example.

·
Registered
328 Posts
thanks for the tip.
I did have a good read.
It would appear I am not the only one then but at least these paint defects are fixed under warranty.

·
Registered
35 Posts
mine's the mica black and i've not found much problems so far, but i have a bonnet worth of stone chips as i do motorway driving. i say its on par with SEATs (if you owned a SEAT ibiza , you know about their stone chipping problems)

I think there's a6 year anti-performation warranty on bodywork which is seperate from the main 3, 5, or 7 year warranty. Check your manual for the small detail, but i think Kia asks you to go to a Kia garage, blah blah blah, to check for bodywork issues. So i think bad paint is covered under that. My friend has a Cee'd who had his bonnet resprayed about 3 times because the laquer keeps flaking off.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I've had lots to do with kia and have heard that they have had loads of issues with there primers it started in 2006-present day they spray 2pack primer and put single pack on top which is acrylic based and single pack
Which sometimes reacts. The reason I know this is because friend sprays them after they've reacted .
my picanto is 6 yrs old and showing signs of ware

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Dano said:
my picanto is 6 yrs old and showing signs of ware
Its cos you drive toooo fast and the wind abrasion is wearing oot yer paint. So slow doon, you yung wans are o the same fleeing about daft like.

·
Registered
662 Posts
all kia's are painted at factory in waterbase as are all new manafactured cars only commercial vehicles are allowed to be painted in two pack( spirit base) due to the amount of spirit emmissions as with all other makes they are finished in a spirit based clear coat that resists fadeing all paints are supplied by dupont in europe and they supply most manafacures lines thats why you often see the same colours on diffrent manafactures cars ie techno orange came via ford fiat and citroen

diffrence in finish comes down to the spray facility and the drying time given between finishes if the paint is too hard it will chip and too soft it will mark when polished or cleaned

·
Registered
543 Posts
Davy lol yeah and previous owner I think !! He drove it like a manic that's why I got it cheap lol only payed £ 1500 got it !! With 28k on it

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do a lot of motorway driving too and get all sorts pinging off the bodywork thrown up by lorries, but so far no chips whatsover. However, I do have a lot of chips in my windscreen! Nearly gives me a heart attack each time a stone thwacks into it and bounces off.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Have had same problem with my screen and glad not the only one that craps them self when something hits and my bonnet looks like someone shot bonnet with shot gun there's that many :(

·
Registered
328 Posts
got a few dinks on my windscreen as I also do mostly motorway miles.

Had one crack fixed as autoglass do not keep these screens in stock.

I do think the angle of the screen is a design flaw and if a few more degrees of tilt was added to the screen the problem would not exist.

Still love the Rio though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i have my screen peppered too due to this seasonal weather, only 2 major chips to speak off, one had to have the autowindscreen guy do a repair on, but fine so far. I dont think the angle of the screen is too steep as Lexus IS200 have a very steep angle on their screens. However i wont complain about some extra degrees for better aero!

Back on point, is anyone doing anything to take care of their paintwork? like waxes, polishes? any brands to speak of?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts