Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, gona throw this into the forum at the risk of looking like a total plonker, or some one thats incredible slow. Is the sportage not the exact same chassis as the Mercedes M class?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No seriously. The body lines are near identical, window openings, ride hight about the same and even the wheelbase is identical. I've used an M class for a few months and to be frank they feel the same from the driving seat. bet many people don't know that the Rover 45/400 is the same chassis as the 1998 Honda civic saloon. That the old Vectra is the same as the Saab 9-5. The new vectra chassis is used in a Citroen and Cadillac. Hell the 05 Astra is the same chassis as the hidious Cadillac HHC but you wouldn't even tell from the outside. The 2nd new mini lost the famous z axel rear end that gave it such good handling and switched to a chassis co developed with Suzuki, in the form of the swift, in exchange for a cheaper turbo engine built in a factory part owned by suzuki in Brasil....BMW building engines with Suzuki! Stranger things have happened hey! Hence why I asked if Kia had maybe brought the rights to manufacture the M class chassis under licence....

EDIT.....SORENTO!!! Get them both up on google images..it's as plain as dayEdited by: RichieD76

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I used to work at Rover so, yes, I did know that some of the 80's and virtually all the 90's models... 400, 600, 800 were all based on Hondas.

There is even a Rover/Kia connection as Kia used the Rover KV6 petrol engine in their Sedona.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From the bit of poking about I've done Kia "back in the day" used to use a lot of mazda & ford parts. Yes I know there part of the same complany but still. Also found a rumour on an Australian site that Kia trade in's used to back to the factory and be butchered for parts for cars on the production line! Wouldnt be the first time I've herd this BUT were talking back in the 70's.

·
Registered
124 Posts
If my memory serves me right was the triumph aclaim the honda accord back when rover did a deal withhonda, then crapped on honda and went and did a deal with those lovely people at bmw who took the best bits the "mini" then flogged a dead horse for £1 ohh those germans murph don't i recognise u from the sorento forum with paddy .

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
The Triumph Aclaim was a Honda. Rover didn't crap on Honda, it was their owners at the time.. British Aerospace. The Rover people were not very happy about the deal with BMW from the start.

BMW were only really interested in Rover's front wheel drive and 4x4 expertise. As soon as they had got what they wanted they dumped Rover in the poo.

The cars always got a lot of stick but based on the number you still see around, both at home and abroad, they can't have been that bad.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Calm down dear it's only a forum, i suppose i could have put BA but people would have thought we were talking about planes
rover everybody knows ye, and yes the cars are still on the road and yes they weren't that bad if you had a good one, where the doors would open so you could get out of the carfind me one that didn't need a new head gasket and find me one that when you opend the windows to letsome air in the glass wouldn't fall into the door and so and so on i used to work for rover garages and the faults they used to come in with that we had to put right was well crap no offence

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Ha ha! I was perfectly calm when I wrote that. You should hear me when I really get going!

4 cylinder K series engines do have a reputation for blowing head gaskets. My Metro only lasted 140k before the damn thing blew.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Metro's know that takes me back you were lucky 140k or 14k had a 1.4i rover again with the k series had 19k on the clock going up the m4 and steam every where and out of warantee
i was not a happy bunny so bought a sorento enough said about that as well 17k on the clock when the lower crank pully sheard off kia customer services were rubbish hope they have changed !!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts