Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I’m after some personal feedback from fellow Kia owners, as you can see from my details below I am the proud owner of a Picanto now nearly four years old.

I don’t know a lot about the “black magic” that is TPMS, but I do know there is a battery that works the sensor installed inside the alloy wheel / tyre, and like all things battery powered one day they “die”.

Just had an interesting chat with a contact at my local dealership, who said – no official lifespan of batteries, some last 4 years, others 10+ years.

Now the point about the thread heading, with my Picanto for Kia to remove the tyre, change sensor battery, refit and rebalance tyre and reprogramme the sensor would be £124.79 at today's price, that's for each one, not for all four!

So as a fun Christmas time site survey, can you please tell me the longest your sensors went before needing battery replacement, I’m looking for tales of people similar to those still using a light bulb fitted at the time the Titanic sailed (an actual story I read online-so it must be true!)

Thanking in advance anybody who replies or takes part in my “fun only” owners survey!

Take care.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Ex Kia owner. Do I still count?

I bought my 2008 Mazda 6 and the Sensors were in the Glovebox. Broken Valve Stems.
Bought some new Valves (£1-£2 each on Ebay)
Cut the Silicon on the back of each TMPS Module to expose the Battery. Soldered in new CR2450 Batteries and refilled with Silicon.
About £25 plus my Time.
Had them fitted when I needed Tyres and has been good for 2+ Years.
System is not great. It tells me when there is a problem but not where.
Saw a Post elsewhere about someone doing the same on a Lexus which inspired me to have a go.

Not for everyone but quite doable.
Or Aftermarket Sensors

·
Banned
5,227 Posts
Well of course KIA would be fitting entirely new sensors, not just replacing the battery. The advice from KCS on here some tme ago was that they should last about 10 years but it will depend on mileage (the sensors only produce a signal when the wheel is rotating). I predict there will be plenty of aftermarket enterprises doing battery replacements as the market matures.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Hi Guys,
I’m after some personal feedback from fellow Kia owners, as you can see from my details below I am the proud owner of a Picanto now nearly four years old.

I don’t know a lot about the “black magic” that is TPMS, but I do know there is a battery that works the sensor installed inside the alloy wheel / tyre, and like all things battery powered one day they “die”.

Just had an interesting chat with a contact at my local dealership, who said – no official lifespan of batteries, some last 4 years, others 10+ years.

Now the point about the thread heading, with my Picanto for Kia to remove the tyre, change sensor battery, refit and rebalance tyre and reprogramme the sensor would be £124.79 at today's price, that's for each one, not for all four!

So as a fun Christmas time site survey, can you please tell me the longest your sensors went before needing battery replacement, I’m looking for tales of people similar to those still using a light bulb fitted at the time the Titanic sailed (an actual story I read online-so it must be true!)

Thanking in advance anybody who replies or takes part in my “fun only” owners survey!

Take care.
I would check the type of tyre valves you have fitted.:unsure: Our Picanto X line has the basic TMPS system that throws a warning light if low pressure is detected. (system measures wheel revolutions, no individual wheel sensors or batteries needed)
Our Sportage does have a valve in each wheel which measure actual individual tyre pressure, batteries have lasted 3 years so far.😂

·
Registered
35 Posts
or just use new sensors bought from aliexpress
When I had a Vauxhall Ampera (MY2012) I bought some spare sensors from aliexpress just in case. One sensor failed - so I replaced it using one of the spares. It worked, displaying as normal after a few miles. A friend bought the car from me, and the remaining spare sensors, and the replacement hasn't failed yet.
Kia want £200 for a set of sensors for my car. $35 (or similar) off aliexpress and they work when I swapped the wheels for winter wheels and tyres

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.