Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I have posted on the Introductions forum, but I have one or two questions specific to the model.

I hope that we will be trading our Citroën C4 Picasso in for an HPEV2. The model was chosen because we need to fit a tow hook apart from wanting to go more towards the electric cars. Most straight EVs can't have a hook fitted unless you spend a lot of pennies.

Has anyone any idea how much it costs to fit a hook on this car using the genuine Kia harness. I don't want a spliced in version.

Does it come with a charger or is that an 'extra'?

I would assume in this day and age that I can connect my phone via bluetooth to the car?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is my first time neak a Kia and it's a big investment for us and any ideas would be very welcome.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Can't help what the cost of a tow bar is, sorry, as I was lucky to be able to negotiate the fitting into the cost of the car, instead of buying from an internet seller. If you go into the car builder section of the Kia web site that will tell you how much it costs on a new car. Please be aware that only the new facelift model, post 2020, is allowed to tow. Prior to that they were not Type Approved for towing.

Charger for what?

Yes your phone will connect by Bluetooth.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you LG. The car's OK with the hook as it was only registered in November last. Unfortunately I can't get it included in the price and it is dammed expensive. The reason for the expence I was given --- it has to be fitted by a high voltage qualified electrician :unsure: But then 390v DC is very much a lethal voltage. In fact anything above 50v DC is.

The phone bluetooth? Will that only do the call side of it or are there other services available via it? Something about a GPS type app was mentioned somewhere along the line as the PHEV2 doesn't seem to have GPS fitted. From my confused reading of the Owners Manual everything seems to be via USB? But as an old sod I get confused easily :unsure::unsure:

We should be getting the car next Monday now, complete with the hook and I'm sure there will be more questions? So please try to be patient with me. Thank you for you help and stay safe!

Nearly forgot, After looking at the charger thing I assume that it isn't needed for the plug in hybrids? That the 13 amp sockets are all that's needed? As I said, this is totally new ground for me.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Thank you LG. The car's OK with the hook as it was only registered in November last. Unfortunately I can't get it included in the price and it is dammed expensive. The reason for the expence I was given --- it has to be fitted by a high voltage qualified electrician :unsure: But then 390v DC is very much a lethal voltage. In fact anything above 50v DC is.
To be fair, tow bar fitting on nearly all cars is expensive nowadays, and this is caused in general by the complexities of modern car's electronics with the use of CanBus systems.
My tow bar was allegedly the first one to be fitted in the UK and was overseen by one of the Technical Managers, but it was fitted by the normal garage mechanics. There is no connection to the high voltage system so I don't understand why they are suggesting that. All the connections seem to be on the 12v system only. I think they are telling you porkies!

The phone bluetooth? Will that only do the call side of it or are there other services available via it? Something about a GPS type app was mentioned somewhere along the line as the PHEV2 doesn't seem to have GPS fitted. From my confused reading of the Owners Manual everything seems to be via USB? But as an old sod I get confused easily :unsure::unsure:
My phone gives me the option of all phone calls and allows the music off my phone to play through the radio by Bluetooth, but nothing more. To get anything more it has to be plugged in via the specific USB port and you would have to use the specific Apple system.
A level 2 car doesn't have sat nav so no GPS.

We should be getting the car next Monday now, complete with the hook and I'm sure there will be more questions? So please try to be patient with me. Thank you for you help and stay safe!
The term "hook" is the American version. Over here where we speak proper English it is a tow bar with a tow ball.

Nearly forgot, After looking at the charger thing I assume that it isn't needed for the plug in hybrids? That the 13 amp sockets are all that's needed? As I said, this is totally new ground for me.
There have been other threads here about what you get with the Plug-in Hybrid. I suggest you use the Search facility. I've got a Self Charging as I only have on-street parking.

From my experience so far the Niro makes a good tow car.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your comprehensive reply Llanigraham. That has answered m y questions.

I have found that there is also an app for the Android phone, so that will be the one for me. The bluetooth connection is the same as for my Citroën C4 Picasso by the sounds of it so that isn't a problem. The lack of GPS won't be a problem as I have a TomTom GO6000 and TomTom is the system that both Citroën and Kia cars use.

Calling it a hook was something that I learned to call it when I was in the R.A.F. several lifetimes ago and never called it anything else. Just a bit of slang I suppose. I have to admit that I didn't know it was Yanky ?

I am just looking forward to Monday lunch time now and getting my first drive in it, after we have bought it!

·
Registered
169 Posts
No problem.

Don't know why but I thought you had a iPhone. As you have an android you need to download Android Auto.
To use that in the car you will need a USB lead to connect to the middle connector at the bottom of the dash middle. Be aware that it needs a high quality lead, as many here have found. I've tried 2 I have at home so far and failed to get it to work!

Like you I use a Garmin placed in the bottom corner of the screen. I have sort of hard wired it using a piggy back connector in the fuse box. (Fuse -- in-line cigarette socket -- Garmin). I used the heated steering wheel fuse.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A very good point about the USB lead LG (I hope you don't mind LG as my smelling is aufel :oops: ) as my Motorola Moto G7 Power has a USB C connector and I have a couple of metal braided Synchwire cables. One that will be ideal for the car.

I see that Waze is another GPS type app. Is that any good?

I will have to find a place to put the TomTom, but I've normally managed that in hire cars. I like the TomTom because I can program it without going out to the car and if we are away in a pub (dreams!) that is so much easier to plan the next day. I have Jill's voice on it telling me what and when. I find it so much easier to ignore :rolleyes: I can say that because the Boss, SWMBO, has gone to bed.

I see from your signature that you have a 1972 MG Midget. I spent 2 1/2 years in Singapore in the R.A.F. and I have an earlier version. Mine was a 1946 MGTC, just a very early Midget really, and I loved it. Unfortunately I couldn't bring it back!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I paid about £460 to have the towbar and 13 pin electrics fitted by the Kia supplying dealer. Much to my surprise I found out that they had only connected 8 of the 13 pins, the ones that do the lighting circuits, and did not connect the fridge and battery charging circuits. After much correspondence it turns out that there is no official harness available for those circuits, so be warned.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ta for the heads up 42, but we will only be dragging a trailer. Our days of caravaning are over unfortunately. That's since we went to live in France for 13 years. Back in Blighty now though.

·
Super Moderator
4,314 Posts
Waze is very good. Based on Google maps, but has user interaction. So you can report roadworks, traffic levels etc.

·
Registered
169 Posts
A very good point about the USB lead LG (I hope you don't mind LG as my smelling is aufel :oops: ) as my Motorola Moto G7 Power has a USB C connector and I have a couple of metal braided Synchwire cables. One that will be ideal for the car.

I will have to find a place to put the TomTom, but I've normally managed that in hire cars. I like the TomTom because I can program it without going out to the car and if we are away in a pub (dreams!) that is so much easier to plan the next day. I have Jill's voice on it telling me what and when. I find it so much easier to ignore :rolleyes: I can say that because the Boss, SWMBO, has gone to bed.

I see from your signature that you have a 1972 MG Midget. I spent 2 1/2 years in Singapore in the R.A.F. and I have an earlier version. Mine was a 1946 MGTC, just a very early Midget really, and I loved it. Unfortunately I couldn't bring it back!
LG's fine. Llani is the town I live in, and Graham is my name.

I tried Waze on my MotoC and although it was OK the screen is too small, and since I have the Garmin I just mounted it where I have always mounted sat navs, in the bottom right corner of the screen, as they don't get in the way there, and are easy to wire from the fuse box below. I suppose if you can get it to work with Android Auto it might be OK, but I don't like having the sat nav stuff on a screen low down in the middle of the car.

My Midget:

I paid about £460 to have the towbar and 13 pin electrics fitted by the Kia supplying dealer. Much to my surprise I found out that they had only connected 8 of the 13 pins, the ones that do the lighting circuits, and did not connect the fridge and battery charging circuits. After much correspondence it turns out that there is no official harness available for those circuits, so be warned.
That is becoming increasingly common and to be honest has never caused me a problem. The fridge connection only keeps the fridge temperature constant, so all we do is make sure there are plenty of cold or frozen things in the there, and the amount it puts into the battery is also minimal.

We can manage to drive all the way from here to the Loire, using an overnight crossing and the fridge is still frozen solid when we get there. In Europe owners don't care about it so it is a very British idea, presumably why they don't bother.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ta for the reply on the Waze app. I will se about dumping it down to my phone, but it will be a backup thing. The TomTom is a great bit of kit and it has lifetime map, traffic and camera updates. I have wondered if that's because when they decide that it's time to stop they direct me off a cliff :eek:

Your Midget is slightly lighter colour than mine was, midnight blue, LG. Unfortunately I only have monochrome photos of it though. Good to see that your has proper bumpers on it!

Cars various_0008.jpg

·
Super Moderator
4,314 Posts
Ta for the reply on the Waze app. I will se about dumping it down to my phone, but it will be a backup thing. The TomTom is a great bit of kit and it has lifetime map, traffic and camera updates. I have wondered if that's because when they decide that it's time to stop they direct me off a cliff :eek:
Just remember that Tom Tom lifetime updates, is just till they stop supporting that device.

Seems a bit odd to use a dedicated sat nav, when you have built in options.

I get the point on where built in is situated, but you do soon get used to it & it is not blocking out any of your forward view.

But each to their own. :)

Nero Hev coming here soon :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Just remember that Tom Tom lifetime updates, is just till they stop supporting that device.

Seems a bit odd to use a dedicated sat nav, when you have built in options.

I get the point on where built in is situated, but you do soon get used to it & it is not blocking out any of your forward view.

But each to their own. :)

Nero Hev coming here soon :)
2 level models don't have in-built sat nav.

·
Super Moderator
4,314 Posts
2 level models don't have in-built sat nav.
Get your point. Can't believe that they missed that out.
  • - 8" Touchscreen Display + Radio + DAB
  • - Android Auto™ and Apple CarPlay*
Op has phone. So I would count AA or ACP as built in navigation. :eek: 😃

·
Registered
169 Posts
Despite trying 3 different leads I still haven't been able to get AA to work on my car, plus as I understand it, Waze and it's like need a decent mobile signal and date allowance to work. The former certainly doesn't apply around here and my data allowance is not very big.
The one thing I did want was to be able to display Viewranger as I use OS maps for various things I'm involved in, and I am told that it can't be displayed even if I do get AA to work.
Therefore I'm sticking with my Garmin and VR on my old phone.

·
Super Moderator
4,314 Posts
Despite trying 3 different leads I still haven't been able to get AA to work on my car, plus as I understand it, Waze and it's like need a decent mobile signal and date allowance to work. The former certainly doesn't apply around here and my data allowance is not very big.
The one thing I did want was to be able to display Viewranger as I use OS maps for various things I'm involved in, and I am told that it can't be displayed even if I do get AA to work.
Therefore I'm sticking with my Garmin and VR on my old phone.
Well I use Waze all the time I'm driving. Worst data usage month was when we were on holiday, so more than usual miles & it was just over 1 meg for the month (only away 1 week). Never noticed any issue with mobile signal. Remember maps are already on your phone. So only data is if you highlight a issue. GPS does not use data.

Both Apple and Google are pretty restricted on what apps you can use in their mobile mirroring. Might be something that changes over time.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Lucky you with your mobile signal, Yorkshire must be a lot better than Mid Wales, around here not having anything is quite common.

Reactions: iooi

·
Super Moderator
4,314 Posts
Lucky you with your mobile signal, Yorkshire must be a lot better than Mid Wales, around here not having anything is quite common.
I feel your pain, as a trip into the dales can have the same result.... Sadly not something we can enjoy at the moment.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Crikey folks, quite a lot to take in there. In the C4 I had/have the built in GPS which I used for the larger map with my TomTom giving me the turn by turn detail. I found it very useful. I don't have the TomTom up on the top in the view forward, just down a little. It's only like glancing down at the instruments and I have never had a problem with it.

I've only had my samrtass phone for a few years and now actually know how to switch it on. Quick learner me? So after ewe have picked the car up tomorrow I can spend some time learning how to start it. That shouldn't take more than a few daze?:cautious::cautious: I just hope that the weather is kind to us or I'll have to learn things like the wiper thingies? (only kidding, I think? )

1 - 20 of 69 Posts