Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This can be done without undoing the engine mounts. Sorry no photos but I did this out of necessity.
You will need:
10, 12, 14, 17 and 19mm spanners, sockets and extension bars. You will need Various screwdrivers and pliers. A magnetic catch tray will help. I also had a set of 90 degree ring spanners to hand as access is severely limited.

In the engine bay:
Use a bungee cord to pull the top hose to one side.
Disconnect the wiring loom multiplug
Disconnect and cap off the small rad hose return feed.
Now pull off the two hoses from the alter alternator pump. ( you may need to remove the intercooler)
Use a 14mm socket to undo the top bolt. You can just about slide this out but leave it in until you release the auxiliary drive belt.

Now jack up the car and remove the splash guards and wheel. Using a 19mm shallow socket or hooked ring spanner, release the tensioner and slip off the belt. You can now do the top bolt.
Underneath the car, undo the PAS bolts on the pump. Then release the bracket (2x 14mm bolts and one 17mm) use a Bungee to hold it aside.
Release the lower alternator bolt. Leaver it out of the way and use a bungee to hold it from above. Unscrew the oil feed hose. Don't lose the two copper washers (14mm)
Now unscrew the alternator bracket. Don't let it fall, it's alloy and fragile. I had to release the top bolt from the top of the engine bay.
You should now be able to lower the alternator down. You will have to work it around the lower heater hose.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Goonv8 said:
This can be done without undoing the engine mounts. Sorry no photos but I did this out of necessity.
You will need:
10, 12, 14, 17 and 19mm spanners, sockets and extension bars. You will need Various screwdrivers and pliers. A magnetic catch tray will help. I also had a set of 90 degree ring spanners to hand as access is severely limited.

In the engine bay:
Use a bungee cord to pull the top hose to one side.
Disconnect the wiring loom multiplug
Disconnect and cap off the small rad hose return feed.
Now pull off the two hoses from the alter alternator pump. ( you may need to remove the intercooler)
Use a 14mm socket to undo the top bolt. You can just about slide this out but leave it in until you release the auxiliary drive belt.

Now jack up the car and remove the splash guards and wheel. Using a 19mm shallow socket or hooked ring spanner, release the tensioner and slip off the belt. You can now do the top bolt.
Underneath the car, undo the PAS bolts on the pump. Then release the bracket (2x 14mm bolts and one 17mm) use a Bungee to hold it aside.
Release the lower alternator bolt. Leaver it out of the way and use a bungee to hold it from above. Unscrew the oil feed hose. Don't lose the two copper washers (14mm)
Now unscrew the alternator bracket. Don't let it fall, it's alloy and fragile. I had to release the top bolt from the top of the engine bay.
You should now be able to lower the alternator down. You will have to work it around the lower heater hose.
Hi Thanks for the write up it will be a big help , but I,m just curious as to who told you had to remove the engine mount to do it? I 've done a few of these before more or less how you,ve described and never found the engine mount to be in the way as most of it is done through the lower inner wing or underneath as you describe. I'm like you with regard to photos I always seem to have alot less time than needed to do these jobs so just rush through it and think of photos later.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Should I tell them about the scraped arms and knuckles Bruno?
Access is severely limited in this job.Edited by: Goonv8

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Btw. Auxiliary belt routing: crank, water pump, under follower, alternator, Pas pump, tensioner, crank.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Goonv8 said:
Should I tell them about the scraped arms and knuckles Bruno?
Access is severely limited in this job.
Naw let them find out for theirselves it's more fun that way
. It had to be designed by a computer with the lack of space access etc if the front end had been made 4 inch longer it would have made life so much esier for us

1 - 5 of 5 Posts