Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,Does anyone who has a rearview camera understand how it is supposed to be used?
The manual isn't very helpful. I assume the green rectangle is the approximate footprint
of the car.

·
Registered
71 Posts
j5surferdude said:
Hi,Does anyone who has a rearview camera understand how it is supposed to be used?
The manual isn't very helpful. I assume the green rectangle is the approximate footprint
of the car.

Hi

I have the same camera. The green/yellow/red boxes are just indicators of how close you are to an object. The corners of the green box do seem to be in line with the corners of the car.

Hope this helps, if not let me know.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Gummi,I had a particularly nasty experience on the first night I drove it trying to reverse
parallel park at night in the rain, couldn't see anything out of the rear.
All I could see on the camera was the green box. I guess these things will become easier
the more I get used to the cars dimensions.

·
Registered
499 Posts
If you look below the red line you will see a black line going right across thats your rear bumper.
I think the camera should be fitted in side the rear window so when you clean window you can still see. I'm forever cleaning the camera where it is fitted.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You'll soon get used to using it. I personally love it when reverse parking in somewhere like the supermarket car park. Being able to see the edge of the bumper and using in conjunction with the reserve parking sensors (i had the sensors thrown in as part of my deal cause im greedy lol), it makes parking a breeze.

I can honestly say that having both is definitely worthwhile, and me and the wife both agree that reverse parking would be much more difficult if we didnt have the sensors as well as the camera. I think that Kia should have sold them as a reversing package rather make each unique to the edition.

I dont have to clean my camera very often at all, ive had to clean ice/mud off the sensors more than i have had to clean the camera.

Chrispy, didnt notice that your in Peterborough also. Ive see a blue soul driving about as well as a burner, any of these you? I think ive also seen a dark green? and a vanilla about too but only seen them once.

Ive seen the burner quite a lot as i go past it when going to my parents and the blue one seems to be pretty local to where i live.

Edited by: gummibear1986

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
The camera isnt very good. Your newer one is better than the older one which hasnt got the lines and is more fisheyed i believe. Its only real benefit is for checking low down behind the car and reversing accurately up to a wall. Its particularly useless in unlit areas cos the Souls reversing lights are pretty weak. Sensors are a far better proposition.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I don't have any problem with the camera at night.

Hi Gummibear, I have a silver Tempest

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I don't have any problem with the camera though mine is the first type, we have a bit more light at night than you do Tempest I think,we have street lights ! I have got used to wiping the lens when I go behind the car now as a habit to make sure that its clean. I would like to see the new type with the lines though I have got used to mine now and I can park up to 1" from the car behind with now problems and I now where the side finishes even though it is a fisheye type as Tempest says.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Chrispy1 said:
I don't have any problem with the camera at night.

Hi Gummibear, I have a silver Tempest

Neither to do i, i think the camera is actually pretty good at night.

I'll keep any eye out, havent seen a tempest about.

Mines a chocolate shaker if you ever see me about.

Edited by: gummibear1986

·
Registered
161 Posts
my only complaint is i dont have any parking aids on my 2 crdi.one of the worst cars ive had trying to reverse.will def get parking sensors fitted in near future

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
one of the guys on here was looking at a reversing system that didnt require sensors drilling into the bumper.... i think it fitted behind it. TempesTony - if you are about, tell us more.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Dave R said:
I don't have any problem with the camera though mine is the first type, we have a bit more light at night than you do Tempest I think,we have street lights ! I have got used to wiping the lens when I go behind the car now as a habit to make sure that its clean. I would like to see the new type with the lines though I have got used to mine now and I can park up to 1" from the car behind with now problems and I now where the side finishes even though it is a fisheye type as Tempest says.
You are right actually.... with no street lights its terrible. But in the recent snowy spell, the snow covered roads reflected the light about and it was usable at night. And yes - i can judge to the inch directly behind me, but cant understand what i am looking at at the sides cos of the distortion. The issue i have with the distortion is that as you reverse up to something...... the distortion makes it speed up as you close in.... its caught me out a couple of times where i have suddenly been closer to something than i realised.

I actually have bought some sensors to fit myself, but i cant face drilling holes in the car...... no doubt i will fit them straight after i hit something.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
one of the USA owners has fitted a camera up inside the rear window and stuck it on the underside of the rear middle brake light..... it then gets cleaned by the rear window wiper and will give more of a birds eye view, but i doubt you can see the trailing edge of the top of the rear bumper. Might have a play with mine in the summer months and see what i can do. What sort of wiring would it have for the image?.... fibre optics?... or something that can be cut and rejoined?.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, it was just abit of clear plastic film to protect it from scratches in transit.I left it on originally because you couldn't really see it however I noticed that it was
causing the edges of the camera to blur where water was condesing between the film
and the lense. I dont believe that this film was supposed to be left on for everyday
use - but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
ok will let you know....will go out at lunchtime and see. My camera is really useless.... maybe this is the answer!!!...lol

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Nope - no film on it....just a crusty layer of salt.... i reckon its just the lighting and road conditions i drive in...... the downside to living in the sticks..... never mind.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts