Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bizarre though it seems, its not straighforward putting postcodes into the Sat Nav unit. KIA have actually had to send me instructions which aren't in the manual so I've copied the pictures for you all.

Please KIA get your act together and update both the head units software, firmware and maps.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just tested and yes it does work, HOWEVER, it doesn't take anything beyond the 4th letter of the postcode!

As it states you have to type in the street manually after which takes time and isn't effective.

Please KIA update this to allow 5, 6 and 7th digits to be plugged in without all the hassle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is a feature on after market tom toms garmins etc... my boss's BMW doesnt do postcodes, and nor does another A6 sat nav...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello mate, your pictures have disappeared.

I would like to know how to input postcodes, can you update the post again?

Thanks in advance.

Rols.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll see if I can dig them out but basically instead of entering the city name, you type the first 4 didits of the postcode eg EC1A. Then it gives you a list of the streets by name and you pick the one you want and enter the number of the address.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Even my local dealer told me "Don't waste your money on the SatNav version -the Sat Nav system isuseless, Kia have another problem on their hands with this and we are fed up with the number of customers complaing about it - and other minor niggles" I was amazed, and interested in the bit about " . . . and other minor niggles" . . . hat are they and how many are there? mmmm a bit disturbing?!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Or maybe they want to sell you a car but don't want to let you leave knowing you've a few months wait...in which time you could cancel and go elsewhere.... Hense trying to sell you another model. Really don't see what the problem is unless you can't spell? A postcodes worthless without a house/building number anyway. Like I wrote on a previous thread.. I imputed "1 school lane" it found the correct place in the correct county strait away...how may of school lanes must there be in the uk?. So there's no need for a full post code. You can't post a letter with only a post code so why try find a place with only half the information needed. Edited by: RichieD76

·
Registered
34 Posts
Some addresses are a pain to find without postcodes. I sometimes hate my Merc, ( Soon to be a ProCeed 4 ), satnav because of the lack of postcodes.
Try to find Crealy Great Adventure park using just the address.
<address>Crealy Great Adventure Park</address><address>Tredinnick</address><address>Wadebridge</address><address>Cornwall</address><address>PL27 7RA

Notice the lack of a street name in the address.
Look on google maps to see where Tredinnick is located and see how far from the park it is.

I found this quite a lot in Cornwall. My Tomtom, on the other hand, was brilliant with its postcodes and would easily guide me too within yards of the address.

</address>

·
Registered
536 Posts
Oh if you get that situation the first bit of the postcode then click point of interests. Will bring it up easy. That's one thing I will say is good about the satnav.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My brain is going to explode with all these, useful, little titbits I am storing upstairs in the old noggin.
No doubt I will be searching on here again early next year after I get my new Kia.

·
Registered
536 Posts
says me who can get my phone synced to my car but can never put my bluetooth on, on my phone!

·
Registered
448 Posts
HGF69 said:
Just tested and yes it does work, HOWEVER, it doesn't take anything beyond the 4th letter of the postcode!

As it states you have to type in the street manually after which takes time and isn't effective.

Please KIA update this to allow 5, 6 and 7th digits to be plugged in without all the hassle.
HGF69 could you please let me know how to input the post code search, many thanks Brian

·
Registered
448 Posts
so is the consenus that the sat nav isnt as bad as some people are suggesting and that having part of the post code is still acceptable and it can handle the search with only part in different ways anyway.Can we focus on good points of the unit?

·
Registered
413 Posts
I travel about a fair bit with work and have never had any problems using the sat nav. The latest update to Traffic info was welcome. The post code issue is really a non issue.... how many people looking for an address only know the post code? all you need to do is a couple of extra prods and the whole address can very quickly be added. Most other built in systems work in the same way (BMW etc)The built in unit is generally excellent, the camera, the superior sound quality all make it a worthy upgrade from the standard set up.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Simply not true. Many business give the full postcode specifically for satnavs. All the aftermarket units have a six digit post code and its a lot more than a couple of prods. I had a 2009 VW Scirocco and that had a 6 digit code and the 510 unit is standard across the VW Audi group range. Like I say my Skoda has a six digi post code. Anyone who thinks that paying £1000-1500 for a system that has 20% of the functionality of a £100 Garmin unit must be barking. The only saving grace is that it only has a 2-3 year warranty after which hopefully it will break and ill replace it with an aftermarket unit. There are plenty available that have a better screen, a TV tuner,DAB, cameras and better Bluetooth etc. I would advise buying the none sat nav version if it weren't for the fact that the GPS aerial and camera wiring etc are already there making a later upgrade much easier and cheaper. Aftermarket units that cost £500 are much much better.

I should add that the VW nav didn't come originally with the full postcode but an update came that included it. It also made it much quicker so it is possible for KIA to do it, just not sure why its taking so long. Perhaps when sales die down they'll add it as an extra incentive. Others posts suggest there's a Sportage shortage so I guess they don't want to make it too good generating orders it can't fulfill.
Edited by: p111dom

·
Registered
448 Posts
hopefully if we generate enough complaints about the lack of certain things like safety camera alerts, full post code search, tmcthen Kia customer services may end up putting it in an upgrade.I spoke to Kia customer services earlier today asking them about this and also pointing out that due to customer feedback and opinion they have introduced many of thoseitems in the new cee'd.
They couldnt say if there would be such an upgrade for the sportage.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I use the advanced GPS input for entering destinations, but that requires getting the latitude and longitude co-ordinates, in degrees, minutes and seconds.

Sounds complicated doesn't it, but you'll be amazed how easy it is.

Go here,

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/gridconvert.html

<ul>[*]Enter yourpostcode(making sure postcode is selected)[*]Click convert[*]Enter the lat/long coordinates into your sat nav, and away you go.[/list]

The best thing, is this site works very nicely on a mobile phone, so you don't need to be stuck in front of a PC.

Until an update to the sat nav allows full postcode entry, this is the best alternative I've found.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts