Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m finding this really nippy has any one found an easy way to turn it off permanently
not just hitting the off button on every re start
old car had the ability to bin the bloody thing
is it just me that finds it a pain in the arse

·
Super Moderator
5,403 Posts
No way to turn it off permanently.
It's a safety feature. Expect to be one that soon will not even have that option.
It does not cause a issue, as another user pointed out if you indicate when you are going to be crossing a white line.

Reactions: Radiorail

·
Registered
425 Posts
I’m finding this really nippy has any one found an easy way to turn it off permanently
Are you referring to the warning tones or the positive steering that puts you back between the lines? The latter can be turned off in one of the steering wheel menus, the former possibly not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,844 Posts
You don't say which version your Sportage is or it's year. On my 2017 and my early 2020 Sportages it can be switched off through the Drivers Menu, on the display between your Speedometer and Tachometer. I believe on this years model it can't be permanently switched off. As iooi states it is deemed a safety feature.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry yip it’s a 2021 jbl black
I had a 2016 GT line before and had that turned off
i recon it’s more dangerous
some of the roads I drive get narrow in places with dodgy parking
so have to sometimes go over the central line
its nearly pushed me in to parked cars twice now
I’d rather it was off full time

·
Super Moderator
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,844 Posts
Nice car. I am afraid you will have to get used to switching it off each time you get in. From various articles I've read in the motoring press this will be the new normal on all cars. Wait until the launch the automatic speed limiter!

·
Registered
2017 Sportage GT Line S - 1.6T DCT
445 Posts
Unless they have changed this since my 2017 version, then yes you absolutely can turn it off permanently.
Just use the button to the right of the steering wheel to disable it, and switch off the features in the menus on the LCD display between the dials.
I did this within the first 24 hours of buying mine and it has stayed off permanently.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Unless they have changed this since my 2017 version, then yes you absolutely can turn it off permanently.
From what I can gather, it has been altered so that it cannot be switched off in the menus accessible through the steering wheel controls.

As with your model, my Optima allows me to select and after an initial suck-it-and-see trial over a few weeks, I switched it off and it has never been used since. The Optima actually has lovely steering that is only spoiled by the artificial feel induced by LKA.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Things have changed since 2017. Manufacturers now get a higher NCAP safety rating if lane keep assist can't be permanently disabled. You just have to get used to turning it off every time.

·
Registered
2017 Sportage GT Line S - 1.6T DCT
445 Posts
Hmmm.... another reason I'm glad I selected a 2017 model! I did actively seek out the 2017 as I specifically didn't want active cruise control or the black leather interior on my GT Line S, but I didn't realise I'd also inadvertently avoided pitfalls such as inability to disable lane assist! Phew!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Sorry yip it’s a 2021 jbl black
I had a 2016 GT line before and had that turned off
i recon it’s more dangerous
some of the roads I drive get narrow in places with dodgy parking
so have to sometimes go over the central line
its nearly pushed me in to parked cars twice now
I’d rather it was off full time
Yes completely agree. It’s fine (most of the time) on motorways etc where there are clear lines on wider roads. However, I had the issue on narrower roads with sometimes only the one line and the other side was a hedge lining the road. The system kept adjusting my steering trying to turn me into the hedge because the camera is only looking at the white lines and trying to stay in between.
Luckily on my 69 plate, there is a physical button next to blind spot button and headlamp adjust etc where you can switch off or switch on. If it’s switched off it doesn’t come back on until you press the button again.

I do like it on motorways as it aids the steering etc but just find on narrower roads especially that it can be too eager to pull you across the road when you actually need to be almost on the line to stay on the road.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The lane keep assist can be turned off by pressing and holding the relevant button down for three seconds. Unfortunately it does not default to last used setting on an engine cold start, but defaults to 'on' on current cars, just like the engine start/stop system.
I have the latest Sorento and you can change the active steering nudging to only a tone by delving into the menu, but that once again defaults back to nudging the steering on a cold start, so is not worth doing. I just switch the stop/start and lane keep assist off after switching the engine on, which is a bit of a nuisance but not half the nuisance of having these things operational on rural A and B roads.

·
Super Moderator
5,403 Posts
Yes completely agree. It’s fine (most of the time) on motorways etc where there are clear lines on wider roads. However, I had the issue on narrower roads with sometimes only the one line and the other side was a hedge lining the road. The system kept adjusting my steering trying to turn me into the hedge because the camera is only looking at the white lines and trying to stay in between.
On mine if it only picks up one line it will not work. So on narrow lanes or dirty lines, it simply does not work.
Maybe they have altered the software? As the dash shows White \ / & Green \ / when white it will not work, green it will beep and try to steer, unless you indicate.

Reactions: Radiorail

·
Registered
642 Posts
On mine if it only picks up one line it will not work. So on narrow lanes or dirty lines, it simply does not work.
Maybe they have altered the software? As the dash shows White \ / & Green \ / when white it will not work, green it will beep and try to steer, unless you indicate.
What year is yours? Mine def works whether there is 1 line or 2 lines. If one line on the right of driver, the car will always try and keep it so far to the left of the white line. When you try and steer you can feel the steering wheel fighting you. So I just turn off in those scenarios. But on motorways it’s better but to be honest I’m still not massively keen on it and most of the time now it’s left off.

·
Super Moderator
5,403 Posts
2020 Niro (y)

Reactions: Daveyboy123

·
Registered
3 Posts

YouTube Sportage Permanently Disable Lane Assist

·
Registered
Sportage 2017 (67) 1.7 crdi manual
264 Posts
I dont use it. I learned how to drive so I'm pretty decent at staying in my lane and have been for the past 20 years 😂 although I do wish the I telling stop start could be turned off permanently.rather than me having to turn it off manually every time I get in the car

·
Registered
3 Posts
I dont use it. I learned how to drive so I'm pretty decent at staying in my lane and have been for the past 20 years 😂 although I do wish the I telling stop start could be turned off permanently.rather than me having to turn it off manually every time I get in the car
You can do it exactly the same as the video to turn off lane assist just tested it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts