Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I saw my new Sorento come up with HDA on the cluster when travelling on a motorway after picking the car up. Since then I have not seen it appear. I have not been driving on a motorway since then though. Is this something that only comes on on certain roads? Also, I can't find a setting for HDA in setup at all.

Have people been using HDA on their cars, when did it activate, and did you have to set it up in setup?

Loving the car so far as are the family and I am enjoying driving a large 7 seater around in silence. There are times when people are looking at the car in car parks more closely than usual and I am sure this is because it doesn't have a clattery diesel under the bonnet!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I ve used a good few times and it’s spot on, makes 4 hour driving trips a doddle.

To set it up, I just Click The cruise control button set my speed, distance and press the little steering wheel and off it goes.

It was a bit unnerving the first time coming up behind very slow traffic and letting the car brake and bring itself to stop, and then driving off again..!!

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Although such technology is the future, I shall eschew it until we actually get to the point of having millions of driverless cars on British roads. I have switched off some of the tech features in my current car as I prefer to control lane-keeping (or not!) by myself. I'm happy with smart cruise control and FCA for the present.

·
Registered
60 Posts
With our congested roads/motorways, I find it better to mostly have control then use the HDA too often - as sometimes need to be able to anticipate the other drivers intentions which HDA does not do.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With our congested roads/motorways, I find it better to mostly have control then use the HDA too often - as sometimes need to be able to anticipate the other drivers intentions which HDA does not do.
That is one of the issues I have with adaptive cruise - it doesn't see beyond the car in front. I can see brake lights far earlier and anticipate any braking far better than the cruise control can.

·
Registered
KIA Sorento PHEV 4 - 2021 reg.
6 Posts
Hello folks - I'm new to KIA owners club. Got a Sorento PHEV 2021 reg recently. Been on two motorway trips. First M4+M40+M5 (120 miles each way) and HDA worked nicely both onward and return on motorways (and turned off automatically on A-roads).

Took my second motorway trip today - M4-M25-M11. HDA worked well for nearly 90 miles. Somewhere on M11 it stopped working and got a fault / warning saying "Check HDA System". It just didn't work after that. Anyone experienced this before? Does HDA work only on certain motorways? (Saw in a US dealer video which said it works on certain roads but don't know if that's the same in the UK. Also, if that's the case, not sure why it's showing a fault warning instead of just turning off as it does on A roads.)

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi EsTee

I would first check that your front end radar sensor i=s clear (the black square of plastic in the front grille). If this si particularly dirty it could cause the system to not work. You are right in saying that HDA should just disengage rather that through up an error message. If turning the car off for a few hours does not get it back working at the sensors are clear then a trip to the dealer would be needed I think.

HDA works on only motorways in the UK and it seems pretty accurate as to when it turns itself on and off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi EsTee

I would first check that your front end radar sensor i=s clear (the black square of plastic in the front grille). If this si particularly dirty it could cause the system to not work. You are right in saying that HDA should just disengage rather that through up an error message. If turning the car off for a few hours does not get it back working at the sensors are clear then a trip to the dealer would be needed I think.

HDA works on only motorways in the UK and it seems pretty accurate as to when it turns itself on and off.
Thank you Gailjon. I have cleaned the radar sensor plate at the front (it wasn't particularly dirty). I will give it a go tomorrow when I'll be back on the motorway.

·
Registered
15 Posts
In my country HDA works only on highways and some motorways. At the same highway some time it is activated, some times not, I don't know why. Sometime it is displayed in green sometime in white. Not sure what it really means and if the system is working even if it is displayed in white. My understanding was, on top of smart cruise control this introduces some slow down in curvy highways and automatic change of speed based on signs on highway. However, not sure if it is based only on map data or works with traffic signs reading together. If anyone more experienced can explain in a bit more detail, I will be happy to know how to use this correctly and safely.

*new sorento manual is one of the biggest books I have ever seen for some car, however I'm missing basic vital information there (did you find in your manual how to get screen wipers into service position for example?), while I feel like there is at least 5 warnings not to do something stupid on each page :-(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi EsTee

So, back on the motorways. Cleaned the radar sensor plate and front camera (on the grill) before I started driving.

After about 40 miles on A-roads, I joined A1(M) and HDA came on by itself. After about 15 miles, joined an A-road again and it went off. Then after several miles, joined M25 and it came on again by itself and worked well. Exited M25 and joined M4. It briefly went off on the slip road but came back on as soon as I joined M4 proper. So far so good.

I was on the section of M4 where roadworks are in progress with 50m speed limit. HDA was still working for a while until I got the error again - "check HDA system" with a fault triangle warning on the cluster display. I thought a visit to the dealer was looming.

However once I was past the roadworks and into the newly laid section of M4, the fault indicator vanished and HDA came back on automatically! I thought back about what had happened when the fault occurred and remembered that momentarily before the HDA error came up, I had noticed that Lane Follow Assist went off (the steering wheel symbol turned white from green). That's because the lane markings were not very clear at that section of M4 where roadworks were in progress. In the section of M4 past the roadworks (newly laid), the lane markings were very clear - and HDA came back on. That also reminded me - the fault occurred on M11 couple of days ago (after which I posted here asking for help) on a section where there were roadworks where some lane markings were not very clear. However it did not turn back on and I soon left M11 to join an A-road.

So, I suspect that whilst HDA 'wants' to be active (as the car is on the motorway) if lane markings are not very clear and Lane Follow Assist isn't able to work properly, it throws up a HDA error and a fault indicator comes up on the cluster. At least, that's the conclusion that I came to after the experience today.

(Sorry for the long reply!)

·
Registered
MY21 Stonic GT-Line S ISG MHEV iMT
417 Posts
Is ‘check HDA system’ the only message appearing?
I have had a couple of instances of ‘Camera obscured, the collision warning system will have reduced functionality’ in the past week.
This was due to a build up of condensation in the LFA camera on top of the windscreen during the freezing weather we are experiencing.
Which I was able to clearby increasing the cabin temperature by one or two degrees for a few minutes.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The HDA shouldn't be coming up with an error, i would pay a visit to the dealer. If the steering wheel goes from green to white,like you say, there is an issue with reading the lines.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is ‘check HDA system’ the only message appearing?
I have had a couple of instances of ‘Camera obscured, the collision warning system will have reduced functionality’ in the past week.
This was due to a build up of condensation in the LFA camera on top of the windscreen during the freezing weather we are experiencing.
Which I was able to clearby increasing the cabin temperature by one or two degrees for a few minutes.
Hello Fenegroni - yes, that's the only message appearing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The HDA shouldn't be coming up with an error, i would pay a visit to the dealer. If the steering wheel goes from green to white,like you say, there is an issue with reading the lines.
Thank you Adams14. I will visit the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
Niro 2020 HEV 4
7,499 Posts
Which is perfectly normal behaviour. (y)

Reactions: Radiorail

·
Registered
15 Posts
Maybe all of you knew already, but for me it's new learning, so sharing - even if HDA is displayed on highway after engaging SCC, it is not actually working if it is white. It must be green to work and it is green only when you set speed on SCC matching (or lower) than allowed speed on that particular road (speed data taken from maps probably).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Maybe all of you knew already, but for me it's new learning, so sharing - even if HDA is displayed on highway after engaging SCC, it is not actually working if it is white. It must be green to work and it is green only when you set speed on SCC matching (or lower) than allowed speed on that particular road (speed data taken from maps probably).
That's correct.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Mine is also coming up with an error every so often.

Seems random and not connected with a dirty sensor.

Car is full of salt and muck currently, but it was working fine on the M5.

However - I am sure that is also supposed to advise you when to change lanes - not seen this at all and I have no idea how. Maybe I misread the manual.

·
Super Moderator
Niro 2020 HEV 4
7,499 Posts
Usually if you do not indicate it will tug at the steering wheel to keep you in lane & or beep at you.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts