Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Kia Sportage, which has a Locking Nut on each wheel. Unfortunately, I do not have the Key. Does anyone have experience with removing such Locking Nuts, without the Key, and able to recommend the best option? Is my best approach along the lines of this YouTube video or maybe I am able to purchase the relevant Key somewhere?

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
I believe that Halfords sell various tools for removing locking nuts but I have no personal experience. It looks like a really nasty job so I would probably get a pro to do it. If you can identify the maker of the nuts it's worth a try to ask them if they can help but I am doubtful. Remember that you will need to fit new nuts if you do get the old ones off.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Last year a similar thing happened with my Mercury Mariner in the USA, I took it to the local garage and they had what looked like a large socket with spirals inside which went over the lug nut and as they turned it anti clockwise the socket dug into the smooth lug nut and released the nut. Ok I had to go to AutoZone and get a new nut but hyho that's life.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have a Kia Sportage, which has a Locking Nut on each wheel. Unfortunately, I do not have the Key. Does anyone have experience with removing such Locking Nuts, without the Key, and able to recommend the best option? Is my best approach along the lines of this YouTube video or maybe I am able to purchase the relevant Key somewhere?
There’s locking nut removal kits on eBay from about £15

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all, for your response. I guess I will stick with my original thoughts and hammer a 19mm Socket, over the Nut, and then use a Breaker Bar to try and screw it off. I have a regular DIY kind of hammer. Could I simply place block, over the Socket and Nut, then hammer with this DIY Hammer or should a larger Sledge type hammer be used ideally?

Currently awaiting for delivery of the Breaker Bar but will let you all know how I get on.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Have you got the key number, mine is with all my manuals, if so you could probably get a new key from the dealers.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I opted to use a Breaker Bar and an 18mm Socket. Getting the Socket on the Locking Nut was a little fiddly, as was hammering the Nut back out of the Socket. Other than that, a fairly straight forward task.

Thanks all, for the advice ... In particular @camac :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts