Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With so little driving during lockdown I tried pulling up the memory fuse to reduce battery drain. Having done that, the central locking did not work. How can I overcome this ?

·
Banned
5,229 Posts
Pulling tha fuse takes power off the central locking - if you coud lock your car how would you unlock it? It will also stop the alarm and I expect your insurer will not be pleased about that

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Reverse the procedure and use the car fairly often. Otherwise, if you are able to park off-road, then putting the battery on charge using a smart charger for 24-48 hours as often as you think may be required is the best way to protect the battery through the smart conditioning process.

·
Banned
5,229 Posts
lock it manually from inside, use key to lock drivers door

Good idea.

I suspect that this will not double lock the doors so there is another potential insurance issue. That said who's going to nick a car which will not start?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your replies.
I don't think insurance relies on having an alarm unless, perhaps, you have gained an extra reduction for it. I imagine the immobiliser will still work, as that is associated with a particular key.
I have yet to investigate the manual locking but can cope with the other suggestions, except when we leave it to go on holiday.
All that said, Kia offer this as a battery saving facility, so it seems strange that it is not more practical to use.

·
Banned
5,229 Posts
The facility is for factory shipping or extended periods of non-use, but I suspect it is intended for use within secure storage.

The car will anyway not start with that fuse pulled and I canlt imagine a scrote furtling about to identify the problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I can do that but the handbook seemed to imply that the memory fuse was an easier alternative. I'm still getting used to the idiosyncrasies of Kia.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts