Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been using Total Excellium Diesel for the last couple of months.
Now I would have expected some sort of slight consumption improvement, but if anything it gone from between 38 ""“ 39 MPG to 34 ""“ 35 MPG??.
Mmmmm, it is coming up for it's first service, maybe a change of air filter might improve it.

But I wouldn't bother buying the expensive stuff ""“ the only visible performance is in the speed of the money counter on the pump

·
Registered
9 Posts
That's very poor for a 2L turbo diesel. I have a KX2 Petrol AWD andI'm getting 27mpg in town driving and 37mpg on the dual carriageway. I'm filling up with Asda/Tesco 95ron.I've seen a small improvement over the 3000 miles I've put on the clock. Perhaps your consumption figures will improve further as the engine breaks in.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's now got 11,500 on the clock so it should be well broken in.

Last year this time on the same route I was getting 49MPG.
Not sure what is going on, but I'm going to go back on the normal diesel before it goes in for service just to see what happens.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Are these figures from the trip computer or from manual brim to brim calculations?

·
Registered
290 Posts
I wouldnt take to much notice of the trip computer.Ive had my kx2 petrol 1 year now and have logged every litre of fuel i have put in it and it has averaged 25 mpg although the trip computer says 29.To be fair to the car it is only used for local runs.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Techno,
I couldn't do the calculation accurately on the last refill because I had to give the Sat-Nav the big re-boot (Locked up again!) and when you do this it zero's everything.
However and this is interesting ... did the calculation for the previous re-fill brim to brim and got:
Indicated 38.8 and actual 39.23 MPG.
Speedo (Summer tyres) 70MPH Indicated & 68MPH on GPS.
(Speedo & GPS read the same with winters on)
So is it possible that my fuel computer is playing up?

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
ianv said:
So is it possible that my fuel computer is playing up?

Hi,

Fuel computers are notorious for giving optimistic readings. In fact, yours looks very good compared to others I've used or been told about.

To get a reasonably accurate overall figure you would need to brim the tank several times and compare against the mileage reading from the odometer.

Which raises the next question... has anybody compared the indicated miles travelled on the sat nav against the miles travelled indicated on the odometer?

Edited by: Techno

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mmm I think I can do that... I have a Pogo Alert+ and it does log all the journeys... I'll have a go at downloading it in the morning.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK checked it.
Trip A recorded 202.7 Milesand the GPS logger recorded 207.1 Miles

·
Registered
52 Posts
I know mine only does 35-36 mpg, even on a long trip it doesnt get any better. wife uses it during week to go to work which is a 14 mile round trip with about 4-5 of that around town. really thought i would get around 40 but at least it drives nice

Edited by: Grenadekid

·
Registered
662 Posts
ianv said:
Now I would have expected some sort of slight consumption improvement, but if anything it gone from between 38 ""“ 39 MPG to 34 ""“ 35 MPG??.
Mmmmm, it is coming up for it's first service, maybe a change of air filter might improve it.

But I wouldn't bother buying the expensive stuff ""“ the only visible performance is in the speed of the money counter on the pump

something to do with the colder weather me thinks

·
Registered
52 Posts
Viking Paul said:
ianv said:

something to do with the colder weather me thinks
Yep think so myself as back a couple of weeks ago when the temp dipped and ice in mornings, jeep dropped to about 32-33 mpg warm weather this last week so back up to norm

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Now its November the garages are using winter diesel and I know from experience driving a van a thousand mile in 4 days you dont get as good as fuel cosumption as summer diesel. It a bit of cold mornings and the winter blend that does it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts