Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmmm, spent ages waiting to be recovered today - metal on metal brakes....

58K - full main dealer service, no mention of low pads at all, checked every sheet from the dealer!!!!

Hmmmmm - less than happy. No wear indicators it seems???

RAC had to smack the wheel off with a hammer, suggested it had not been removed for ages - should the wheels be popped off at a major service to check stuff?

Going to a (new) dealer tomorrow, will ask that all parts are kept and I feel that the first dealer has just not been doing everything they should ??

Worried now, if they had not checked the brakes, what else have they skimped on...

Anyone else had such experiences, please tell me that there are decent dealers out there and that I have made a good investment here - lol

·
Registered
887 Posts
Shocking, there are some bad ones out there, There are audible warning indicators on the pads, make a hugely irritating high pitched squeal when they hit them, but I've often seen them missing come pad change time.
To service a car properly, yes the wheel should come off, to adjust the handbrake properly, the wheels need to come off!

Edited by: murphwiz

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would Kia be interested to hear??
I presume trading standards would be as well?

I really want a refund of the entire service as a goodwill gesture, whats the best way to start with this?

It caused me significant inconvenience...

:)

·
Registered
887 Posts
You can try Kia direct, or contact dealer concerned, they should really take you very seriously, after all, you've been left with a car with no brakes!
At very least your last service invoice should've had a report stating your brakes were getting low, did they do one of kias vehicle health check forms as well as a service sheet?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, got the last three - no mention of brakes at all - grrrr.....

:-(

Looks poor for KIA eh, Ceed on a tow truck under two years old - lol.
On a brighter note, the RAC and the tow contractor were both surprised to be out to a ceed!

·
Registered
887 Posts
dmcclymont said:
Yes, got the last three - no mention of brakes at all - grrrr.....
In that case I'd be going back to servicing dealer and asking them to replace brakes free of charge and to explain why it was missed on the service?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sorry to hear about this.I wouldn't assume too much that if the wheels were stuck on, it means they hadn't been removed for a very long time. My Saab wheels stick on, even with copper grease applied. Each time I need to remove them I have to use a fence post as a lever and still give it a good hitting with a mallet. A VW Transporter T5 van (with alloys) used to do the same to me too. I once took about an hour to removed a wheel. I had to borrow a fencing mallet (a giant rubber mallet) as all other efforts failed. In all cases, the wheels were removed about 6 months previous.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, I must admit I am led by the RAC (*2) here, suggesting that the wheels had not even been removed, Might just stick to the why did the brakes go bald on a serviced car approach!

Thanks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yes, in your case it sounds like the RAC are correct in assuming the wheels haven't been removed as the brakes are shot.My father just put is Toyota Land Cruiser in for a major service and to replace the brake fluid as he commented that the brakes were poor. Got the car back with new brake fluid, but no improvement. So my father checked himself and found both front disks badly corroded on the inside edges and then found it was due to brake pistons being ceased (and only braking on the outside edge of the front disks). He ordered the parts and did it himself. Obviously the garage never checked during the service (which was wrong), but more worryingly didn't even look when the customer complained about poor braking.. and then didn't even notice the corrected disks when changing the brake fluid.
So, your story isn't a complete surprise.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Final verdict - 4 baldy brakes - 2 trashed disks
New fuse fixed the accessory socket - time to ask for some dosh back I feel!!!

:)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just had the rear discs and pads replaced on my 08 CEED SW. Done under warranty as I had a judder on braking at low speed. It felt like the brakes were being dabbed on and off. Unfortunately, it's going back in tomorrow as the judder is still there, so it looks like the fonts are going to be done now.

Can't fault the dealer on this one. They said they wanted it sorted as much as me when I apologised for being a pain about it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts