Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 55 plate sorento sx auto. The 4x4 switch has 3 settings, top = auto. middle = 4x4. bottom = low. I cannot turn theswitch to auto, only low. Does this mean that auto is not an option on my model?

·
Registered
887 Posts
Is yours an XS?
Switch only has 2 positions, turned fully anti clockwise will be auto mode, this will select 4wd when required automatically.
Turn it clockwise you will engage 4wd low ratio.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks murphwiz,

Mine is an XS, touch of the old dyslexia I fear. when turning anti clockwise the knob will not move from the 4x4 mark to the auto positionis this normal?

·
Registered
887 Posts
yes, it's not labelled very well, 4x4/auto is position 1, then you can turn it to 4x4low, thats the only options you get.
You have the TOD (torque on demand) system, in auto mode if it detects rear wheel slippage it engages the front wheel to help out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi this post interests me due to the weather recently, i too was a little confused about the auto selection and still am to be honest
. When in the auto position would i be right in thinking the car is operating in just rear wheel drive? and if needed like just now when trying to drive or get grip in 5 inches of snow the auto system kicks in to provide front wheel drive as well. If this is right should there not be a visible light on the dash displayed when the 4 wheel drive is operating, as i see there is a green light there when i switch the ignition on (looks like a chasis with four wheels). But this never comes on at all when i am driving on ice, snow or up hill,and i have tried my best to try and make it come on. So if no light is visible surely i'm not using 4 wheel drive or something is broken.

·
Registered
887 Posts
In auto mode: Rear wheel drive unless slip to rear is detected, then system engages front wheels up to a 50/50 torque split, there is no light to tell you this is happening, it just happens, you didn't get stuck in the snow, so reasonably safe to assume it's working as it should, as they can be a little tail happy in 2wd.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Yes, new version is front wheel drive with TOD 4x4 system operating the rear wheels as required..
Plus lots of other gadgets to help!

·
Registered
10 Posts
thanks murphwiz for the explanation good to know that nothing seems to be broken, as it does drive fine in the snow, just curious as what the green light on the dash is for as it never comes on. this is the one that looks like a chasis (kind of) with the four wheels. any ideas as the handbook doesnt explain it

thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
HELLO, IF U HAVE GOT THE XS MODEL, THE GREEN LIGHT REFERS TO IT RUNNING A CHECKS ON THE CAR, THE CAR IS PERMANENTLYRUNNING IN 4 WHEEL DRIVE, IF U WANT TO SELECT LOW RATIO ON THE BOX, PUT THE CAR INNEUTRAL, HOLD YOUR FOOT ON THE BRAKE, THEN TURN THE ROCKER SWITCH, GIVE IT A COUPLE OS SECONDS AND U WILL HEAR A CLUNK.....THIS WILL BE THE DRIVESWITCHING TO LOW( THIS IS NORMAL )

REMEMBER THIS ALTERS ALL THE TORQUE SETTING FOR DEEP SNOW AND NEEDING LOW DOWN GRUNT, YOU WILL BE LIMITED TO AROUND 20-25 MPH
HOPE THIS HELPS.

PS. DO THE SAME PROCESS AS BEFORE TO GO BACK TO 4X4 NORMAL RATIO.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Just to clarify, the car isn't permanent 4wd, it doesn't have a centre diff as per land rovers.
It is primarily running 2wd, but has a active torque on demand transfer box, when rear wheel slippage is detected the transfer box clutches are engaged to allow drive to the front, up to 50/50 split.
Engaging low ratio locks it into 4wd, with low ratio gears, hence the speed limitation, I'd recommend having it in neutral and hovering the brake pedal when doing a range change, allows the drivetrain to turn to get gears aligned, much kinder on the transmission.

·
Registered
10 Posts
thanks for the replies, so the little green light is not there to tell you 4 wheel drive is engaged its more of a test when you switch the ignition on or have i got that wrong? seems strange that when i select 4x4 low the lights are on permanantly but in auto there is nothing to tell you your in 4x4 mode. whats the point of the having the light at all if its doing nothing.

what i have noticed is that according to the hand book some mosels are equiped with another option called 4x4hi and this light is then displayed. could it be a case that the xs model in auto mode has nothing to do with thissymbol on the dash asthe xs doesnt have the 4x4hi option.

just a thought

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I'm new to this and hope someone can help.
I have a 55 xs manual and when I try to put it into 4x4 low it dosen't seem to work,the green light on the dash comes on and the transmission/gear ratio seems to change but it doesn't seem to go into 4x4 as the front wheels do not seem to drive,the back end looses control and spins,in the manual that comes with the car it says you should hear a mechanical noise as the 4x4 locks in,I don't hear this.

Can't help but wonder if I am doing somthing wrong but I have heard a the same reports as the problems I am having.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts