Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2019 Sportage 4 Petrol.
I wonder if anyone could tell me if when they have the sunroof open, even though everything is turned off, I still have hot air coming out of the internal air vents?
I have only just got in, so haven't had a chance to try it with the sunroof closed as yet, but I thought I would ask anyway, just in case it has happened to anyone else.
Thanks.

Super Moderator
Hot air rises. So you open the sunroof the hot air in the car goes out. So air has to be drawn in to replace this air. Only way in a closed car would be through the vents, which of course will be hot/warm due to the ambient temperature.

Other option is the A/C is on, so has a set temp & car is in ACC mode. Thus again air will be pulled through the vents.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hot air rises. So you open the sunroof the hot air in the car goes out. So air has to be drawn in to replace this air. Only way in a closed car would be through the vents, which of course will be hot/warm due to the ambient temperature.

Other option is the A/C is on, so has a set temp & car is in ACC mode. Thus again air will be pulled through the vents.
Just been out in the car with the roof closed.
EVERYTHING turned off, I have always had the temp set to 21, again, even though everything is turned off, I still get warm air.
If I turn the temp control up to full, the air gets hotter, if I then turn it down to 0 (cold) the temp drops, again, WITH EVERYTHING SWITCHED OFF.
It's as if, although everything is turned off, the temp is still being controlled by the knob as if it is turned on.
This only started last wednesday.
I might give my dealership a ring on Tuesday to have a look.

Registered
As iooi says the air has to to come in from somewhere...plus are you ignoring the evaporation effect?

the air in the vents will FEEL warming if you have high energy 'cooler' air coming in via a sunroof or window as it will evaporate moisture from your skin quicker., even if those air streams are the same temperature.
If you are still unsure i would suggest a temperature probe placed in the vent with the sunroof both open and closed before you visit the dealership.

Super Moderator
Just a though. Wonder if A/C especially if on auto, starts running as soon as you open the door as that does fire up some parts of the system, even though you have not turned key or touched stop/start button.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As iooi says the air has to to come in from somewhere...plus are you ignoring the evaporation effect?

the air in the vents will FEEL warming if you have high energy 'cooler' air coming in via a sunroof or window as it will evaporate moisture from your skin quicker., even if those air streams are the same temperature.
If you are still unsure i would suggest a temperature probe placed in the vent with the sunroof both open and closed before you visit the dealership.
How come it only started last Wednesday?
It happens with the roof is (I went out in the car again to try it) closed, so the roof bit was was just a coincidence, plus the temp control knob works IE turning from full up, to cold when everything is closed, the controls for aircon, etc etc.
I have always kept it on the same temp, winter and summer, as I say, this only started last Wednesday, and again, trying it today with the roof closed.,
I have had the roof open for around three weeks now, on and off, and have never had it.
Again, over the past few years, I have never had it.
I'll see what my dealer has to say, as I need to book it in for the sunroof rattle, Plus a loud clicking on one side when closing, but not opening.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts