Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Titanium Silver Kia Picanto GT-Line S 1.0 TGDI
11 Posts
Hi
I use Shell V Power 99 octane it in my Picanto 1.0 TGDI engine, I get a better mpg & the engine is allot more smoother. Due to the picanto only has a 35 litre tank there is not a massive difference in cost at the pumps. Maybe another £2.50 extra over 95 octance. I do have a Bluespark tuning box on my car, whilst it will run on 95 octane, it seems to run allot better on the higher octane shell v power. hope this helps.

·
Registered
Fusion white 2014 Proceed GT Tech
553 Posts
My last two cars - one turbo and one n.a. - there was no noticeable difference in performance between 95/97/99 or any appreciable difference in mpg. But like bello1 says, idle was/is smoother in both on the higher octane (and the G4FJ can have a notoriously lumpy idle), and likewise pickup was/is slightly improved, notably in higher gears.

The benefit I'm happy to pay for is the extra cleaning additives; I really hope Shell don't lie about including those! But to be fair, the price difference on a tank full is probably about the same a bottle of snake oil from Halfords. It's probably a better use of money to perhaps have every fourth fill with V-Power or whatever.

·
Registered
145 Posts
For cars that can sufficiently advance the timing to take full advantage, there would definitely be a performance benefit in using higher octane fuel. However I'm doubtful that a regular Picanto could sufficiently do this?

The alleged cleaning benefits are even more doubtful. Even Shell don't really stand by the claims, judging by all the weasel words and general ar5e-covering in the small print of their promotional material (''Actual benefits may vary. No guarantees provided", etc)... Shell V-Power Unleaded

·
Registered
963 Posts
Is it worth get shell v power and the BP ultimate now and again
Been using supermarket fuels (petrol and diesel) for all but 3 or 4 refuels a year (when we are on holiday and no supermarkets) since the mid 80's and never had a single issue, probably more than 1/2 a million miles. Even when we have to buy branded fuel I still use the standard stuff i.e. 95 RON petrol.

But never had a car that specifically says to used a higher RON, if we had owned such a car I would have used it. Even then with knock sensors a fill up with lower RON will do no harm, it says on both of our current cars to use 95 RON but if unavailable you can go as low as 91 RON with no issues (but it warns it will do less mpg and not perform as well).

Pretty sure its all in the mind for most owners, if they pay more it has to feel better. If it didn't why on earth would they buy it? Like people who buy a BMW instead of a Kia or a Skoda, it costs more thus it must be better but we all know its not.

·
Super Moderator
4,314 Posts
As we would say in Yorkshire... Why throw money away :eek:

Having tried them in both cars & bikes. I have never found the increased cost to be reaped back in better MPG. Which is the only metric that counts.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
There is an easy way to find out. When your fuel tank is low, try the single-malt variety and see if you notice any difference. Repeat the process on the next refuel and see what you think.

After that trial, revert to the Bell's or Teacher's blended stuff - you will then be as much of an expert as any of the correspondents to this thread.

😂 Slàinte Mhath!

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have used Shell V Power in my last two cars for the last 6 years. I get a very slightly improved mpg, not good enough to be worth the extra expense alone, but in 6 years of driving a diesel engined motor of one make or another I have never seen the dreaded DPF Regen light come on. For me that justifies the extra expense, but everyone will have their own opinion on that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
963 Posts
but in 6 years of driving a diesel engined motor of one make or another I have never seen the dreaded DPF Regen light come on. For me that justifies the extra expense, but everyone will have their own opinion on that.
We drove DPF cars for over 7 years using supermarket fuel and never had the DPF light come on.

For me that justified not spending a single penny extra on V power or similar. Why would you when BS EN 590 is the diesel Kia specify and all diesel sold in the UK meets that spec. And also remember that supermarket fuel comes from the same tanks as branded fuel.

·
Registered
418 Posts
And also remember that supermarket fuel comes from the same tanks as branded fuel.
Whilst that is true - different 'brands' of fuel do get different additive's added at the point of filling the various tankers.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Whilst that is true - different 'brands' of fuel do get different additive's added at the point of filling the various tankers.
And there is the next question, what are the additives, what do they do and are they any good? Shell as an example tell us theirs are the best but without proof their claims are meaningless. Equally BP say theirs ate the best as do all the other sellers, they cannot all be the best can they. Even Tesco say their 99 octane is the best. As I have said before, when people pay more they have to justify that extra cost and they do that by convincing themselves its better. But when you have not a single issue over 35 years on supermarket fuel how could it be any better.

And remember, even the most vocal advocates admit that the slightly better mpg does not pay for the difference.

·
Super Moderator
4,314 Posts
As the marketing teams love to say "A fool & their money are easily parted"

Make interesting reading as Shell refers BP claims to ASA...

Reactions: Zebster

·
Registered
418 Posts
And there is the next question, what are the additives, what do they do and are they any good? Shell as an example tell us theirs are the best but without proof their claims are meaningless. Equally BP say theirs ate the best as do all the other sellers, they cannot all be the best can they. Even Tesco say their 99 octane is the best. As I have said before, when people pay more they have to justify that extra cost and they do that by convincing themselves its better. But when you have not a single issue over 35 years on supermarket fuel how could it be any better.

And remember, even the most vocal advocates admit that the slightly better mpg does not pay for the difference.
I absolutely agree on all of what you posted here - but my statement is absolutely accurate in that the fuel is 'different' by the time it gets to the pumps.
You pays your money and takes your chances - some cars might prefer one brands additive package another car might prefer a different package.
The only car I have had reasonably recently that preferred Tesco 99 was a VW Polo 1.4 16v which used to 'Pink' on the standard sauce.
I have been mostly using 'Vin Ordinaire' Shell diesel in our Sportage during the last 2 years - but only because we happen to drive past it regularly and it is a nice little country filling station,other than that I use whatever is nearby and/or cheaper.If I am going on a long high speed trip I do sometimes put expensive fuel in the cars,the night before leaving.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I absolutely agree on all of what you posted here - but my statement is absolutely accurate in that the fuel is 'different' by the time it gets to the pumps.
No its not. Its exactly the same fuel as is put in the taker form storage with a few unspecified additives added, they are the only difference. Do those additives do any good? we have no idea since the oil companies keep them secret. Perhaps if we had a clue what they were we could possibly find out what the really do.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I just said that it is 'different' - I did not say it was better ;)

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I can't wait to see the OP's response to the replies his post has attracted.......that is, if he's minded to add to his solitary post in the forum.:)

·
Registered
Fusion white 2014 Proceed GT Tech
553 Posts
I can't wait to see the OP's response to the replies his post has attracted.......that is, if he's minded to add to his solitary post in the forum.:)
I think the takeaway is: "you pays your money and you takes your choice"

Some people like to 'waste' money on expensive fuels, some people like to 'waste' money on the depreciation of a brand new car. All a personal choice, and all irrelevant in the end.

Reactions: ArthurCollins2
1 - 17 of 17 Posts