Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience of problems starting their Stinger in very hot weather?

i had an instance last year and twice last week of after a run in high ambient over 25 deg c parking the car in direct sunlight the car wouldn't start? there was a tremendous amount of heat under the bonnet, after leaving the bonnet open for half an hour or so car starts.
RAC assist called out twice, no fault codes present and dealer couldnt find fault codes the first tiime but the RAC tech had disconnected and reconnected the battery.

Water and oil temperatures are normal, after a run the car's bonnet and engine bay are cool, but if its left there is a tremendous amount of heat soak from turbos and engine block , exhaust temp and the under bonnet temp escalates.

We have noticed that the cooling fans don't "run on" after the engine is stopped should they ?

Car is going to dealer on Monday and I've told them I'm not having it back until they find something. could be an electronic component " breaking down" under extreme heat or a poor joint in a circuit or maybe the cooling fans should run on.

Anyone else any experience of this fault or similar?

·
Registered
66 Posts
No problem with mine last week and temperatures higher than 25.
UK summer temperatures are no where hot enough to cause a general problem, so you must have a specific issue (battery?).

For me, even after long journeys in hot temperatures, fans do not seem to run for too long after turning off ignition.

Hope you get it sorted quickly.

·
Registered
160 Posts
No problems here. It hit 27 last Friday and car ran fine.

Like you said, lots of electronics in this day and age. Only takes one electronic box to be temperamental to do something like this. Could be very hard to diagnose too.

Hope it gets sorted quickly.

·
Registered
873 Posts
“Car is going to dealer on Monday and I've told them I'm not having it back until they find something.” Understand your frustration Bryno, but if I had said that to my dealer every time it went wrong I would not have ever seen my GT again, but perhaps that would have not been such a bad thing.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'm afraid I had a VW UP! loaner on the really hot day last Sat so I can't comment on the stinger. There are lots of these cars in the Oz though and from the other Forum, I don't remember this issue cropped up there.

Hopefully it was a one-off. If it happens again, fingers crossed something gets logged on the computer because like Dan says, could be hard to identify otherwise.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update on the issue is: some fault codes were found and after some discussion with Kia technical, the the probable cause is a faulty immobiliser module. My local dealer ( Marshall Ipswich) has ordered one but as I speak we don't have a delivery date which means I will have a few more days sampling the "delights" of a Picanto. I do hope that this solves the issue the only glitch in an otherwise excellent and rare car.
I'll update you with any feedback as when I get the car back I'll be parking it in direct sunlight on 25deg+ days to see if it's cured.

I have only seen one other grey Stinger on the road here in Suffolk although at the moment here in Aldeburgh we have 2 black Diesel 19 plate Stingers parked, both seem to be registered to Kia UK and both have stickers near the infotainment screen about not sticking anything to the screen and also big diesel/gazole stickers by the fuel filler, press or Kia employee cars?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Immobiliser module changed some weeks back and since then in the heatwave no occurrence of the problem. The item has been sent to the manufacturer for investigation, if there is any feedback I’ll let you know.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone have any experience of problems starting their Stinger in very hot weather?

i had an instance last year and twice last week of after a run in high ambient over 25 deg c parking the car in direct sunlight the car wouldn't start? there was a tremendous amount of heat under the bonnet, after leaving the bonnet open for half an hour or so car starts.
RAC assist called out twice, no fault codes present and dealer couldnt find fault codes the first tiime but the RAC tech had disconnected and reconnected the battery.

Water and oil temperatures are normal, after a run the car's bonnet and engine bay are cool, but if its left there is a tremendous amount of heat soak from turbos and engine block , exhaust temp and the under bonnet temp escalates.

We have noticed that the cooling fans don't "run on" after the engine is stopped should they ?

Car is going to dealer on Monday and I've told them I'm not having it back until they find something. could be an electronic component " breaking down" under extreme heat or a poor joint in a circuit or maybe the cooling fans should run on.

Anyone else any experience of this fault or similar?
Bit pissed off today first time the car has been out in hot sun in 2020 23 deg and sunny left it parked in sun for 4 hours Fromm 11-3 and guess what it wouldn’t bloody start, kept bonnet open to let any heat out and get some breeze through there. eventually started at 4-15. It’s going in tomorrow for S5 so I hope some fault code shows up but they will have to have it till they find a fault and fix it (8 days last time) but obviously it wasn’t what they thought. After today’s performance I think it’s fuel related cos if it cools off a bit it fires and the just spins on the starter as fuel/ spark stops.its black and the under bonnet heat after a few hours in the sun is horrendous but crikey the Aussie cops run them and it’s the only one I know exhibiting the fault. It’s unacceptable and the only glitch in a fab car. I’ll keep you posted

·
Registered
64 Posts
Don't think it is temperature related because all summer here we were in temperatures of low to mid 30 and no trouble with starting my car at all

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't think it is temperature related because all summer here we were in temperatures of low to mid 30 and no trouble with starting my car at all
Exactly which is what I tell the dealer no other 3.3 has shown this fault including hot countries like Oz, however this particular car shows this problem when parked in direct strong sun on the bonnet or when the ambient goes above 30degC plus. It’s going in on the 15th, I’ve got a loan car for however long it takes to sort out, so annoying this fault mars the ownership experience.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hope they can sort it out soon for you. These problems are sometimes hard to replicate when you want to, and dealers are quick to tell you it would not do it whist they had the car.
Good Luck with it, besides this hiccup I am sure you were happy with the car otherwise

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hope they can sort it out soon for you. These problems are sometimes hard to replicate when you want to, and dealers are quick to tell you it would not do it whist they had the car.
Good Luck with it, besides this hiccup I am sure you were happy with the car otherwise
As I write my Kia has had the car for nearly 3 weeks I have a Sorrento as a loan car. A lot of investigation during the 1st week so I implored them to reproduce the conditions where the fault occurs which they did on a hot sunny day. Bingo fault occurred, lots of data back and forth with a Kia including Technical in Germany. They now want to check something when the fault occurs but so far it hasn’t been hot/sunny enough to replicate which is frustrating as weather forecast doesn’t look good enough to replicate the fault just yet. Can’t really fault the dealership but I feel Kia Tech need to get their finger out, so bit down. I’ll keep you all posted but this a unique fault to my otherwise brilliant car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts